Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-09-2011, 05:00   #856

Boat: Careel 22
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
OMG what a nanny state, so sad.
Bill, if you want to do the Canaries before sailing to Aus, wouldn't it be better to look at boats in Europe than the Americas?
That would be the go Hoppy, I have not as yet checked for a boat in Europe. Perhaps I should expand my search. I can find only one boat, size and model, that I would like as first choice and that boat, a 42' Searunner Trimaran, is in Florida, there is a second boat in the States, different model, a 40' glass Mono, and a third boat in Central America, different model again, a 46' Ferro Samson but I still hope to find and I'm looking here in Australia for a boat that I would be at home aboard. Hopefully my daughter and grand-daughter will come visit me here...Heck! I'll even pay their air-fares
It seems to me, kids these days only have time to do their own thing, I think they believe an old geezer, like me, would not have a clue when it comes to having a good time, so, if the mountain will not come to Mohamed, then Mohamed must go to the mountain. We'll see how things work out when the time comes
Old 22-09-2011, 05:53   #857
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
Thanks for the heads-up on the new QLD electrical regulations...
Not new - current act is 2002, previous act had broadly similar provisions and BTW Hoppy - A quick check of the Victorian legislation shows broadly similar effect.

Quote:
Does that mean "all" vessels entering QLD ports these days are checked to make sure they conform with QLD electrical regulations
Nope, the act talks about electrical work, dont do any work and it doesn't matter, if its 110 and use a transformer or just plug in 110, then no drama, the state authorities have no role to play in import by and large.

Quote:
And do vessels have to call a QLD licensed lecky when they need a job doing on any electrical gear on-board or do the rules only apply to ships and vessels registered in QLD or/and other Australian States
The act relates to work done in Qld, not where the boat is registered, could be a panamanian ship and if the work is done here if falls within the Act.

Quote:
Snip....So, from what you're saying, I guess my old marine engineers ticket is of no use to me in QLD,
No idea. You would have to check with the Qld authorities.

Not trying to stir anyone's pot here, just want the facts about the law clearly available to people. AS I indicated to Ausaviator, the likelihood is that no one will know, the problem is if you have a loss caused, eg, by fire and the insurance company can link it to the wiring, you could have a problem. More dramatically if there was a fatality that could be linked to the wiring the coroner may find sufficient cause to commit the person who did the work for trial.

And anyway - at the end of the day, its not that big a deal, you dont have to change the system to 240, but if you you need to factor in the cost of having it done when you are making your purchase decision.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 10:40   #858

Factor, my nanny state comment was directed at Aus not specifically Qld. I realize that the states are like children, if another has taxes or regulation they don't have, then they want it as well. Of course to justify their own existence they make it slightly different in the fear that the federal gov will try to centralize it.
Old 22-09-2011, 10:44   #859

Why not change the shore power outside of aus so that it is ready for 240 when you arrive?
Old 22-09-2011, 11:17   #860

Quote:
Factor, my nanny state comment was directed at Aus not specifically Qld. I realize that the states are like children, if another has taxes or regulation they don't have, then they want it as well. Of course to justify their own existence they make it slightly different in the fear that the federal gov will try to centralize it.
You got that right mate
Old 22-09-2011, 11:19   #861

Quote:
Why not change the shore power outside of aus so that it is ready for 240 when you arrive?
Now yer thinking like me Hoppy Then run everything from solar and wind and forget about shore power
Old 22-09-2011, 14:04   #862
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Sparkies in Oz...

I have found that sparkies (electricians) in Australia are the most reasonably priced tradespersons around. They do good fast work.

If the wiring itself is sized for 110V then it may already be of an acceptable size. Only the plugs/sockets may need to be changed, and these are not expensive, even the marine ones.

If anyone has any actual experience of mains 230V AC on their boat I'd be very interested to hear what they have to say.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 14:19   #863

Boat: Seawind 1000 - now sold
Re: Sparkies in Oz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
If the wiring itself is sized for 110V then it may already be of an acceptable size. Only the plugs/sockets may need to be changed, and these are not expensive, even the marine ones.
As you say the wire size (gauge) must be up to size and it should be as 110v is carring twice the current, however the colour and type of insulation MUST also be correct - this is where some NA installations fall. Switches / breakers must be duel pole (switch both active and neutral)
harlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 15:53   #864

We are looking at importing a yacht from Martinique (Caribbean) to Aus, so alot of great information in this thread - I read all the way through!

I noticed one of the yachts advertised for sale in Martinique is "VAT not paid". What are the implications if I want to buy and import this yacht? Do I need to pay this tax on top of the AUS import tax and GST?

This seems like it could be a real trap.

I cant find any specific information about this, so if anyone can offer advice it would be greatly appreciated.
CVJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 17:22   #865

Boat: Able 50

No extra payment. Expect 15%.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 17:34   #866

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

VAT would only need to be paid if you were imp[orting the boat into Euro based countries
Totally irrelevant bringing it to Aus.

And welcome to the forum!!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 18:44   #867

For anyone buying a boat Stateside, or anywhere off-shore, get in quick, our Aussie dollar is now just below par with the US$, 0.99c and the experts reckon it will drop as low as 0.85 - 0.75c to the greenback...With that news, I'll definitly buy my boat here in Australia and save a bundle...Well...Enough to fly to the Canary Islands and have a holiday of a month or two
Old 22-09-2011, 18:49   #868
Marine Service Provider

I'm being told that in the US the depreciation laws are about to change. At present a PRIVATE citizen (as in not a business operator) can depreciate their assets such as a yacht or aircraft. Supposedly 3 months and things will start to drop over there dramatically. Obama is cracking down on the "rich."

Don't believe 75 cents just yet - if the US enters recession, it may go well above the 1.10 that we saw.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 18:56   #869

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I'm being told that in the US the depreciation laws are about to change. At present a PRIVATE citizen (as in not a business operator) can depreciate their assets such as a yacht or aircraft. Supposedly 3 months and things will start to drop over there dramatically. Obama is cracking down on the "rich."

Don't believe 75 cents just yet - if the US enters recession, it may go well above the 1.10 that we saw.
Pity our government don't take a leaf out of Obama's book on that note
As for the 75 cents, lets wait and see but...Don't wait to long, as he who hesitates misses the boat
Old 22-09-2011, 18:59   #870

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
For anyone buying a boat Stateside, or anywhere off-shore, get in quick, our Aussie dollar is now just below par with the US$, 0.99c and the experts reckon it will drop as low as 0.85 - 0.75c to the greenback...With that news, I'll definitly buy my boat here in Australia and save a bundle...Well...Enough to fly to the Canary Islands and have a holiday of a month or two
I've got no intention to gloat but just 3 short weeks ago I transfered $180,000 via Ozforex @ $1.06 to purchase my C42 + enough to buy goodies( equip) + my cruising kitty for the trip home......phew, only just in time, eh!

If I did it right now I'd be $16,000 poorer!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia