Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 06:33   #1036

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Perhaps not, see post 1031.
ROFL... Boatman would do it... I've heard he's really cheap too

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 07:12   #1037

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

From aussiespeccaravans to ship your boat, Its $115-00 per cubic metre,

So if its 48 Cubic metres it will cost you $5520-00

Check out there website,

And they deliver it to your home port,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 02:39   #1038

Boat: Crowther Spindrift 40'

My god look at the prices of European boats,

I feel like a kid in a lolly shop.

Will the AUD reach parity with EURO?
Reefer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 03:04   #1039
Marine Service Provider

We can only hope it does! Ill be shopping in that candy shop too for something bigger.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 11:37   #1040

Well, I have been shopping in that Candy Store, I bought a 34 foot Boat and a 36 foot RV,

Both are American designed and Built, I imported both for my own use, And I am exceptionally pleased with both,

The cost savings by buying overseas against buying in Australia, Is phenomenal,

I buy every thing now on line, Australia has been ripping us off for too long, Global economy is what they wanted, Dont complain, when we do the same,

I looked at Boats and Buses here, I only had two options, Build it my self or buy overseas,

Building the boat myself, was twice as dear as the 2002 SV Gemini I did buy,

As buying in Australia was totally out of my budget, Too expensive, At least twice the price of an overseas Purchase,

Buy a boat here, and thats all I could do, I could not afford to park it any where, and I would not have any money left over for me or any thing else, I would have had to return to work just to maintain it, After 49 years I am retired and not going back to work,

The boat came from Fiji and the Bus came from Texas, Its a night mare outlaying bulk dollars for some thing I havent seen,

The months on the internet, looking, Then reducing it too one or two models of what I like and will totally suit my use,
Then the regulations for importing, There are a lot of regulations, There are things that you cant import, Boat no problems, But the Bus is full of pit falls,

Too long, too wide, Too much overhang. Dont comply with Australian ADR's, Conversion costs,
Engineers costs and mods, to make it comply, Nothing imported after the 1/1/ 1989,

But it was definately worth the stress of importing and converting to Australian Regulations and ADR's,
My Boat was half price to here, The Bus was a minimum of $30,000-000 saved from building one myself, and probably around a minimum of $50,000-00 If I bought a similar Bus here,

But Australia dont make RV's like the Yanks do, They are the tops in Mobile Homes.,With all the Bells and whistles, Its a 25 year old Bus and it has more Gizmo's in it than my own home has,

It all depends on your money situation as well, You are restricted to what your budget is, In my case, I have a set figure to retire on, And thats it, I have to use my funds to the best outcome for me,

As it was, I was going to sail to the Kimberleys in my boat, Doing a circumnavigation of OZ, Approx 2 years, Then selling the boat when I returned to Melbourne, and then either Building or Buying a Bus (RV) with the proceeds of selling the Boat,

Unfortunately, I sank my Boat on the way home, But it worked out good for me in the long run, The insurance paid me out in full, Allowing me to buy the wreck back from the insurance company, Repairing my Boat myself, and leaving me enough left over to buy my Bus now,

So I have both now, and still have enough left over to travel, Not much, But at least I wont be on a Sawdust Sandwich Budget, I can now buy the bread to put it on, Hahahahaha

This kid is very happy with his new El Cheapo toys, and no Mortgages or Rent to pay, I just have to find some one that likes travelling by Boat and Bus now,

My last female friend has decided Boats are out and left me, She got permanent seasickness,

Its a headache, But it is definately worth the trouble, And the savings are incredible, Go for it,

Cheers,
Brian,
Old 29-03-2013, 15:14   #1041

Boat: Dean catamaran 40

Brian
You are correct, i have imported three yachts and sailed them on their own bottoms from the USA and from the other side as well (Africa). Quite an adventure from all angles but for sure worth it. Yes those yanks sure do fit out their boats and trucks to the max. Australia is a rip off on so many fronts, it kills me to pay twice the price for something that is imported from China where the same product is cheaper after being made in China, imported to the USA then posted to me in Australia.
kingnuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 15:30   #1042

Boat: Outbound 44

Haven't you OZ importers saturated the local boat market with sailboats brought in and flipped yet? I've seen a ton of boats with OZ flags that were clearly being brought over to flip. You'd think at some point the market couldn't absorb them.
Old 29-03-2013, 15:47   #1043
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Haven't you OZ importers saturated the local boat market with sailboats brought in and flipped yet? I've seen a ton of boats with OZ flags that were clearly being brought over to flip. You'd think at some point the market couldn't absorb them.
Seems that way. This practice has caused a sharp dip in boat prices here in AU in spite of our good economy. The arbitrage gap is dropping.

My suggestion is do not over capitalize on the boat as it might not be as easy to sell as you think. I saw way too many people with huge loans on unnecessarily large and fancy boats who NEEDed to sell the boat for a good price ASAP when they got back to prevent financial hardship. Seems like there are many good boats for around the 100K mark. Buy with the aim to be able to keep the boat if need be IMO.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 15:54   #1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnuggie View Post
Brian
You are correct, i have imported three yachts and sailed them on their own bottoms from the USA and from the other side as well (Africa). Quite an adventure from all angles but for sure worth it. Yes those yanks sure do fit out their boats and trucks to the max. Australia is a rip off on so many fronts, it kills me to pay twice the price for something that is imported from China where the same product is cheaper after being made in China, imported to the USA then posted to me in Australia.
I have found that, The excuses I have been told, Is that the freight is the Killer in Australia,, What a load of crap,
Like you, Its made in China, England, Taiwan, Korea, Austria, Then its moved to all over the globe,
Its still a lot cheaper after it has gone around the world a few times, than buying in OZ and it hasnt travelled any where,

And I am not talking double the price, I am talking Quadrupling the prices at best,
I dont mind an honest mark up in prices, I would pay that, But price Gouging, They can go Broke as far as I am concerned,
Old 29-03-2013, 16:19   #1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

You would think so, but since the GFC there has been a down turn in the number of cruisers from the US coming here, so they are not selling their boats here and flying home. I also feel given my own circumstances that you fall in love with your boat, I had the plan of keeping my boat for 2 years, selling and getting another in the US and doing it again. My boat is for sale but not actively advertised. I love my boat and we are now into a 5 year cruising plan, to sell would put it back a bit.....Don't put off what you can do now because tomorrow never comes.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 16:20   #1046
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Looking at the other side of this question for a moment; I wonder if those who have imported a "cheap boat" into Australia and then sold it here (for whatever reason) have passed the cost savings onto the next buyer or sold it the "inflated Aussie" price?

For those who did sell for a handsome profit, was this just good sound business practice or ripping off the buyer? No judgement intended but wondering about consistency of viewpoint.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 16:51   #1047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Looking at the other side of this question for a moment; I wonder if those who have imported a "cheap boat" into Australia and then sold it here (for whatever reason) have passed the cost savings onto the next buyer or sold it the "inflated Aussie" price?

For those who did sell for a handsome profit, was this just good sound business practice or ripping off the buyer? No judgement intended but wondering about consistency of viewpoint.
If you buy a top end boat the other costs can be off set, a cheaper boat costs the same to move from the US to Oz. So a 50k boat + 10k toys + lost wages for self and SO ?k + tax 7k. If you don't include lost wages you may break even if you sell quickly. Of those that I know personally who have done this, all have kept the boat and are actively cruising.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 16:53   #1048
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

If I sell my boat I might break even on the cost of purchase + import fees and upgrades. So I won't be making money. But I will have saved a LOT compared to if I started by buying a similar boat here. The flip side is, I can afford to keep it. If I purchased a more expensive newish boat I may have been able to turn a profit if I was lucky, but I could also not afford to keep it and would be at the mercy of the decreasing market price.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 17:03   #1049
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Fair points
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 19:11   #1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
If I sell my boat I might break even on the cost of purchase + import fees and upgrades. So I won't be making money. But I will have saved a LOT compared to if I started by buying a similar boat here. The flip side is, I can afford to keep it. If I purchased a more expensive newish boat I may have been able to turn a profit if I was lucky, but I could also not afford to keep it and would be at the mercy of the decreasing market price.
Thats the crux of it, Keeping it, after you buy it, You have to have some money left,

Tags
Australia