Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 18:54   #421

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

Thanks for that, Hotboy... very helpful. We don't contemplate a move for about another year but your info really helps with the planning.
My feeling is the Aussie $ will more than hold its own for that long but I don't feel the same about US $ or Euros. Natural resource markets in close proximity to Australia should continue to grow (ie China and India) while more US companies will head offshore for a more favorable business climate.
That, combined with the seeming inability to control debt in either the US or the Common Market bodes well for other developed countries like OZ, Canada and Brazil. I kinda share jpemb7's feeling about directionally where things are going... keep your powder dry down there... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 19:12   #422

Boat: deboated

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Hotboy,
Thats a great, concise summary.
One question, is the termite dog used as standard procedure on every boat, or just if the initial quarantine inspection leaves questions in the inspector's mind?
If the initial quarantine inspection leaves questions in the inspector's mind?
This subject has been done to death but this is the main point that needs to be made, if the boat is full of wood you may be in trouble and will need the dog inspection. Most modern plastic boats hate the term but most understand the type of boat I mean will not have a problem. Which means the vast majority but if you see a very cheap old classic boat full of wood think again. Australian quarantine may be doing you a favour as those boats always end up sending you broke before you make the crossing.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 19:22   #423

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Loosing Australian industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
There will also be much less manufacturing industries left in Australia, and not just in the boat building industry. A high Aus dollar does little for the economy at home. And some industries, once lost, will never be regained.

Still, we are going on holidays for a few months overseas later this year so from a selfish viewpoint its okay.
You are quite correct Factor, unfortunately the Australian government doesn't see a benefit in supporting local industry unless it is a multinational mining company.
I think they take the view that all the boat builders and tourism operators can just go and work in the mines.
I would have loved to have bought an Australian designed and built but when you compare the costs it doesn’t add up.
I could have bought an old 33 foot Australian cat for the same money as what I paid for a newer 39 foot French cat.
We personally like the French design much more than the Aussie design but that’s our personal choice.
Also during Kevin’s great stimulus package, I was told I would have to wait a year for a new Seawind 1000 because they had so many orders.
I guess the waiting list is a bit shorter now?
That said the French must be doing it tuff also, they are facing the same challenge with a falling USD against the EUR. The difference is that their government will back them up with some fancy tax scheme.

Enjoy your trip O/S Factor, we've all been waiting a long time for exchange rates to be this good.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 15:57   #424

Boat: Westsail 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Hotboy,
Thats a great, concise summary.
One question, is the termite dog used as standard procedure on every boat, or just if the initial quarantine inspection leaves questions in the inspector's mind?
The AQIS lady advised that the dog is not a definite. The initial inspection is visual where they look for signs of activity like sawdust. AQIS also use an electronic device that detects insect activity. The decision to use the dog is subsequent to this if they deem necessary, so it really depends on the officer I suppose. I guess if your house keeping is in order and their job is fairly straight forward then they would appraise the situation fairly easily and quickly.
I hate paying out unnecessarily but I also understand that the fire ant infestation that arrived via a ship, is still costing taxpayers a lot of money and isn't eradicated yet. So we pay for other peoples mistakes.
Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 20:48   #425
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotboy View Post
....I hate paying out unnecessarily but I also understand that the fire ant infestation that arrived via a ship, is still costing taxpayers a lot of money and isn't eradicated yet. So we pay for other peoples mistakes.
By ship perhaps, by yacht - almost certainly not.

see below from Qld Govt DPI website:

Quote:
Where are they from and how did they get here?
Fire ants are from South America and are native to the floodplains of the Paraguay River in Brazil, Paraguay and Northern Argentina. They entered the southern United States in the 1930s, probably in soil used as ship ballast, and have been spreading across the US ever since.
Fire ants would have been unknowingly imported into Brisbane, possibly up 20 years ago. The pathway of entry into Brisbane is unknown, but was possibly in a shipping container from the US or South America. There have evidently been three different incursions of fire ants into Australia: two into Brisbane and one to central Queensland, near Gladstone.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 00:27   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
By ship perhaps, by yacht - almost certainly not.

see below from Qld Govt DPI website:
Great to see quarantine issues discussed. It is relevant to this thread. Yachties can't be blamed for fire ants, but there are several species of termite (not an ant, dispite being commonly referred to as "white-ants") which can live in boat timbers and be potentially imported into Australia. These are potentially much worse than our home grown species as they are not sub-terranean, meaning that they don't have to nest underground and so could eat out your house unaffected by existing termite barriers.

Yachties probably are responsible for the recent introduction of the very serious pest "Asian Honey Bee", which was discovered in the mast of a yacht in Cairns. So please cooperate with AQIS, they are the good guys (not sure about Customs).
www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/asian-bee.../story-fn6ck8la-1226008590767

Yours entomologically, Tuskie
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:10   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Great to see quarantine issues discussed. It is relevant to this thread. Yachties can't be blamed for fire ants, but there are several species of termite (not an ant, dispite being commonly referred to as "white-ants") which can live in boat timbers and be potentially imported into Australia. These are potentially much worse than our home grown species as they are not sub-terranean, meaning that they don't have to nest underground and so could eat out your house unaffected by existing termite barriers.

Yachties probably are responsible for the recent introduction of the very serious pest "Asian Honey Bee", which was discovered in the mast of a yacht in Cairns. So please cooperate with AQIS, they are the good guys (not sure about Customs).
www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/asian-bee.../story-fn6ck8la-1226008590767

Yours entomologically, Tuskie
Gee Tuskie where were you when I copped loads of flak for defending the rules. All the boats bypassing Australia due to the rules which in truth they had been doing for many many years for other reasons which are not clear but certainly the situation had not changed in recent years. You would expect that mast to be wooden so as I said earlier most boats do not have to worry especially multihulls. Easy to scare the horses with little truth and loads of bull dust.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
You would expect that mast to be wooden so as I said earlier most boats do not have to worry especially multihulls. Easy to scare the horses with little truth and loads of bull dust.
Bee hive in Cairns yacht was inside the base of an alloy mast. You are correct, termite sniffer dog should not have been required unless boat had a substantial amount of timber in construction or fitout. Not many multihulls that I have seen would qualify.

No problems with rules or tactics to keep pests of all types out of our country. However, I don't go along with unnecessary harassment, bullying or jumped up bureaucrats that make up their own rules to suit their own agendas.

If you consider that I have written "little truth and loads of bull dust", please explain.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26   #429

If you consider that I have written "little truth and loads of bull dust", please explain.
Sorry I was not referring to you but others that have belittled the termite inspections and me for suggesting that they are done for a good reason. Also that cruisers were bypassing on mass Australia due to the inspections.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:34   #430

Boat: Westsail 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Bee hive in Cairns yacht was inside the base of an alloy mast. You are correct, termite sniffer dog should not have been required unless boat had a substantial amount of timber in construction or fitout. Not many multihulls that I have seen would qualify.

No problems with rules or tactics to keep pests of all types out of our country. However, I don't go along with unnecessary harassment, bullying or jumped up bureaucrats that make up their own rules to suit their own agendas.

I have an friend who joined the Australian Customs and seemed very stressed when he discussed work, complaining about dealing with people coming into Oz. I made the point to him, that as a customs officer he has adequate authority to deal with all contingencies. That said, he can choose to be courteous and friendly even when he needs to exercise that authority.
Is there some sort of culture within the organisation that encourages impatience and discourtesy? Just wondering
Hotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 17:19   #431
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia
Importing a 2006 LAGOON 440 to Australia in 2013

Anyone interested in a 2006 Lagoon 440 delivered to Brisbane / Sydney / Melbourne around April-May 2013 ? Please see the separate thread I've just opened:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...3-a-59345.html
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 23:51   #432

How's the importation going, Dragon Lady?

We eagerly await your news and tips.

Meanwhile, we see more and more cruising cats being advertised on the Australian websites by companies from Europe, SE Asia and the Caribbean. I note your comment that these are usually the most expensive of those on offer.

Still, it is difficult to understand or reconcile how, say, a FP Lavezzi, 5 years old, owner version can be advertised for high A$400Ks in Australia and for nearly HALF that in the Caribbean. Similiar margins of difference exist for most production cruising cats.

I can't see much evidence of these overpriced Australian owned boats actually selling, but the prices aren't meeting the market either. Meanwhile the overseas boats get reletively cheaper as our dollar rises. Perhaps our local sellers aren't "motivated vendors" and believe that their boats will increase in value over time if they wait it out (yeah, right).

Importation, with all it's problems, pitfalls and hidden expenses seems the most sane option for Australian cat buyers in the current insane Australian market.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:46   #433

Hi Tuskie,

All going smoothly, although a bit slow.
The delivery crew are doing it tough with SW winds off the coast of Equador.
I calculated their VMG since leaving Panama last week and they have averaged 2.9kts.
I'm thinking about sending a message "use the engines" LOL.
Still I'm in no hurry, I hope to join them in New Caledonia late June but I think in reality it will be mid July.
Now I'm an owner I should take a different view of cat values in Oz, but I think the harsh reality of the exchange rate is setting in.
I think a Lavezzi recently sold here for low to mid 400's but it's hard to know.
The guy who offered me his 2001 Athena for high 300's is still waiting for the market to turn.
Still I think the demand for cats will always be high and so prices will do similar.
Good luck with all your searches I'm sure it's worth the effort.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:55   #434
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

I will probably be doing this next Feb.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 20:23   #435

Great, sing out if you need any advice.
Have you chosen a boat yet?