Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2008, 05:22   #16

Boat: Prout Escale 39ft -Aramanta
I would agree with SMJ, 36 to 40 ft max. Ours is 39 which I can just about single hand upto about a F5. If I don't reef early I have real problems furling the genoa.

My experience (I have had three Cats) is that they are super fast and light or cruisers which by definition does not mean light! Performance or comfort? We have gone for comfort.
Old 22-03-2008, 06:07   #17

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
I am much as anyone am intrigued by the fastcat, but honestly this promotion is blatantly over the top.

Unacceptable in my opinion, and not in line with the rules of this forum.
Old 22-03-2008, 06:26   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
I am much as anyone am intrigued by the fastcat, but honestly this promotion is blatantly over the top.

Unacceptable in my opinion, and not in line with the rules of this forum.
That might be the case but how can company,s like African Cats , Gunboat , Outremer and other Catamaran builders that build comfortable and performing catamarans let people know that comfort and performance actually can be had in one Yacht .Just look at Aramanta above here in the saem thread, he thinks that these 2 quality,s cannot be combined. Many still seem to think that it is not possible while it is very well possible.
Why can somebody owning a catamaran rave about it while somebody else that owns and builds a product should keep its mouth Shut.
I am from the Netherlands and here we have freedom of speech and writing and I am very happy about that.
If somebody is not telling the truth that is one thing but that is not the case.
Greetings
Old 22-03-2008, 06:35   #19

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Fastcat. You have personally started two threads on the default page for multihulls that are pure self promotion IMHO.

You hijack every other multihull thread with pictures and details on your models.

The reality is that if anyone is visiting the forums you have already made enough of your presence known that you do not need to be featured in every thread.

The fact that you are trying to defend this, vs just apologizing and sticking to your own threads makes it even more comical and obvious in my opinion.

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with proper forum manners.
Old 22-03-2008, 06:43   #20

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
"Why can somebody owning a catamaran rave about it while somebody else that owns and builds a product should keep its mouth Shut."

Because you have a personnal gain in selling and, as boat owners, we have done.
I couldn't agree more with shipofools, I don't even read your comments anymore and certainly don't go to any threads you start because I know all I'll get is a sales pitch. I wish the administrators would do something about this.
Old 22-03-2008, 06:45   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hallo Ship of fools , I do not mind getting of the forum if I am not allowed to speak or rather write freely, I am not doing this for commercial gain since my business is not based on commerce and we are sold out for a long time.

Greetings

Gideon
Old 22-03-2008, 06:56   #22

Boat: Prout Escale 39ft -Aramanta
Fastcat435, I admit to being unfamiliar with your Cat, however everything I have ever read about Cats plus my own experience and that of my Cruising friends including a sales outlet for Broadblue indicate that Cats are not good load carriers. A live aboard cruiser with all the parafinallia of comfortable living tends to increase weight. This I understand has negative effects on a Cats performance.

If you have a design that goes against this concept I wish you all the luck in the world with it. Please allow me to be skeptical.
Old 22-03-2008, 07:53   #23

Aramanta
Please don't get Fastcat435 going again.
Fastcat435, you must think we are dimwitted to believe that you have no monetary gain in your promoting your boats. Why don't you take an ad out like other vendors do and support this site, rather than always taking the free advertising route. That would be the honorable thing to do.
Old 22-03-2008, 08:04   #24

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott730 View Post
Aramanta
Please don't get Fastcat435 going again.
Fastcat435, you must think we are dimwitted to believe that you have no monetary gain in your promoting your boats. Why don't you take an ad out like other vendors do and support this site, rather than always taking the free advertising route. That would be the honorable thing to do.
At 1,275,000 Euro per boat that should be within the budget.
Old 22-03-2008, 08:48   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramanta View Post
Fastcat435, I admit to being unfamiliar with your Cat, however everything I have ever read about Cats plus my own experience and that of my Cruising friends including a sales outlet for Broadblue indicate that Cats are not good load carriers. A live aboard cruiser with all the parafinallia of comfortable living tends to increase weight. This I understand has negative effects on a Cats performance.

If you have a design that goes against this concept I wish you all the luck in the world with it. Please allow me to be skeptical.
I do not mind you being skeptical , it is all about weight and if I look at your cat having a weight of 14 kilo,s per squire meter fore your hull and deck and for a modern epoxy infused or with resin prepeg this weight can drop to 5 kilo,s
Just imagine that your own Escale weighted 3000 kilo.s less what would happen for the payload , bridgedeck clearance performance etc.?

Greetings

Gideon
Old 22-03-2008, 08:54   #26

Boat: Maine Cat 41
It really doesn't matter whether FastCat has an economic 'interest'. He's entitled to his opinion. So what if we have 'proponents' of products here. It's not hidden. We're able to sift thru all the details pretty well I would imagine.

We've seen individuals with their own 'axe to grind' who are promoting their own beliefs/agendas regarding products and designs. This is all part and parcel of a forum. If Fastcat was hiding his interests while promoting a product line, then one might have an issue. Self righteous preaching to others about 'where' they can or can't share info, even what might be ad copy, is actually more offensive to me.

It's a great way to have interactive advertising if you will that enhances the forum experience AND our collective quest for more knowledge about the subjects we love.
Old 22-03-2008, 09:18   #27

If boat designers / builders were prevented from posting information on their products this site would become a lot less interesting. By posting here these people are engaging in 2-way communication and answer queries that I find valuable and interesting.
Old 22-03-2008, 10:20   #28

I agree with both of you, so long as you know where the comments are coming from and the individual doesn't dominate and at times change the topic of discussion to fit thier commercial needs. With that said, I find the comments from actual owners to be of the most use, we get the good as well as the bad and sometimes the ugly with no sales pitch. And having any vendor who wants to promote products actually pay for the ads will support this great site, insuring it will be available for all to use in the future.
Old 22-03-2008, 10:51   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

I'm not ordinarily one who enjoys "infomercials"

But to be fair to SpeedyPussy his posts and arguments do at least come accross as being the product of a rational mind (unlike someone else who posts here for the same reasons and who I suspect has inhaled way too much Aluminium as part of his job ).

Whilst a large Catamaran is outside my interests (and budget!) I do enjoy reading and learning about the pros and cons of cats - to which I feel that SpeedyPussy does contribute to this forum - whilst he makes and debates his points it also allows others to do the same and therefore presents valuable info for the less informed (moi!) on Cats in general to either ponder over or use for further research.

And of course he does have "Commercial Vendor" clearly marked against his name and IMO if folk can't figure out that this equals a vested interest then........they won't figure my new signature out

Old 22-03-2008, 10:59   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am from the Netherlands and here we have freedom of speech and writing and I am very happy about that.

We enjoy the same freedom here. The government may not suppress our speech or writings. I'm sure neither US or Dutch government will give any of us any trouble here.

Just for the record we are not the government. We don't have to abide by the constitution of any government because we own the country. Your freedom to post anything want ended at our front door. We are not a free source of advertisement. We are tolerant but only to a point. The advancement of your business is no affair of ours. We offer no advancement or detraction from your future success in spite of our general feelings that good boats and related products are greatly needed.

We have offered you a free space in the Vendor section to conduct specific information about your products with those that desire to do so.

Please explain to us all how we have been unfair toward you? Please explain how after our generosity you still don't comprehend the rules.
Closed Thread