Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2021, 18:22   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
HydroAxe Rope cutter

I have been researching Rope Cutters for my just arrived Elba 45. I have looked long and hard at the 'Stripper / Cutter' from Ambassador Marine they were as far as I know the only company to offer a rope cutter for sail drive boats up until now, but I think this new HydroAxe is easier to fit and looks to be of high quality, and made in the UK, time will tell if I am right.

Manufacturer is Darglow Engineering https://www.darglow.co.uk/
I have found Darglow excellent on email questions with very clear detailed responses, the HydroAxe rope cutter is relatively new to the market however I am going to order a pair, having said that I know it is a bit late for this question but any one on the Forum have any experience with this product.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 04:51   #2

Re: HydroAxe Rope cutter

please report with your experience. tia
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 14:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
please report with your experience. tia
Will do.
Old 07-11-2021, 16:43   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Will do.
Any chance that you could provide an update on your HydroAxe? How well is it working? How difficult is the installation? Any problems with HydroAxe? Thank you very much
SaltyBreeze450S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:03   #5
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

I bought two Featherstream props and ambassador rope cutters from Darglow.
The Hydroaxe wasn't offered then - last year I think. They look very similar to the ambassador ones. The props were made to suit the cutters. The only other change is the anodes require a hole drilled for the cutter. This looks the same on the Hydroaxe.
Darglow were very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Just a happy customer
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:42   #6

Is a stripper type rope cutter such as HydroAxe or Ambassador Marine (look quite similar to me ?) much better to cut large ropes vs. a scissor type cutter
like Spurs ? Why ? Any actual feedback much appreciated...
Thanks
TeddieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 06:37   #7

Boat: O38 & J24

What has your experience been? Also, it looks like the anodes are proprietary to the cutter manufacturer, which don't list them in their online store. Where does one get them and how much do they cost?
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 06:58   #8

Hi Salty Breeze450 and Fluer de Mer, as I have experienced delays in fitting out my 2021 new Elba 45 mainly due to supply issues here in Australia and due to covid etc here in Australia, it is only very recently that I have reached the point of finally commissioning the Elba 45, I have personally only put on about 20 hours on the engines and most of those hours are due to testing and setting up the systems, I am only now getting around to sailing the craft for pleasure rather than going out for testing purposes hence my delay in responding to Salty Breeze450S inquiry back in November 2021.

The bottom line is I have nothing to report as until I am aware that the rope cutters have cut something I cannot advise how good they work, so far I am not aware that they have, I guess I fitted them as a precaution hoping in the event that if my props did run in to some floating ropes etc. they stop or at least reduce any potential damage or inconvenience, on my previous Cat a Lagoon 400 I was up for a repairs due to fishing line damaging the sail leg seals I am hopeful that should I run in to stray fishing line or rope, my cutters will save this expense and inconvenience, my home port always have fisherman on either side of the narrow entrance to the Marina with lines out that one can’t help but run over them on occasions, if nothing else if the cutters slice those lines prior to wrapping around the leg they will be a worthwhile investment IMHO.

Re questions from Fluer de Mer
(What has your experience been? Also, it looks like the anodes are proprietary to the cutter manufacturer, which don't list them in their online store. Where does one get them and how much do they cost?)

With respect to the anodes the rear one is the only proprietary one it is a split design and I think it could be changed under water if required, the other is the standard Volvo item, in my initial discussions with Darglow I ordered the proprietary one and a spare, cost 34 English pounds each plus postage. I just checked the Darglow website and I can’t see them listed either, I suggest you call them or send an email requesting availability and current cost, the Anodes was the first question I asked prior to ordering.

With respect to Salty Breeze450 questions.
(Any chance that you could provide an update on your HydroAxe? How well is it working? How difficult is the installation? Any problems with HydroAxe? Thank you very much)

The removal of the Volvo props and installation of the HydroAxe Rope Cutters took about 40 minutes each and was relatively simple, no holes to drill, re how is it working see above.

I had several emails with Darglow Engineering in the UK prior to placing my order and I spoke to Chris the CEO over the phone, I can’t speak highly enough of Darglow Engineering based on my experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Darglow anodes_2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	256676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Props closed_Forum.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	256677  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Props open.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	256678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Volvo - Darglow Anodes.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	256679  

Old 27-04-2022, 10:01   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450S

PeterP, thank you for the response, helpful comments and excellent pictures. I decided not to install any cutters on my 2017 L450S but your pictures and comments are causing me to reconsider since our haul out is delayed until early June 2022. Thanks again and I hope you enjoy your new Elba, a super nice boat.
SaltyBreeze450S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, rope