Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-05-2011, 18:33   #481

Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

The boat itself was about A$250,000. So the import duty, GST and AQIS inspection works out to be about $50,000.
Ausaviator is pretty close to the mark, they quote about $70,000 for the handling and delivery costs. I'm sure the brokers have built in their margins and fair enough, they have to make a living.
It does, however illustrate the savings that can be made by doing it yourself. Any money saved in purchase and delivery costs is compounded by not having to pay duty and GST on that sum. A double whammy saving!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 23:36   #482

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

I don't think you would have to pay duty on the handling charge but you certainly would have to pay GST.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 18:15   #483

Boat: Dean catamaran 40

I just imported a yacht into Australia, it was not that painfull.
Just had to pay GST,duty and some quarante fees.
because I had purchased the boat a few years before I sailed it over they would not accept my purchase documents as th eboats value. Had to get a surveyer to value the boat here, so I lost a few bucks there.
I did not have to get it sprayed at all, the quarante guy was about 18 years old and just asked it it was made from wood, It is glass so he signed off on it and walked away. I guess that was a lottery win.
kingnuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 18:39   #484

I just got a rough quote from an Australian importer of $60k for shipping a 43' motor cat just for peoples interest. He said I'd be up for 10% GST also but not Import Duty as we have a free trade agreement with the states... does this sound right? Also would there be a luxury tax requirement?

This was from Florida to Brisbane.

Anyone know roughly what it might cost to change the electrics over? I know this will vary hugely based on the boat - just wondering how big a job it is. Is it just changing plugs etc or is it recabling the whole thing?

Also did I read somewhere that any aircons should be drained before they send the boat because it can be quite expensive downunder to rid them of the now illegal refrigerant gas used?
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 19:08   #485

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Originally Posted by djambalawa View Post
I just got a rough quote from an Australian importer of $60k for shipping a 43' motor cat just for peoples interest. He said I'd be up for 10% GST also but not Import Duty as we have a free trade agreement with the states... does this sound right? Also would there be a luxury tax requirement?

This was from Florida to Brisbane.

Anyone know roughly what it might cost to change the electrics over? I know this will vary hugely based on the boat - just wondering how big a job it is. Is it just changing plugs etc or is it recabling the whole thing?

Also did I read somewhere that any aircons should be drained before they send the boat because it can be quite expensive downunder to rid them of the now illegal refrigerant gas used?
There is no duty if the boat was made in USA or NZ otherwise you'll have to pay the 5% duty either way you have to pay GST on every thing including the shipping cost.

As for aircond, what gas does it have?
The Yanks are usually way ahead of us on this stuff.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 21:23   #486

Boat: VIA 42

Does anybody knows how the customs are evaluating your cost of shipment when you are delivering the boat by yourself to Australia?
Old 23-05-2011, 23:28   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainedetoile View Post
Does anybody knows how the customs are evaluating your cost of shipment when you are delivering the boat by yourself to Australia?
I only had to pay GST for the expenses bringing it from New Caledonia (my last port) to Bundaberg (although sailed it from Panama where it was purchased). So a little bit of fuel, charts, food).
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 23:59   #488
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainedetoile View Post
A few people have posted that its just food and fuel, so very little.

Have I got this right regarding the GST and Duty? They take the value of your proof of purchase price. But they use the exchange rate that was current for the country of purchase, but they calculate that rate according to what it was on the day of you left the last country before you arrived to Australia. Highly confusing and pointless. Or if they believe you are lying about the price, they will come up with a price (probably much higher than you paid) and charge you according to that.

This thread needs a new post inserted at the very beginning that lists all these points in one place. I might make a new thread on it if I commit to doing my planned US trip with all the key areas listed neatly in one post for future reference. I hope the moderators give me the ability to edit the post indefinitely (like all other forums I use) to make it as accurate as possible.

Cheers.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 01:34   #489

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnuggie View Post
I just imported a yacht into Australia, it was not that painfull.
Just had to pay GST,duty and some quarante fees.
because I had purchased the boat a few years before I sailed it over they would not accept my purchase documents as th eboats value. Had to get a surveyer to value the boat here, so I lost a few bucks there.
I did not have to get it sprayed at all, the quarante guy was about 18 years old and just asked it it was made from wood, It is glass so he signed off on it and walked away. I guess that was a lottery win.

I see this is your first post...Welcome aboard

As a matter of interest, what was your port of entry into Australia?
Also, is your boat light on wood, ie mainly fibreglass furniture with a bit of wood trim, or wood fit out as was popular until about 20 years ago?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 01:52   #490

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

@djambalawa I believe that IF the gas is CFC or HCFC you can apply for a one off permit to import the air con unit as is. Depending on the make, it may not have either of these gases.
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 16:52   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnuggie View Post
Welcome and thanks for your contribution, kingnuggie.

Perhaps Australian Customs has done you a favour in not recognising your purchase price? The valuation that you had to pay a surveyor for should be for a much lower price, considering our current poor state of the used boat market. This would translate to a lower cost of duty and GST for you.

Regarding the used catamaran market, I have recently attended two boat auctions in SE Queensland that featured 43 foot cats of quality design and build. Neither attracted even a "fair dinkum" starting bid.
Old 24-05-2011, 17:06   #492
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
I have recently attended two boat auctions in SE Queensland that featured 43 foot cats of quality design and build. Neither attracted even a "fair dinkum" starting bid.

What boats
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 01:31   #493

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Welcome and thanks for your contribution, kingnuggie.

Perhaps Australian Customs has done you a favour in not recognising your purchase price? The valuation that you had to pay a surveyor for should be for a much lower price, considering our current poor state of the used boat market. This would translate to a lower cost of duty and GST for you.
I think it would be better if Customs had accepted the actual purchase price rather than the surveyor's Australian market valuation as boats are cheaper overseas and, therefore, less GST would be payable. Am I missing something?
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 01:32   #494

The Crowther 42 "Two Shoes" at Rivergate and the Perry 43 "Conquistador"(ex charter) at Runaway Bay, both offered by Marine Auctions
Old 25-05-2011, 01:36   #495
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
The Crowther 42 "Two Shoes" at Rivergate and the Perry 43 "Conquistador"(ex charter) at Runaway Bay, both offered by Marine Auctions
Thanks for that - Two shoes was always going to be harder to move (no reflection on the boat - just the production Vs custom thing) but a perry 43 is usually worth at least a bid I would have thought?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia