Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 02:32   #61

Boat: Ranger 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
State registration has nothing to do with offshore travel, you need to speak to Australian Maritime Safety Authority in Canberra, even once you arrive back in Australia with an Australian registered vessel you will still have to register it in the state you keep it
Thanks Nauticatarcher.....I should have rung AMSA first. I told her exactly what I was doing and all the other issues I was concerned about.

Oh well bloody public servants..lol
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:46   #62

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
There is a very clear set of guidelines in registering a boat when you buy it overseas. Its going to take at least a month after you have actually bought your boat to get your paperwork through because after your application has gone in you need to send by snail mail photos of the name and registration painted on the back of your boat. then they send a letter back by snail mail confirming it all. Of course you can not do the painting till you have already totally completed the foreign transaction and been given the keys to your new boat - and will cost you another haul out to paint on the words! Dinghy art not accepted!
This is what Photoshop was written for
Not hard to do from a dingy, just get a vinyl guy to cut a spray mask.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:50   #63

Boat: Norseman 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

There is a very clear set of guidelines in registering a boat when you buy it overseas. Its going to take at least a month after you have actually bought your boat to get your paperwork through because after your application has gone in you need to send by snail mail photos of the name and registration painted on the back of your boat. then they send a letter back by snail mail confirming it all. Of course you can not do the painting till you have already totally completed the foreign transaction and been given the keys to your new boat - and will cost you another haul out to paint on the words! Dinghy art not accepted!

Mark
Sorry not quite correct, you have to provide what is called a marking note which shows the boat has been marked with registration number in a way that is not easily changed , usually carved onto a substantial deck beam, but can also be an engraved plate as long as it is not easilyb removed, eg screw heads have to be filled, also all previous registration Marks have to be removed or covered, as to name on Transom that is personal choice and easiest way is stick on computer cut , Mark is right about all this going back to admiralty law though and as such is based on some of the oldest legislation out there
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 13:18   #64
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
Sorry not quite correct,
Oh well thats what the guy at AMSA told me on the phone. Wojo is ringing him today so he can report back.
Thats the other point... make a mistake with this stuff and it takes a few days to find out and fix

Other plesant bit to remember is the extra cash for fun government expenses!
Pleasure craft; fishing vessel; government ship; commercial ship less than 24 metres in tonnage length.
$799
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 13:40   #65

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
Here is the email response i gopt from amsa thismorning.

Thank you for your email. You are aboe to sail the vessel to Australia under foreign registration but this is not an ideal situation and there may be implications (Australian Customs etc) and you would have to prove ownership of the vessel to the appropriate authorities. If you are able to register the vessel on the Australian Register prior to sailing, this would be the preferred option.

In answer to your question, if the vessel is Australian owned then, yes, you will have to register it on the Australian Shipping Register. The required forms can all be found on our website www.amsa.gov.au -click on Shipping Registration tab, then Forms. You will find the four forms required under 'Application for Registration' (if you are unable to provide the Builders certificate, you can use the Statutory Declaration form found under the heading 'Other Forms'). Information on how to complete the forms can be found by clicking on to 'guides' on the left hand side of the page.

Please send in the following:
  • Notice of Appointment of Registered Agent form
  • Application for Registration of an Australian Ship form
  • Builders Certificate, or a Statutory Declaration if the original is not available
  • Declaration of Ownership and Nationality
AND Original Bill of Sale, or a certified true copy

Upon receipt of all the documentation listed above, your vessel can then be registered on the Australian Shipping Register. You will then be required to Mark your ship in due course (we will send you instructions on this) and once this is done your Registration Certificate will be issued. Fees are required to be paid when the documentation is sent in to this office: Permanent Registration AUD $$799.00. You may pay these fees by Creditcard, Money Order, or Cheque (made out to AMSA).

If you have any questions or require any further information please let me know.

Kind regards

Fiona Martin
Deputy Registrar of Ships
Shipping Registration Office
Australian Maritime Safety Authority
GPO Box 2181
Canberra City
ACT 2601

P: 02 6279 5925
F: 02 6279 5922
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 14:02   #66

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
So there is 800 bucks off the top.

Did you Aussies get your govt crap from us Americans?

Sheesh!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 14:45   #67
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Did you Aussies get your govt crap from us Americans?

Sheesh!!
We have a Free Trade Agreement with you Americans but we still pay taxes to get stuff from you

The FTA is probably a conspiracy of government employees in both countries to make more paperwork therefore ensuring their own jobs
Old 07-01-2008, 22:02   #68

Boat: Ranger 33
yep , I rung AMSA and got the same response that Vicking 69 got...they would prefer the boat registered. which of course is exactly what I am going to do. She promised me that, as of today, they can complete the whole process in under a week (she said 2 or 3 days.) That is of course if all the paperwork is correct and all the signatures are in place.
Marking the boat as per Shipping Registration Regulations 20.(they can paint her while she is still in the water.)

ahhhh its all good...
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 22:12   #69
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
ahhhh its all good...
chalk one up for the good guys
Old 15-07-2008, 08:56   #70

Toi find the boat was not a problem, the broker in the US are good and mostly honest. The cost is per cubic feet/meter. The transporter was great, except the forgot the boat in the US originally, in any case they refund me 3k for their mistake. The gentleman Richard was fantastic.

Where is goes wrong is with the importer...Import-a-boat from the USA to Australia, dishonest, mean and nasty, no help at all, overmeasured the boat, charged me an extra 1600aud, then when i was complaining wanted to shoot me in the head, do not deal with those people with a 10 foot pole.

Rgds
magico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 06:08   #71

Boat: kennex 445 cat- ishka
Hey there all. This is my first post but seeing as I am sitting in a marina in Miami waiting for AMSA to finalize my Oz rego so I can sail this (bargain) back home I thought it it was the right time to say G'day. After I have finished this adventure(2 years min) I will let you know if it was profitable.
ishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 03:26   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WELCOME aboard, ishka.
Are you the Crafts Shop, or just super-cool ?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 16:18   #73

Boat: kennex 445 cat- ishka
Sorry but I'm not crafty enough or cool enough to know what you mean.
ishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 15:46   #74

I am looking to impor a Sea Ray 44ft from the States which I can buy for $us105k I realise that I have to pay GST on the purchase and transport cost but what do you mean by improvements as the purchase price includes everything on the boat.
hbey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 16:18   #75
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbey54 View Post
what do you mean by improvements as the purchase price includes everything on the boat.
If you buy the boat for $105k you pay GST on that. If you then buy a jetski for that boat for $45k you pay GST for that too. And perhaposduty of 5%

So in other words the total you paid.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy

Tags
Australia