Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Which type of catamarans would you choose, price not an object
Admiral 5 1.81%
BroadBlue 18 6.52%
Catana 62 22.46%
Dean 4 1.45%
Privilege 29 10.51%
Lagoon 55 19.93%
St Francis 25 9.06%
African Cats 24 8.70%
PDQ 26 9.42%
Voyage 9 3.26%
Manta 25 9.06%
Leapord 41 14.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2008, 07:33   #151

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrhawke View Post
I would imagine you have a two to three year wait! You have greater patience than I do. Of course by the time you get it will probably have increased in value 15%.
2 years or less. They have a new shed and molds.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 09:16   #152

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronflonflon View Post
I am the lucky one with hull number 2.
Will be done at the end of this year hopefully.....

Ron

Congratulations, you are one lucky sailor. How much will she weigh lightship?

If someone doesn't want to wait so long, they can contact Simon Bongers at Bongers marine outside Capetown. He apparently did a good job on the 6-7 Atlantics he built, but apparently fell out with Chris White, but he is still a damn good builder. The Rand has followed the dollar down, so for a uS based owner it has no effect. For a European, it makes the work 25% cheaper than a year ago.

Otherwise I know a couple of good yards down there who could do it in about 8-9 months.

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 10:13   #153

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post

If someone doesn't want to wait so long, they can contact Simon Bongers at Bongers marine outside Capetown. He apparently did a good job on the 6-7 Atlantics he built, but apparently fell out with Chris White, but he is still a damn good builder. The Rand has followed the dollar down, so for a uS based owner it has no effect. For a European, it makes the work 25% cheaper than a year ago.

Otherwise I know a couple of good yards down there who could do it in about 8-9 months.

Alan
I have seen Bongers work and you are right it is first class, but I believe the falling out was because of Bonger Marine financial problems, that were caused by production control from growing too fast, laying off workers, and not being able to perform because of it.

I think going to another yard that doesn't have female hull molds for Chris's Atlantic 47 or 57 could be more costly in the long run.
ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 10:28   #154
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
I second the work of Simon Bongers work , there is no better , I have sailed and been on many of his produced Atlantics and they where all great Cats.
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 10:32   #155

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I remember being on an Atlantic 42 in Georgetown, they called out for help regarding a computer problem and when I found out what kind of boat it was I volunteered. My wife gave me a bit of guilt for that, sort of like pulling over for a broken down car only when there's an attractive female stranded. It was a nice boat, the owner left for a few days and the wind clocked around and it was in a bit of unprotected fetch during a storm. I looked at her to see how she was riding the steep chop and the boat looked completely unaffected, just riding absolutely level, no pitching, no fishing around at anchor.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 10:45   #156
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You where rigth Doug and your wife should have come along , These cats are a different breed very well thought out and good sailing cats
Old 17-03-2008, 10:53   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
I remember being on an Atlantic 42 in Georgetown, they called out for help regarding a computer problem and when I found out what kind of boat it was I volunteered. My wife gave me a bit of guilt for that, sort of like pulling over for a broken down car only when there's an attractive female stranded. It was a nice boat, the owner left for a few days and the wind clocked around and it was in a bit of unprotected fetch during a storm. I looked at her to see how she was riding the steep chop and the boat looked completely unaffected, just riding absolutely level, no pitching, no fishing around at anchor.
It does look like fun, doesn't it. Atlantic 42' at 20 knots.

Old 17-03-2008, 10:57   #158

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
It does look like fun, doesn't it. Atlantic 42' at 20 knots.
Sure does, fantastic picture, and note that no one has fled out of the forward cockpit!! At that speed I would stay therte for the sensation alone, forget about a bit of water...

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 11:21   #159

Quote:

Alan

These are Chris White comments about the Atlantic 57' weight.
Quote:
Despite her 57 feet Lely's hull and deck structure all complete weighed close to 10,000 lbs. Fully equipped and rigged for sailing she weighs less than many production 40' cats! And she's far stronger. In build quality there is no comparison to be made to the likes of Catana, Privilege, Lagoon, etc… The Atlantic 57TMis an entirely different kind of animal designed and built to be the safest, most comfortable, best performing cruising catamaran in the world. If you don't believe me and are serious about buying a cat I will be happy to demonstrate the boat.
Old 17-03-2008, 14:37   #160

cost of Chris White Cat

What do the Chris White Cats cost for either a 42' or 57' roughly?
diesels12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 15:28   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesels12 View Post
What do the Chris White Cats cost for either a 42' or 57' roughly?
With the uncontrolled material costs, the builder selected, and beating the dollar is taking, I do not think you will get a firm price, but rather a contact to account for escalation.

My last discussion with Chris on the topic put the 42', 48', and 57' at a respective estimated cost of approx. 6,8,and 1.3 hundred thousand depending on the builder. That price is ready to sail. You select and purchase electronics which the builder installs. These prices could have changed since my last discussions with Chris.

When you look at the high quality of materials, especially the high strength epoxy construction through out; I think the pricing looks pretty good compared to production line boats that are built with blistering potential polyester, heavy, and slow. They are half that of a GunBoat. As you can tell I have been looking at it seriously.
Old 18-03-2008, 08:06   #162

Quote:
Sure does, fantastic picture, and note that no one has fled out of the forward cockpit!! At that speed I would stay therte for the sensation alone, forget about a bit of water...

Alan
No way not to get a little wet at this speed, but compared to an Outremer, with it's blunt entry that throws a wall of water up with every wave it hits; an Atlantic is a very dry ride. The fine entry and high bridge deck clearance of Atlantic's make for a very smooth, dry, non-pounding ride compared to most other cats. The Atlantic 48' has a 36" bridge deck clearance when full loaded. Notice how clean the underside of the bridge deck is without any bumps and protrusions to catch waves and pound, compared to even a Catana, which is a very nice cat.

Atlantic 48'

Catana 471
Old 18-03-2008, 08:36   #163
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I thought to at least include a picture of the other (very dry) cat and both the above cats ( Atlantic 42 and Catana 471) are very dry compared with most

Greetings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A_101 kleiner1.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	3003  
Old 18-03-2008, 08:44   #164

To get a idea of what wet means......

Any cat can be a wet ride at high speed, but as you can see the blunt entry of an Outremer doesn't make it any drier. I always wonder why they have not made the Outremer with sharper entry to reduce spray.
Old 18-03-2008, 09:01   #165
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
To get a idea of what wet means......

Any cat can be a wet ride at high speed, but as you can see the blunt entry of an Outremer doesn't make it any drier. I always wonder why they have not made the Outremer with sharper entry to reduce spray.
This is the main reason for us to lenghten the bow and make the entry finer. Who wants to be wet all the time?
Nice clip of the Outremer