Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2020, 08:38   #16

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: How Do You Carry Your Dink on Passages- Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Ah, but I recall reading about a crew in a Helia that HAD to fix their broken escape hatch. I don't know what the sea conditions were at the time, but they used the dink to get at the hatch from under the bridge deck.....saved the boat if I recall. I agree that if sea conditions were really bad, using the dink would be dangerous or impossible

The pitch pole scenario was sorta tongue in cheek. Extremely rare to be sure. However, a certain percentage of cat owners say they don't carry life rafts.....the dink is their life raft if it survives the event.

I appreciate the responses.....was just curious. I've only island hopped, sometimes in some rather sporty conditions, but nothing more than 42 knots or 8 foot seas. Evidently pooping isn't the issue I thought it could be.
I was in a mooring field and went under my Orana (predecessor to Helia) in my dinghy to clear the galley sink drain. A passerby's wake slammed me into the underside of the bridge deck. I have no idea how those people repaired the hatch in rough seas. I guess when survival kicks in you can do quite a lot more.
Old 14-04-2020, 09:26   #17
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I would think having the dink right side up on the davits would be a bad idea, regardless if the motor was attached or not.

Upside down on the davits may not be a totally bad idea, though I would think it's not an ideal solution.

Deflating, and stowing would be safest, but what if you need it in an emergency.

Example....you don't have a life raft and you've just pitch poled.....

Or you need the dink to effect repairs ....like when your escape hatch glass breaks and you need to go under the bridgedeck to plug the hole before you sink.

I've seen a video or two where the dink is up on the davits when out in the open ocean and I'm like......aaaaaaa......don't think that's a great idea.

I am most interested to hear what you have to say.

Oh, and for those that will ask........"What kind of Cat?" Let's say 40-45' modern condo-maran.
Saying that you have never had problems with a davit-dink passage or that many others have successfully crossed oceans with that configuration doesn't negate the reality that it is a bad practice. A quote by Lee Child covers the subject well, "Hope for the best, Plan for the worst." As we see with this year's pandemic, many don't follow that treatise and lives have been lost because of it.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Old 14-04-2020, 10:20   #18

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

The love/hate relationship for dinghy davits … those that have them love them, and those that don't have them hate it that others have them.
Old 14-04-2020, 10:30   #19

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Have had our dinghy on davits with the engine on (15 then 18HP 2 stroke) for some 12,000+ miles on this boat, including some 40+ constant winds uphill and downhill plus a couple of 60+ kt squalls. Several times in significant seas. Going to weather never an issue. Downhill waves have never come close to getting into the dinghy. There is a ton of bouyancy in the sterns of cats, usually not a lot of weight and they rise very quickly. Only breaking waves we've had only came up to the second swimstep. Thankfully have never been out in hurricane or other really big winds. I do always make sure it is secured so that it cannot bounce around. In survival conditions I would much rather have the dinghy on davits where it is away from the boat than on deck where it could break loose and start breaking things.

Do get some splashing of water into the dinghy but nothing to worry about. I also leave the drain plug out so rain water won't stay in it.

If you read Dashew's book about the Queen's Day storm there were no issues with dinghies on davits on catamarans, even in those conditions. (Book available to download for free from setsail.com) The book is great reading for anyone who goes out onto open water. Can learn lots of lessons from other peoples experiences.

Couple of comments on other posts.

I would never tow a dinghy while at sea, unless I expected the insurance company to buy me a new one.

As far as repairing the escape hatch at sea, couldn't imagine trying to do it from outside with any sea running. I carry sheets of plywood and 2X4's to use as strongbacks so I could seal/replace the hatch from inside the boat.
Old 14-04-2020, 12:02   #20

I always carried my 10ft. RIB on the davits of our Manta catamaran. On the first few ocean passages (Labrador to Iceland; Iceland to the Faeroe Islands, Faeroe Islands to Scotland) I removed the outboard (6hp 2stroke) and put it in a cockpit locker, hoisted the dinghy on the davits, then tilted it vertically and tied in place. I, too, worried about getting pooped, dinghy filling with water, pinning the stern down and getting larger waves in the cockpit.
We were in gales, lay to a sea anchor, had steep waves, etc. and never took a large wave over the decks or even close to the dinghy. After that I always removed the outboard for long passages and put it in a cockpit self-draining locker, pulled the drain plug on the dinghy and tied it up so it would not swing about (four lines plus lifting tackles) and sailed on. We went down to the Beagle Channel, around Cape Horn, had 60knots plus gusts hitting us sailing south of Ila de Estados on our way to the Falkland Islands and never had more than a bit of spray in the dinghy.
I would not say getting the dinghy in davits filled with water on a catamaran was impossible, but our Catamaran was so buoyant in the stern it was never a concern during the 60,000plus miles we sailed that boat.
Old 14-04-2020, 13:47   #21
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
The love/hate relationship for dinghy davits … those that have them love them, and those that don't have them hate it that others have them.

And I’m a hater at this point!
Old 14-04-2020, 16:34   #22

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

This thread is food for thought,
In very rough seas, would I lower the Dink and try to get in it, No, I wouldnt,
Thats very scary even thinking about it,

I have set my Cat up so it cant sink, It may be at water level, But not under it,
I have three blow up mattresses That displace 3.5 tons of my boats weight of 4.5 tons,
The inbuilt floatation chambers cover the other ton, Amply,
Even the Dink would become a floatation chamber if its a blow up one,
I havent calculated it, But it would certainly come close to supporting a ton of boat,
A cubic yard or metre of air, Approx, will support a Ton,

Changing the pulleys from the davits to the rear mast back stay cleat on the bottom steps would effectively keep the rear of the boat afloat and above the waterline,

Then wait a couple of days for the weather to clear, Then you can repair your boat in calm seas, ,
Old 14-04-2020, 18:03   #23

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
And I’m a hater at this point!
Awe come on. What would it take to build some davits? Might have to reposition the traveler!

Oh, and you know you've had them before. ;-)
Old 14-04-2020, 18:55   #24

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Life raft in hard case is lashed on deck just forward of my dodger...deflated dinghy is lashed forward of the hard case. Everyone has knife on lanyard attached to life jacket if hard case didn’t open.
Old 14-04-2020, 20:16   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

You will note that ALMOST all of the davit haters sail monohulls, whilst the OP asked about multihulls. Effective davits are one of the many advantages of most multihulls. I have carried a dinghy, 11'6"-12', 18 -25 HP for over 40,000 miles. The Leopard 45 dinghy system carries the dinghy very tight and high, at least eight feet above the water. I can't imagine getting it pooped or carrying it upside down. I do always pull the plug out, for rain.
Old 14-04-2020, 20:22   #26

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

My wife and I use an inflatable kayak that stores in the cockpit bench seat.
Old 14-04-2020, 22:31   #27

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
You will note that ALMOST all of the davit haters sail monohulls, whilst the OP asked about multihulls. Effective davits are one of the many advantages of most multihulls. I have carried a dinghy, 11'6"-12', 18 -25 HP for over 40,000 miles. The Leopard 45 dinghy system carries the dinghy very tight and high, at least eight feet above the water. I can't imagine getting it pooped or carrying it upside down. I do always pull the plug out, for rain.
Yep its hard to imagine a largeish cat being pooped but it does happen. I was berthed alongside a leopard 46 awhile back that had a rogue wave break ON its cockpit while running. It stove in the whole roof, bending the steel posts at about 30 degrees.

One davit was left the other went with the dinghy...

Its low risk of happening but dont kid yourself it is a risk.
Old 15-04-2020, 01:24   #28
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
I always carried my 10ft. RIB on the davits of our Manta catamaran. On the first few ocean passages (Labrador to Iceland; Iceland to the Faeroe Islands, Faeroe Islands to Scotland) I removed the outboard (6hp 2stroke) and put it in a cockpit locker, hoisted the dinghy on the davits, then tilted it vertically and tied in place. I, too, worried about getting pooped, dinghy filling with water, pinning the stern down and getting larger waves in the cockpit.
We were in gales, lay to a sea anchor, had steep waves, etc. and never took a large wave over the decks or even close to the dinghy. After that I always removed the outboard for long passages and put it in a cockpit self-draining locker, pulled the drain plug on the dinghy and tied it up so it would not swing about (four lines plus lifting tackles) and sailed on. We went down to the Beagle Channel, around Cape Horn, had 60knots plus gusts hitting us sailing south of Ila de Estados on our way to the Falkland Islands and never had more than a bit of spray in the dinghy.
I would not say getting the dinghy in davits filled with water on a catamaran was impossible, but our Catamaran was so buoyant in the stern it was never a concern during the 60,000plus miles we sailed that boat.
Sounds like that trip would make an interesting read
Old 15-04-2020, 02:58   #29

Boat: LAGOON 400

i got used to my electric motor. Charged while on davits, gives you feel of being more in contact with nature, like sailing. Yeah, no need for petrol which is cool these days.

It is easy to remove it and store inside. No smells.

Power is 3hp equivalent but we are happy with performance even in rough stuff.

Dinghy is pulled higher (than with petrol engine) as well so that low point of propeller is around 1m above water and is also above tunnel.

If wave hits solar will be mess but cant have it all. Never had an issue with that though even in breaking seas when we got cockpit filled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-15_19-50-22.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	212913  
Old 15-04-2020, 04:26   #30

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

so... this is my St Francis 44 and the dinghy in "passage mode"...

I will acknowledge, its far more difficult to get the dink into this stored position than i would like.. but it works. ..and day to day use its just up on the davits

Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, passage