Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2020, 13:37   #16

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: I Built a 45' cat, sailed a bit, Now What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Yep, James would be a good bet as long as it isn't plywood - I think he's done with that type of construction. I'm sure he'd be up for an interior upgrade as long as the boat is Grp. He'll be needing some projects going forward as nobody wants to watch him doing Macrame on deck (even if it is Dyneema)
Let me retract my last post, now that I have seen the picture. James has had enough recent trauma - he doesn't deserve this.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 14:20   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Let me retract my last post, now that I have seen the picture. James has had enough recent trauma - he doesn't deserve this.
After looking at the pics and the post I can understand why some towns are attempting to eliminate anchoring.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 14:24   #18

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

Yeah, I hadnt seen the pic before I posted my reply.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 15:23   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

so i dont think it looks that bad- if made of fiberglass then i think it coulod be cleaned up and sold- agree with the 10k-15k range. - depends a lot on the interior from a how does it show standpoint. i would think IF the hulls are sound then it would be a huge headstart on someone who was going to build a boat-- that is your market not someone who is ready to put in a couple of months work and then sail. i have a hard time letting go of stuff too but i think it is time to let this one go for whatever you can get, unless you like the idea of doing a great loop as a power cat. Hey worst comes to worst you can say- "yeah i built a Cat and sailed her to the islands just for an adventure" not many can say that--- gotta have a dream to have a dream come true-- good luck.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 15:55   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Yep, James would be a good bet as long as it isn't plywood - I think he's done with that type of construction. I'm sure he'd be up for an interior upgrade as long as the boat is Grp. He'll be needing some projects going forward as nobody wants to watch him doing Macrame on deck (even if it is Dyneema)
Ah, plywood was not the problem that caused the breakup of that boat. GRP boats have made all sorts of crossings.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 18:07   #21

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Ah, plywood was not the problem that caused the breakup of that boat. GRP boats have made all sorts of crossings.
You're correct. Plywood itself did not cause the bulkhead to fail but the fact the James found places where the plywood was delaminating was what convinced him not to replace that bulkhead himself. He just didn't trust it any longer.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 18:32   #22

Boat: EDELCAT33

Got more pictures? Only saw one. Does not look that bad
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 23:00   #23

If the picture is representative of the state of the boat...the first person who offers to take it at any price...give it to them.

This isn't meant to be harsh but you will be lucky to get $10k based on that picture.

If that picture is not representative of the state of the boat, clean it up and get some better pictures...then never show this one again.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 00:46   #24

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Side Topic:. Can you explain how that Tabernacle works?

I'd love to out one on my boat but am not sure it's worth the time/effort as compared to paying to have the mast unstepped.

It's a dream of mine to be able to do that.

60ft carbon mast on a similar size cat.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 05:54   #25

Boat: Home made 45' Catamaran

CaptLoyd, you are right, "lots of naysayers on CF". How I wished people would use their brain for positive things... or just use their brain.

Back to technical talk;
A few asked pertinent questions about hull construction; I built those hulls using cedar strips core, bi-axial fiberglass epoxy in and out (3 or 4 layers on the bottom) plus a layer of epoxy kevlar inside.
I poured foam in the bottoms in case of catastrophic crash.
2 foot draft, smooth bottom for beaching and no thru hulls, used pick up tubes to get seawater.
Transverse beams are 8 inch structural Aluminum C beams, glued and bolted to main bulkheads.
All of this is still strong (if not pretty) and worthy of keeping.
Everything on top is usable but I made a few mistakes in cutting some corners. All will be removed on the next overhaul, which will be probably to make it a hybrid power-solar boat like some of you suggested. Might take a year or two to get funds and time but it will happen.
Great loop would be nice to do once. We already sailed the east leg, although late in the season...cold was setting.
Selling the boat to the right person, (someone wanting to build a cat like Madehn rightfully wrote) would still be an option to fund our other projects, $12k would be the min.
Thanks for all the constructive thoughts
NowAndZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 06:08   #26

Boat: Home made 45' Catamaran

Side Topic:. Can you explain how that Tabernacle works?

I'd love to out one on my boat but am not sure it's worth the time/effort as compared to paying to have the mast unstepped.

It's a dream of mine to be able to do that.

60ft carbon mast on a similar size cat.

Hi Chotu,
not an easy thing to do, lateral movement get scary when you raise the mast, yours would be even worst at 60 foot. You want to be in calm waters.
In all cases you need a gin pole and a winch but the trick is to have two gin poles and two synchronized winches pulling from each cat bows to prevent side fails. Gin poles need to strong and seriously braced. Retaining from two halyards at the back corners helps a lot if you have help or do it slowly.
If you have access to a crane you might want to stick with it.
Good luck
NowAndZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 09:37   #27

Quote:
If you just don't use it anymore, give it a quick clean and sell it before it just rots and save yourself the slip fees and insurance. There's seems to be a fairly strong market right now for larger Cats (not too sure about "one offs"). You didn't mention what you built it out of - if it's Grp you should have no problem unloading it. Plywood would probably be more iffy even though it isn't that old and apparently doesn't have a lot of sea miles on it.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dmYUxwUzNYZHd3
Ivansgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 06:37   #28

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAndZen View Post
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...rxisnLLtxaypFR

Hi girls and guys. We are looking for advice about what to do next;
From 2004 to 2007, I built a 45 foot catamaran in 3 years; 7000 hours, $40,000 in materials.
We went to the keys and the Bahamas in 2009
Since then we had to go back up North and work, the boat has been anchored for 12 years in the Tampa Bay area and needs lots of TLC. Our vacations are all about caring for our boat.
We are a little confused about what's next for our big baby; selling it to the right person would be nice but difficult, it would require a very handy owner looking for a big project.
Keeping it would be nice too to escape from the Canadian cold winters.
I would then like to make it a solar boat; scrap a lot of weight and make a solar canopy; even thinking about converting Prius parts for power. My engineering mind has too many projects for one life...

Looking for some enlightenment; Any wise advice would be appreciated
Time t move on. Get an RV camper and spend a lot less money.
You are obviously a project guy, not a sailor or you wouldn't ask.
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 06:52   #29

I would create more detail, perhaps a link with full inventory and more detailed pictures of the boat and an outline of what makes you tick and what you are looking for in life and ask the question again. One question to ask yourself: If you had the last 12 years to vacation in other ways, would you? Looking forward 12 years, how would you like to have spent that time and how do you make that closer to a reality.
Perfect Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 09:30   #30

FYI, I saw this Youtube a while ago.

It is about trailer launching a Grampian 26. Part of the video is raising the mast. You will see from the set up there is attachments to make the lateral support. Basically triangulation. You could do this on a cat easily. But why?
In this case on a mono hull you don't really have the width to work with. On the Cat you do.
The pivot would work better without the tabernacle which is for narrow boats not wide cats. The pivot could have 3 hinge points (all in line laterally) and the bottom of the mast be a triangle. Basically incorporate the tabernacle and lateral brace as part of the mast itself or a fixture of the mast. Love the clear view from the cabin. I'm interested. Lots of room for creative improvement. I love a challenge !!!! Life is so without it.... Cheers.
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail