Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 12:55   #331
Marine Service Provider

Im still keen to import and am looking for a syndicate partner. Should make purchasing much easier for both parties. With the average worker and their only 4 weeks leave, it makes sense.

Am interested in the volume of cats coming to Australia from USA etc; you hear plenty about people wanting to do it but would be interesting to hear how many end up doing it.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 13:10   #332

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
I would talk to the shipping register they may tell you how many boats are being registered as Australian ships, customs can tell you how many are arriving but with the tropical storm window a month or two from closing most boats will not have left yet.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 22:34   #333

I am considering importing a boat from Thailand. Does anyone have any advice on where to purchase insureance for a delivery?
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 22:40   #334
Marine Service Provider

Try Trident in WA. They offered me insurance from Tonga to Aus.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 18:48   #335

Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI - Lucey Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
I'm not sure who is telling people it will take months to get on the Aussie shipping register, but I rang them today to check if they had received my application and if there were any problems.
I was told that my boat name had been approved and what my rego number was so I can arrange for a plaque to be made.
They also told me I should have the forms processed this week which makes it less than 2 weeks.
It's hard to believe I'm dealing with a gov department.

So does any one have any suggestions on where to get a plaque made?
It has not been so easy for us. We bought our Lagoon 42 TPI last year from her Norwegian owners after they had completed the importation process into Australia – including the sniffer dog termite inspection. However, as a British ship I need to obtain a UK registration deletion certificate before I can apply for Australian registration. I have contacted the UK Ship Register a few times and while they are helpful there is still some paperwork to complete. Just a few more late night calls to the UK should sort it all out....
Old 17-02-2011, 23:47   #336

OK, that's a worry but that is with British Government, I'm about to go up against the French authorities next week.
As I am dealing direct with them in Guadeloupe I'm hopping to receive the certificate straight away as the vendor tells they will.
Old 18-02-2011, 00:33   #337

Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI - Lucey Blue
Good luck with the French transaction.

Cheers
Nick
Old 18-02-2011, 00:48   #338

Thanks the charter company has assured me that it will happen smoothly and that they have done this many times before even though I'm the first person to require an English translation.
Nice TPI 42 by the way, love the colour they certainly are one of the nicest looking and from what I've heard best built cats around.
Old 18-02-2011, 03:08   #339

Boat: Grainger cat
Good Luck Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady; I've been lurking with interest on this thread as I'm an Aussie in Europe looking for my next boat, which will be a cat, and I will eventually do the Aus import thing also.

I just had a look at the TPI 42 and I reckon you have made an excellent choice. It looks like a real sailing boat, by all reports has good seakeeping qualities, should be well built, and you have the long-term value advantage of having a name attached that has world-wide instant recognition.

I wish you the best of luck with the whole purchase/repatriation/import process and please please keep posting. I am very interested to hear of your progress.

Go you good thing! Someone's gotta make the jump.

Regards from the Groover
ocean_groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 04:40   #340
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Groover - Dragon isnt buying a TPI 42 - he/she (sorry I am really not sure which and do not want to offend) is buying a FP Lavezzi, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 04:59   #341

Boat: Grainger cat
Thanks Factor

Thanks for the correction Factor. Just re-read few posts and saw where I got the wrong end of the stick.

So looked at some Lavezzis. Like the layout, like the profile; should make a good cruising boat.

Regardless, I'm still banging a drum for Dragon Lady for good luck on his/her mission (I'm not sure either).

Regards to all from Groover
ocean_groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 08:26   #342

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the support and info that has come from this site.
It's been a long time coming.
My wife and I are currently in Paris having a few days frantic site seeing before we head to Martinique where we will find out how good the boat really is.
However I'm pretty confident that the extensive survey I had carried out will be on the money.
As for the Lavezzi they seem to have a lot going for them except the osmosis which has been fixed by a full hull peel below the waterline on this one.
Interestingly my delivery skipper has just told me if all goes well with my boat he will sell his boat and do the same.
Old 18-02-2011, 11:39   #343

YEP BOB NORSEN
"THE COASTAL PASSAGE" COULD BE AUSTRALIA'S 'LAT 38'.
A GREAT FREE MAGAZINE FROM SAN FRANCISCO.
AND WHY KNOT? WE HAVE A VAST OCEAN 'ROUND US.TIME WILL TELL.
ANTONY.
ANTONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 14:13   #344

Boat: deboated
Australians have been buying, sailing (no delivery skipper they cost money) and importing yachts for years from the US, Caribean and Europe. This is not the big challenge/adventure it has been made out to be.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 14:21   #345

Boat: deboated
Australians have been importing yachts from US, Caribean and Europe themselves for many many years. This is not some ground breaking adventure it seems to have become. Most do not have the money to pay for a delivery skipper nor want to anyway. Most do not want to broadcast there every move on the pretext of receiving advice, just get on with it
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia