Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2018, 12:12   #1

Boat: 2012 Lagoon 450
How much 12mm chain will my Locker hold

Hello, And Thanks in advance. I have a lagoon 450 and would like to know how much 12mm anchor chain the locker will hold. Thanks
Builder G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 13:03   #2
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: How much 12mm chain will my Locker hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder G. View Post
Hello, And Thanks in advance. I have a lagoon 450 and would like to know how much 12mm anchor chain the locker will hold. Thanks
I had 100m@12mm on my L440 and cut it down to about 70m as it was useless for me and rather heavy in the front of the boat. Be careful if you intend to use max possible length: the chain does not pile up properly in the locker and you may have to use your hands to put the chain on the sides so that the windlass doesn't get stuck...
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 13:32   #3

I have just replaced my chain, on the 450. Put in 80 meters of 13mm Grade "L"

The end of the chain had a rope attached approx 10metes long x 20mm nylon. This would not go through the pipe through the deck. I understand that it is there as a point to cut away the chain if needed, but why have a pile of rope in the locker that would not go through the deck to be able to cut on deck. If for some reason the anchor tried to pull that rope through the pipe I suspect it would just rip it out of the deck.

New chain attached via 16mm much shorter rope that will go through deck to be able to cut away if required.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 19:39   #4

If you are in the USA you may find it difficult to source European 12mm or 13mm chain for a reasonable price. US 1/2" does not fit the gypsy. We ended up with G4 Hi Test 7/16" chain which works on the same gypsy. We got 300ft from Defender and it fits nicely in the locker and does not jam up inside the locker like our previous 12mm European chain did. (For reference G4 Hi Test 7/16 Working load is 7,200 lbs, BBB 1/2" Working load is 4500 lbs)
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 19:11   #5

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I suspect that the rope SHOULD have easily gone through the deck hawse if it had been properly spliced to the chain--or the rope was unnecessarily heavy or of the wrong type.

I had 20mm nylon spliced to the end of my 12mm short linked chain and it went through the deck hawse without problems.

Alternately, since this is important, if the nylon rode is properly spliced to the chain using a modified back splice with the ends whipped and staggered, the whole covered in heat shrink cross-linked polythene sleeve (which must be slid on to the rode prior to splicing) and shrunk down using a hot air blower rather than a flame, if this combination will not pass then you need to have a larger hawse fitted.

The last thing one needs is having had an anchor drag in storm circumstances. Adequate anchor tackle is one of the essentials along with a sound hull and reliable and adequate emergency bilge drainage.

The only other extraneous comment I will make is to have one of those wrap-over heavy plastic shrouds to encase the nylon as it passes over the bow roller or through fair leads. Nylon is elastic--and this stretching as the vessel seat back on her anchor can cause chafe unless the rope is protected by a sacrificial shroud. I make my own from very thick walled heavy duty non-toxic PVC clear tube..Other types of tubing might also be suitable.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote