Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 03:46   #751

Boat: Grainger cat
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Thanks for your thoughts regarding GST/boat as residence. Somehow knew it wouldn't be easy but worth an ask.

Virtual Vag, do I take it from your post that I'd be potentially exposing myself to a tax audit if I were to ask for the ruling? Like most of us I pay my tax, have a bit of a whinge, and eventually get round to doing tax returns and get a bit back. I'd be surprised if an audit turned up anything, but I'd sure have a few words to say about the chore involved in finding all those bits of paper stuffed into envelopes, put into boxes, and stored in a mate's garage.
ocean_groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:45   #752

Boat: Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
No duty on an American built boat due to trade agreement, just GST on cost of boat plus delivery charges
That is a misconception, one that I was under also. Australian Customs will refer you to Customs Tariff Schedule 3 Chapter 89/4 Item 8903.91.10,

8903.91 --Sailboats, with or without auxiliary motor:
8903.91.10 Not exceeding 150 gross construction tons 5%
hogesinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:14   #753

Boat: Able 50

That post makes no sense. Gotta be some crossed wires somewhere.

The US products which attract Australian duty are mostly alcohol and tobacco products. Anyway the code number 8903.91.10 is not in the schedule of dutiable US items. See Customs Tariff Schedule 5.

Someone has fed you a bum steer.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:21   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogesinwa View Post
That is a misconception, one that I was under also. Australian Customs will refer you to Customs Tariff Schedule 3 Chapter 89/4 Item 8903.91.10,

8903.91 --Sailboats, with or without auxiliary motor:

8903.91.10 Not exceeding 150 gross construction tons 5%
8903.91 has a heading, the Sailboat thing. There is a colon after "motor" leading to the next line which has .10 after it. That is where the rate is shown. In the actual schedule, it is much clearer but I couldn't copy the .pd3 formatting into the post so it ended up being hard to understand.

In short, the US/Aust Free Trade thingo does not apply to a great number of things. 8903.91 is one of those things. The rate of duty is 5%.
As I said, it is a misconception that I was under until Customs set me straight on it.

Duty applies to the cost, then GST to that total.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:36   #755

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Well, this is my understanding:

Costs of Importing a Yacht to Australia, The Australian Import Process by admin
All yachts and boats imported to Australia are subject to Duty of 5% of purchase cost (including delivery) and of course, 10% GST (including delivery and Duty).
There are a few exceptions:
If a vessel was built (or mostly built) in a country that currently holds a FTA (Free Trade Agreement) with Australia, no duty will be charged. Unless your boat was built by a reputable building company with a history and you can substantiate this with a paper trail, this can sometimes be difficult to prove. Custom and owner built boats can be very difficult to prove Country of Manufacture without substantial documentation and evidence.
Currently, Australia has FTAs with:
The United States
New Zealand
Thailand
Singapore
Chile
Countries within ASEAN (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, VietNam)
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:52   #756

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

This is a document from Customs,Tells you precisely what you are up for,
Sorry its not a bit clearer,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Importing a Yacht into australia, customs.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	31243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Importing a Yacht into australia, customs 001.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	31244  

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:56   #757

I'd be happy to be wrong and save the $9,000 also. However, Customs told me that the FTA covers some things and not others. Yachts are others. Again, I'd be happy to be wrong and look forward to your advices when you get back next year. Hoges
Old 06-09-2011, 05:58   #758

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogesinwa View Post
8903.91 has a heading, the Sailboat thing. There is a colon after "motor" leading to the next line which has .10 after it. That is where the rate is shown. In the actual schedule, it is much clearer but I couldn't copy the .pd3 formatting into the post so it ended up being hard to understand.

In short, the US/Aust Free Trade thingo does not apply to a great number of things. 8903.91 is one of those things. The rate of duty is 5%.
As I said, it is a misconception that I was under until Customs set me straight on it.

Duty applies to the cost, then GST to that total.

Schedule 3 applies only to non FTA countries. If a US ( or other FTA ) export to Australia is meant to attract duty then it will be in schedule 5. 8903.91.10 is not in schedule 5 so there is no duty provided you can prove US manufacture. That would be the same for NZ, Thailand, Chile.

See for yourself
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5663.asp
Old 06-09-2011, 17:50   #759

I hope you're reading is correct as I'm happy to not pay another 8 or 9. I'll be using an agent in any event so I won't have to remember myself. I see your logic as I couldn't see it in 5 myself. Of course, the Customs person who sent me the email couldn't actually bring himself to say "no duty payable", just 'See Chapter 89" and "Schedule 5" without actually telling me what you have just said. In fact, the tone of the email was just the opposite, implying that duty was certainly payable. I'll be interested to see how Allan gets on next year.
Old 13-09-2011, 02:24   #760

Boat: Careel 22

I wonder...Is Canada a member of the FTA group? Two boats I'm looking at buying (I want to buy one of them, not both) were built and fitted-out in Canada.
Old 13-09-2011, 03:00   #761

Boat: Custom

No Canada isn't as far as I know.

Is one a Perry design steel in QLD with a blue hull?

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 03:15   #762

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
No Canada isn't as far as I know.

Is one a Perry design steel in QLD with a blue hull?
G'day James,

No mate, only one of the yachts I'm looking at, is in Queensland and that one's a Hartley South Seas...A Ferro Cement yacht. If all the boats I'm looking at had been Australia Registered, I would not be interested in looking off-shore.
I have since found a few other yachts that interest me, three more FC yachts and one Jim Brown Searunner...Yep, I know...From a West system/ply Tri to FC mono yachts I do like Tri's but not having deep pockets, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck and, the best bang for my buck looks to be buying a yacht off-shore and sailing it back to Australia.
After doing a lot of reserch on FC boats, I'm thinking a Pro built FC yacht may be a better choice for me and my needs

Cheers James.

Bill
Australia
Old 13-09-2011, 04:12   #763

The countries are USA NZ Thailand Chile Singapore.
Old 13-09-2011, 14:52   #764
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
It's technically illegal to live permanently on your boat in most Australian States anyway... so I doubt this would work. I wish it would though as it could help me out too!
I'd be intereested ina reference to the various pieces of legislation, there is certainly no such prohibition in Qld.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 16:49   #765

Boat: Seawind 1000 - now sold

Yeah - QLD is fine to live-aboard. But you still won't be able to claim it as your "residence". I know for a fact that the ATO systems will only accept an address that is current on the AUS Post Database (like many organisations), and it is updated every 90 days on the ATO side. Even if by chance it does accept something with a unit/block/site/birth number (units & offices will, but not any marinas I tried), you still don't own the realestate, just what's parked on/in it and maybe lease from port auth - same as a caravan in a caravan park. So short of having a Private ruling from the ATO in your favour, good luck with it come audit time...

I’m getting a good laugh with guys coming up with these schemes to save (as a % of the boat) not really much….
harlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia