Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 03:42   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If you buy the boat for $105k you pay GST on that. If you then buy a jetski for that boat for $45k you pay GST for that too. And perhaposduty of 5%

So in other words the total you paid.
What if the boat I purchase already has a tender or jetski? and do you think that I would be up for luxury sales tax as well?
hbey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:08   #77
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Read the stuff on the net about importing a yacht on the customs website. Its made as clear as a bell. And specific questions can be answered by phone. They are pretty reasonable folks

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 00:23   #78

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
My First Post- I'm excited

For some time now I have been investigating the possibility of flying overseas, purchasing a used catamaran and sailing it back to Australia (in the dark of nightJ). My wife and I intend to retire at the end of 2010 when we hope to implement the plan. What an adventure this would be! I don’t think I can make any money on the deal. But I think it is very possible to make the whole adventure close to cost neutral given the market value of the boat once back home. We make great boats here in Australia but they are very expensive relative to overseas. Australia didn’t take much of a hit during the GFC. Recession, what recession ? So boat prices have held up very well. We live on an island. The market is small but very active and there just isn’t the stock available to keep prices competitive. I thought I would post my thoughts on the subject for discussion and look forward to your response.
Planning and executing this adventure would be difficult but then if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Here is an example to illustrate my point about price comparisons.
At the time of writing in Australia there are two / FP Belize 43 for sale.
One of them A$449000 (2001)Tax paid Ex-charter
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7403558
On Yachtworld there are 60 /Belize 43’s for sale
One of them A$ 302000 (2001) Tax not paid Ex-Charter Thailand
Let me do the maths for you. That is a difference of $147000. Duty/GST on the second boat would be about $47000. All things being equal that is a difference of $100000. I know what you are thinking. Things aren’t equal, maybe the cheaper one is a lemon, maybe the boat in Oz is stacked and in brilliant condition. But have a good look.
I might be wrong but guess what ? It’s the same boat! The boat is advertised twice. One price for the international market, another price for the Australian market.
http://au.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?Ntt=Belize+43&slim=quick&Ntk=boa tsUK&searchtype=searchbar&sm=3&currencyid=1008&luo m=127&No=10

There are plenty of other examples (not as stark as this one) if you care to compare similar boats in Australia and overseas. The problem is that there are not that many listings in Australia, so it is not easy to make direct comparisons.

Regards Jim
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 00:41   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Hi Jim

I know a guy in Brisbane who has just spent a couple of months doing what you intend, travelling to the states and buying a boat to sail back. He is an experienced cat sailor and knew what he was looking for. I understand he didnt find anything worth owning and is coming back home, give me a PM and I will try to put you in touch with him if you like.

BTW is your farrier "windward", I was up the Moloolaba Yacht Club for the new years weekend and noticed it just opposite, looked in good condition.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 00:49   #80

Factor Hi
Thanks, give me some time to work it out and I will send you a PM. My boat is "Aussie" on the piles in the Mooloolah River. Great boat.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:21   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Yep, saw it as well on one of our walks out along the breakwater
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:37   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Hi Factor, maybe your friend in Brisbane would be interested in an Orana 44, he can see the boat details on www.boatpoint.com .au and search for the FP Orana.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 14:25   #83

Where to buy ?

Bringing a boat back from overseas would require a lot of research and planning. With that in mind I could pretty much buy it anywhere in the world and sail it back to Oz because I will have the time. Of course, my first choice wouldn’t be Iceland, although there could be some cheap boats or snowmobiles there. At first I thought the US and Caribbean. They speak an English, of sorts, in that part of the world. It is a huge market, the economy has taken a hit, the Aus $ is strong there, it’s mostly a “downhill” run back and if you don’t watch too much television the rule of law seems to prevail.
Then I saw this boat in Norway ! It sent chills down my spine. What a hoot ! Flying to Norway, buying a boat already kitted out for the cold, sailing up to the arctic circle, see the northern lights and then get the hell out of there. You don’t want to fall overboard but, man, I love sailing in cold weather. Need a good radar for the fog.
So there it is, the US is the first option but if I’m feeling adventurous, Europe. Don’t know what the sailings like around Africa, might steer clear of Somalia.
Does anyone know anything about Vat/ registration/visa/customs requirements in those countries with respect to my proposal ? I think one problem is finding enough time (visa/customs regulations) after I buy the boat and change the registration to prepare boat and crew.
Your thoughts ?
Jim
Old 04-01-2010, 17:42   #84

Why are you guys bothering with the AMSA national registration if you're cruising in Australian waters? (just curious, since it's expensive and not required).

I'm a Canadian citizen, so will likely pursue the much cheaper Canadian registration (if any). This stuff is so complicated and expensive here. I'd really love to tell the Aussie government what they can do with all their forms and fees!
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 19:51   #85

Hi TrevC
It is all explained in the link below. If you buy a domestic boat with Australian registration, you are guaranteed title. If someone else wants to argue that they own the boat, you refer them to the Amsa registry and then you calmly walk away. Think about it. How do you know the boat you bought actually belongs to the person who is selling it to you ? If I buy a boat overseas to sail back to Australia I have to prove I am the owner at every port of entry, including Australia. If Canada would let me register my boat under the maple leaf that would be great. But i think that is reserved for Canadian citizens. That is true of most countries ,except Freedonia
http://www.amsa.gov.au/Shipping_Registration/Guides/Who_owns_-_Yachts_Cruisers_Fishing_Boats.asp

You can certainly get Canadian Registration. Although,you will still have to get the boat registered in the state your boat resides. A yearly registration fee. In Queensland it costs me $268 a year. Note that state registration does not guareentee title. Makes the Australian Registration seem cheap, eh. You are right we are overregulated and over-bureaucratic. I think it stems back to our convict heritage where people were forced to wear pjs with little arrows on them and drag around huge ankle bracelets.
Old 04-01-2010, 20:16   #86

It sounds like the Canadian ships registry would be sufficient evidence to prove title here (I hope). The Canadian rego is also only $50, plus $50 renewal every five years. And yes, we'll still need the Queensland rego, but that's more reasonable (although, I recall it still being around $400). More reading to do before making any final decisions.

I love this country, the people (especially the women), but hate the paperwork! You want to see insanity? try dealing with immigration. I've always thought that the government processes and procedures here really seem to conflict with the Aussie way of life. Perhaps it's time for something like another Rum Rebellion? out with the bureaucrats! Keel haul 'em till there's nothing left!
Old 05-01-2010, 04:27   #87

TrevC

Stay away from our women. (Just joking) ....No seriously, stay away from our women. Hey, that bloke under the bed looks just like my great, great, great etc grandfather. No...wait..that's not him. That's him in the picture below. He's the cheerful one on the left.

Hey, the bloke who's charging you $400 a year boat registration should be locked up like my great, great, great, etc grandfather.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:59   #88

Too late! I evaluated a pretty big selection over the years, then stuck with the best one I could find!

I'm referring to the boat of course. (Although, they both bring different sets of strengths and compromises based on the model chosen).
Old 05-01-2010, 05:20   #89

That picture above is a metaphor. But does it symbolise a man's relationship with the government, his boat or....his wife ?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:17   #90

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
Hi Jpemb7,

I'm an Aussie living in Norway and own a FP Belize 43. These days the global warming is much missed with winds up towards 15m/s and -15 deg C! You would't like that I can tell you!

However in summer we can be lucky enough to experience some good months with reasonably warm weather.

The sailing in cold weather is interesting though since the air density is so much higher with greatly improved speeds.

The Norwegian byroucracy is not the best to say the least, but when what boating is concerned it's probably one of the best in the western world! Few regulations and not high fees for registration in the internationally recognised registration agency NOR.

So your idea of purchase in Norway and sailing to Aussie is not all that bad! I might consider it myself at some stage.

Happy lead free sailin
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia