Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2017, 18:35   #46

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: How common is this? FP Athena sitting in a Marina rotting away

Just FYI, the subject Athena survived the hurricane relatively unscathed. Although about one third of the boats in the marina sunk, mostly due to the floating docks coming apart.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 18:50   #47

Boat: Pearson 33-2

We have one on our dock with a tree growing out of the outdrive. I'll snap a pic next time I'm on the boat.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 19:08   #48
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Just FYI, the subject Athena survived the hurricane relatively unscathed. Although about one third of the boats in the marina sunk, mostly due to the floating docks coming apart.

I hope your home and boat came through unscathed.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 19:17   #49

Home did not flood, and only minor roof damage. We were very fortunate. Surge stopped inches short. Last year we put in 30 ft pilings, 12 ft into mud, and then bolted to shorter pilings for strength. Then installed 11 ft long tide slide system. Storm surge was about 8-9 ft. Sailboat rode up with the surge, and then down. No damage.

I also stripped off everything on the boat. I think some boat owners were surprised by the day-before jump from cat 1 to cat 3 forecast. They could have prepped better. And the marina didn't hold up to the load. Lots of big boats came from all around for the floating docks. Luckily the wind blew the carnage away from us.
Old 17-09-2017, 19:50   #50

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Home did not flood, and only minor roof damage. We were very fortunate. Surge stopped inches short. Last year we put in 30 ft pilings, 12 ft into mud, and then bolted to shorter pilings for strength. Then installed 11 ft long tide slide system. Storm surge was about 8-9 ft. Sailboat rode up with the surge, and then down. No damage.

I also stripped off everything on the boat. I think some boat owners were surprised by the day-before jump from cat 1 to cat 3 forecast. They could have prepped better. And the marina didn't hold up to the load. Lots of big boats came from all around for the floating docks. Luckily the wind blew the carnage away from us.

Glad you and yours made it through ok!
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 20:11   #51
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

Great news!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 07:17   #52

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
We went for a walk at a Marina in Port A Texas and saw a catamaran sitting exactly where it was a year ago. Locals claim that it hasnt moved in over two years and they havent seen anyone on it in that time either.

To me this is nuts. They are paying ~ $5000 a year just in marina fees not to mention all that is going unserviced on that boat. Huge baracles are visable on the hulls.... I could keep going but suffice to say the value of that catamaran is falling fast. Its not listed for sale but I dont know that there is a price I would pay for that boat becuase it has "money pit" written all over it!

So the point is this, is this common? Do you see boats just rotting away in your marinas while owners keep paying for them to be tied off to the dock?
Some of the best deals available can be found by walking the docks and looking for exactly what you have observed. If interested, contact the marina and find out who the owner is. If they won't tell you then ask them to contact the marina and tell them you are interested in buying the boat.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 07:43   #53

Quote:

Glad to hear you didn't have any major damage. My wife and I visit Port A often. I noticed there was a Lagoon 38 for sale at Island Moorings. Any idea if that boat escaped damage? Thanks.
timbo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 12:34   #54

Pretty sure it sold, as the broker signs were removed. And it may have moved before the storm.
Old 18-09-2017, 14:47   #55

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

I was sailing in my J80 race boat just for fun by myself around Marina Del Rey and I saw all the boats sitting on a nice breezy Saturday afternoon, and the thought hit me "A Million dreams and only a thousand memories"
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot