Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2022, 19:15   #1

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
If some discontinued models could be produced again....

Do you often wish that some now discontinued models of cats from well known builders could be brought back into production?

Do you prefer the look & functionality of some of the older models when compared to the current often boxy & square shaped lines?

The models which had great visibility from the helm? My pet hate of some current ones are those with large flybridges often with a large area with lounges & large hardtop behind the helm which make it impossible to see your sterns when reversing into a marina pen or dock.

To get the ball rolling I will mention some of my favourite older cats which are no longer in production.

SEAWIND - The original 1000 & the improved 1000XL with the hull extensions & other modifications. These are great little cats & some of them have made extensive offshore passages. Katiecat was a very well known 1000 which had an USA engineer owner who created a very comprehensive blog about his boat. These boats have lots of room, a great cockpit & were a great first cat for so many people at a more affordable price point. They really punched well above their weight class.

FOUNTAINE PAJOT - The Lavezzi 40 (11.9m). I have done several deliveries on one of these & was impressed with it's overall performance in winds up to 50 knots & seas of 3+ meters. Things that I really liked were the very roomy cockpit with the walkthrough & the ability to walk from one side of the boat to the other without stepping up & onto the cockpit seats like some other designs like the Lagoon 380 for instance. It also had good bridgedeck clearance, a great overall internal layout & great engine room access from the rear deck, no lifting up of rear beds potentially disturbing sleeping crew & no engine odours in sleeping quarters. I have some videos of this cat on my YouTube channel under the same name as my CF name for anyone who may be interested.

Sadly this model suffered very badly from hull osmosis problems due to deficiencies in the hull layup manufacture.

BAHIA 46 - This model has a great reputation & is very popular in the second hand market today. It is an accomplished cruiser & great ocean passage maker with plenty of room & good bridgedeck clearance.

LIGHTWAVE - The 35 but moreso the larger 38. Sadly these models have been discontinued & the smallest LIGHTWAVE now in production is the 46 which is out of the price range of so many buyers especially those looking for their first cat. The 38 is a great boat, plenty of room, great cockpit, good bridgedeck clearance & a good cruising boat.

LEOPARD - some of the earlier models from this builder around the 40 foot mark, especially those which had shaft drive which is so much more desirable than high maintenance saildrives.

LAGOON - the old 47 was a great boat, it had plenty of room, a great size for cruising with good bridgedeck clearance

It's a real shame that a lot of these cats are no longer in production. They could have followed a path of constant improvement from the same initial base design along the same philosophy of the Lagoon 380 & the automaker Porsche.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 04:42   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: If some discontinued models could be produced again....

I'd add the Lagoon TPI 42. Plus the Maine Cats although the 38 is in production in kit form by another outfit.
Old 21-04-2022, 09:04   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The Seawind 1000 and MC 30 were unbelievable cats for their size.
How about the original Crowther designed Catana 40?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	256357
Or the older Danson designed Outremers?

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	256358
Or the open bridgedeck Shuttleworth designed Tek 35?

Name:	IMG_1475.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	256359
All great older performance designed cats, though lacking the living space of most modern cats.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 09:23   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I can’t think of any to add to the list except the $120,000 Gunboat of my imagination. Ha ha ha.

You have have some really good taste in boats. This is quite a list of good stuff.

Is anyone making good boats like these anymore? Do they realize there is actually a market for people who want a performance cruising Catamaran?

Seems like just a few places realize this.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 17:05   #5

Sand crab, I agree about the Lagoon TPI 42, a great model. This is the one I had in mind when I said the Lagoon 47. I have only seen one TPI 42 but really liked it.

SMJ - That Outremer looks like a good one.
Old 21-04-2022, 23:44   #6

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Sand crab, I agree about the Lagoon TPI 42, a great model. This is the one I had in mind when I said the Lagoon 47. I have only seen one TPI 42 but really liked it.

SMJ - That Outremer looks like a good one.

Iím biased, the Danson-designed Outremers are beautiful.

The older (early 1990s) larger lagoons are damned nice too https://youtu.be/YZeoLzA_6Jw.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 14:12   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

aaah, the Outremers, love them, just going to buy some lottery tickets now , wish me luck...
Bent Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 15:50   #8
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Kinda partial to the late 80ís Privilege 39. Good looking cat thatís a quality build, seaworthy and good bridgedeck clearance.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 21:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Kinda partial to the late 80ís Privilege 39. Good looking cat thatís a quality build, seaworthy and good bridgedeck clearance.
Yes, I like the Privelege 39 too.

I also like that centre bridgedeck queen berth on the 48 in front of the saloon table. A great spot to sleep on passages when off watch & in easy shouting distance of the helmperson. Is it only the 48 that has this or is it on smaller models too?

Tags
model