Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2015, 03:50   #121

Re: Inboard Or Outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
For me the inboard/outboard debate is not an emotional one! That's not what I see when reading your posts.

Wjat wirks better is safer, gives more advantages gets jigher marks in my book, its that simple. Then you clearly want an outboard.

Compare the mono vs multi repeated debates where pure raw emotions fog the clear analysis we need to make decision where to invest our money!

Adding to that, I have years experience with both outboard and inboard powered cats, the inboard powere one 10 years and Inwouldnt go vack to the 4 stroke outboard on my former cat. How many decades ago? Our modern outboard has been trouble free.

The reason, it is a great feeling to wake up in the morning and start the marine diesel engine, enjoy its quiet if you insulated the engine chamber well and set of smooth motoring until you are where you can rause your sails. No concerns with out outboard. Wake up and it just starts. So quiet you don't need special insulation

You know your electrical power is replenished, you have reliable engine that you can start if conditions require it. Modern cruising boats replenish electricity via solar but even with dead batteries, a couple pulls and the outboard is running just fine, so even more reliable.

Because my i boards are in their own engine room and no one sleeps above them no smell, smoke, and such noticeable. It us a pleasure to go through pre-cruise check list, the true hulls, is the engine ckean, no leaks of water, oil in the engine room bilge. No problem there either. Check the oil, crank and look for the cooling water tell tale. No need to deal with diesel smell and smoke, no thru hulls to leak or oil in the engine room.

Happy sailing all around!

My outboard powered cat was actually very well set up, it was a Tiki 30, and had a flybridge stern located outboard well. In good wave action the nirmally dry well and engine would slosh water onto the lid covering the well, affecting the outboard a beautifull Johnson 15 hp 4-stroke. The outbiard charged my batteries at 10Amp hext to my solar panels, but when water slished around in engine well the charging got cut. Ok I only used the outbiard to get in and out of port, leave moorings, or gunkhole close to ciast or and in ciral reef channels. I enjoyed that Tiki but realized that for serious cruising I would need what I got since 2007 a cat with inboards.
You say is was well set up but then go on about how poorly it was set up. We have 1000hrs of motoring with our outboard powered cat and never had any similar issues.

I am curioys why no obe picked up on the position of the yacht ibsurers whose website I posted earlier. You quote random sources not actual insurance company quotes. Our boat came with the option of diesel (in those model years), so there is a direct comparison. We've talked to a few of the diesel version owners and the insurance cost appears to be about the same or at least close enough you couldn't split out a difference attributable to fuel type.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
It's Ok to use diesel and as you get into large boats some of the advantages shift toward diesel but for smaller (sub 40' cats) outboards make a ton of sense.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 04:44   #122
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
For me the inboard/outboard debate is not an emotional one! Wjat wirks better is safer, gives more advantages gets jigher marks in my book, its that simple. Compare the mono vs multi repeated debates where pure raw emotions fog the clear analysis we need to make decision where to invest our money!

Adding to that, I have years experience with both outboard and inboard powered cats, the inboard powere one 10 years and Inwouldnt go vack to the 4 stroke outboard on my former cat. The reason, it is a great feeling to wake up in the morning and start the marine diesel engine, enjoy its quiet if you insulated the engine chamber well and set of smooth motoring until you are where you can rause your sails. You know your electrical power is replenished, you have reliable engine that you can start if conditions require it. Because my i boards are in their own engine room and no one sleeps above them no smell, smoke, and such noticeable. It us a pleasure to go through pre-cruise check list, the true hulls, is the engine ckean, no leaks of water, oil in the engine room bilge. Happy sailing all around!

My outboard powered cat was actually very well set up, it was a Tiki 30, and had a flybridge stern located outboard well. In good wave action the nirmally dry well and engine would slosh water onto the lid covering the well, affecting the outboard a beautifull Johnson 15 hp 4-stroke. The outbiard charged my batteries at 10Amp hext to my solar panels, but when water slished around in engine well the charging got cut. Ok I only used the outbiard to get in and out of port, leave moorings, or gunkhole close to ciast or and in ciral reef channels. I enjoyed that Tiki but realized that for serious cruising I would need what I got since 2007 a cat with inboards.

I am curioys why no obe picked up on the position of the yacht ibsurers whose website I posted earlier.

Sounds as if you're very happy with your choice of a diesel powered cat. I applaud that and appreciate your thoughts behind your choice. I prefer outboards as do quite a few other members here. I think we have given our reasons for preferring outboards and hopefully you can appreciate our choice.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 07:36   #123
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Ofcourse I respect and I think we got to analyse this issue deeper, better than before on CF.

Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 00:42   #124

Quote:
Brains do cone in here but why disrespect each other. I know I probably made this point before but abide with me it seems to be necessary to clarify. Can liveaboard long time cruisers who will cruise in the tropics pkease come in here and give their opininion on my view that inboard for long term tropical cruisers best, weekend cruisers outboards acceprable.
Already have several times. We live aboard full time, for 5 years, cruise in the tropics and subtropics, and wouldn't swap our outboards for diesels for quids. Lots of quids.

For the past few weeks we've been sharing anchorages with 4 other outboard powered, full-time liveaboard cruising cat's. None of them would consider swapping for inboards. (One does have diesel outboards.)

But it's your own decision. What works for you may not work for me, and vice versa.

My view is - an outboard powered boat is a better sailing boat. A diesel boat is a better motor boat. I like sailboats.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 23:39   #125

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran

Our current boat is diesel, but only because we couldn't find a larger outboard driven catamaran, and frankly didn't understand the trade offs until buying and having a diesel powered catamaran. After 10 years with a diesel catamaran, I do honestly regret not having a boat like 44 Cruising Cat. I'd save a ton of maintenance costs and headaches. Again, I'm looking at 3-5k for props alone. If my saildrives go, what is that, at least another 2k per? Yes, you can rebuild your diesel engines for maybe 3-5k, but I've known a lot of cruisers who had their diesel engines rebuilt only to blow up 500 miles later and then have to do a full replacement. Actually I've known some westerbeke catamarans where the diesel engines lasted less than two years.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 08:23   #126

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief

I started a conversation about 5 years ago...same topic

I'd like to ask if there would be any issues mounting the outboards on the sugarscoops/hulls?

Also, as far as safety....there IS some legitimacy that gas is more volatile than diesel. This is why the government paid Mercury to develop a diesel outboard for ships. They attributed some of the naval vessel fires to the storage of gas for the RIB's

OptiMax Diesel – Reporting for Duty! | Mercury Racing
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 13:55   #127

The problem with mounting on sugarscoops is that mounted so far aft, the propellers are likely to keep coming out of the water in any kind of waves. Also a fair chance of dunking the motors from time to time.

Yes, petrol is definitely more volatile than diesel. Which is why we use a different fuel system, with tanks in self draining lockers and all fuel lines able to drain overboard if they leak.
Old 24-07-2015, 14:14   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
I started a conversation about 5 years ago...same topic

I'd like to ask if there would be any issues mounting the outboards on the sugarscoops/hulls?

Also, as far as safety....there IS some legitimacy that gas is more volatile than diesel. This is why the government paid Mercury to develop a diesel outboard for ships. They attributed some of the naval vessel fires to the storage of gas for the RIB's

OptiMax Diesel – Reporting for Duty! | Mercury Racing
The further forward the better to avoid dunking the engine. Our Gemini is only about 3' forward of the hull transoms but the bucket will rise if a wave comes up from behind addressing the issue. Never been close to dunking the motor. The 2nd step will get an occasional dunk with heavy following seas.

Military specs are different from normal specs. You have to really dig into thier reasoning and see if it applies to personal use. I suspect it has more to do with thier ships already having as supply of diesel handy. Of course, there used to be yanmar diesel outboards and they didn't feel it was worth bringing them up to spec and dropped them from the US market.
Old 24-07-2015, 16:01   #129

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

My two 9.9 outboards are mounted on my the transoms of my 36' cat.
Yes, they totally lose their bite on the water in any waves at all.
I would love to move them forward, but 1)they work good enough, 2)my boat folds leaving no room to mount inside the tunnel between the hulls. Anyways, I love the outboards, and I can work on them myself, in my own shop.
I sail 99.9% of the time anyway, but don't tell the other thread!

solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 08:01   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
My two 9.9 outboards are mounted on my the transoms of my 36' cat.
Yes, they totally lose their bite on the water in any waves at all.
I would love to move them forward, but 1)they work good enough, 2)my boat folds leaving no room to mount inside the tunnel between the hulls. Anyways, I love the outboards, and I can work on them myself, in my own shop.
I sail 99.9% of the time anyway, but don't tell the other thread!
I feel mounted in the rear of the hulls might still be the best of the options.

Wouldn't there be a performance difference between two outboard..closer together on the transom, vs. farther apart on the hulls?

If mounting them more forward (like PDQ's..in bridge deck area) is not an option.

Granted rough seas would be an issue...however, using ANY outboard configuration would not be the best or as good in rough seas as shaft drive/saildrive.
Old 26-07-2015, 08:37   #131

Quote:

Wouldn't there be a performance difference between two outboard..closer together on the transom, vs. farther apart on the hulls?

If mounting them more forward (like PDQ's..in bridge deck area) is not an option.

Granted rough seas would be an issue...however, using ANY outboard configuration would not be the best or as good in rough seas as shaft drive/saildrive.
Not dunking the motor takes precedence. Also even the smaller narrower cats are 14-16' beam so you still can work the motors against each other to turn in place.

I seriously doubt you will see any performance gain from putting them on the stern. You may be confusing typical monohull designs where it's the only place to put an outboard.
Old 26-07-2015, 14:31   #132

Quote:

But that's the point. You aim to minimise the problem, not make it worse.

Why Is mounting them further forward not an option?
Old 27-07-2015, 05:47   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Why Is mounting them further forward not an option?
IDK, I was just thinking it may be more difficult...just trying to understand Pro's & Con's
Old 27-07-2015, 13:07   #134
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

[QUOTE=ArmyChief;1876603]
Quote:
Why. A genuine question. Of all the outboard powered cats I have sailed, and there have been many, the ones with the engines on the transoms (very few) were less useable, and you lost the lovely advantage of of the transom swim platforms.

Quote:
I am sorry I dont follow. Are you suggesting two engines on one transom?
Quote:
Granted rough seas would be an issue...however, using ANY outboard configuration would not be the best or as good in rough seas as shaft drive/saildrive
Thats not what my experience tells me. I defy you to pick the difference in performance under motor of say an 1160 seawind which is available as outboard and inboard.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 13:58   #135

Boat: Seaward 22

I believe a mechanism could be design and built on the outer sides of each hull, balanced fore and aft to raise and lower long shaft outboards. Can anyone else picture this setup and comment on pitfalls or advantages?
EllisElectric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard