Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 06:28   #1

Hull Repair Question

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Now this video is long i should have cut it but the one hull is worse then the other, it looks like someone ran into a rock and made a nice scrape into the fiberglass!

so my question is what do i buy i have patched blasters in walls and big holes in walls to be finished like nothing ever happened i am sure this is the same thing?

i was looking at this website: AeroMarine Products - Epoxy Resin, Urethane Foam, Silicone Mold Making Rubber

what is the best to use here and cheapest and easiest to use?

thanks
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:45   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Hull repair Question

hmm.. I would walk away from it. The hull is riddled with osmosis blisters and parts look like it was shot with dozens of bird-shot shells.

Where gel-coat is missing, the roundish spots is where blisters have burst or were opened. The other "beaching" damage i the easy part to fix.

A repair to like-new state is probably costlier than a new one.

Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:19   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Hull repair Question

Would concur with Nick, the damage along the bottom would be easy enough, but the blisters well you would just have to live with them. Also it will have zero re-sale value despite any work you put into it. Walk away, plenty of other boats about.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:53   #4

Re: Hull Repair Question

What r u guys talking about walking away??? its my boat, just tell me what product to use? with the bubbles you just pop them and fill and paint but what type of product to use?
Old 04-12-2011, 21:57   #5

You've got a pretty big job there. The good news is that it is pretty straight forward. I'd turn the hulls over so you can get at them easily. Then chip out or carefully grind out the blisters, careful not to enlarge them too much. I'd then fill the holes with an epoxy / microbaloon mixture. The key would to only use a hand sanding longboard to sand it smooth. If you use a rotary sander, the fairness will get away from you and make the job bigger. You'd then need to barrier coat the hull with something like Interlux Intrprotect, and then paint. If you've never done this type of work before, it would be advisable to get some experienced help. good luck!
drewke07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 22:15   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Looks to me like a severe failure of the factory gelcoat. If it was my boat I would want to remove all of the gel and start over. I don't think it's osmosis because the blistering appears to continue all the way up the hulls, well past the water line. I don't see any on the deck in what little I saw though. I'd guess either they laminated too late and lost the bond at the factory, or you're looking at some sort of alligation problem. I've seen failed gel because they didn't catch the bond in the factory before, looks a lot like that. I'd try to flip the hulls if possible, then use or hire a gelcoat peeler to take the hulls back to bare fiberglass. Then grind and fair with WEST and 407. It's a big job to do it right. If you just try to grind out the blisters you see and fill and fair them, finishing with paint, I think you will waste a lot of time and money because the rest of the substrate will continue to fail. And you'll never get all the blisters. JMHO.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 22:30   #7

If you're going to keep it on a trailer, I wouldn't bother fixing it. Just sail the heck out of it.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:44   #8

well the whole boat is fine i really didn't notice it until i looked underneath the hulls, but yes i have a few people in the family that has done repair on bottoms which were considered bad bottom blisters. i just didnt know myself with out talking to them what the order of events that need to take place Yes i am taking it off the trailer and flipping over so i can work on the one the side that is bad, i am going to do one hull this year!
so i need to builld a craddle for the hull i was gonna buy 2 16ft 2X4s and then 10ft 2X4s make a box like then make a X with the 2X4s then just build supports for the X ! I really have no IDEA what to do here anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_a_sailor3 View Post
What r u guys talking about walking away??? its my boat, just tell me what product to use? with the bubbles you just pop them and fill and paint but what type of product to use?

Repair the bottom blisters with west system barrier coat after you grind them out. (You'll need to let them to bleed and dry out first) The structurally damaged fiberglass will need to be repaired with resin, filler and/or fabric. Smaller damage and screw or fitting holes can be repaired with West six-10. There are also a number of good quality fairing resins suitable for immersion conditions on the market to fair the hull once the repairs are done.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull