Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 20:46   #31

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: How common is this? FP Athena sitting in a Marina rotting away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
Damn, that sucks for the liveaboards.

You my friend are more optimistic than I regarding that FP Athena.

I would anticipate engne issues after it sat for five years, running rigging and yes sails, It look like one of the hatches was busted so I can only imagine the amount of mold inside requiring new mattresses & cushions at the very least but probably serious damage to wood inside as well.
I didn't get on the boat - I wouldn't get on someone else's boat without permission - but the hatch I think you are referring to has been modified to accommodate the solar-powered fan/vent. It may still be sealed from rain/etc. The other hatches all appeared to be intact.

Also, we walk this marina frequently, and for a long time there was a dinghy hanging from the davits on this boat, partially inflated. It is gone now. Suspect the owner removed it. So may not be as "abandoned" as you expect.

For the person wanting to contact the owner, the boat sits in slip 816. For reference. I suspect the marina would not give you owners name, but you could ask them to contact the owner and give him/her your name. Probably.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:16   #32

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Some of it is bragging rights I'm sure, but a whole lot of it is someone has gotten old, lost their medical, has a sickness or has fallen on hard times financially, but as long as they still own that plane or boat, they can dream, that they will get better, or maybe gain financially and return to what they used to like to do. Can't do it now, but will soon, they hope

I sold most things to go cruising, sold my Maule, but kept my old little C-140, but it's in a hanger pickled and covered in bed sheets to keep the dust off the paint, not quite the same thing, but I wanted an airplane for a long time, as long as I keep my little 140, I'm still an airplane owner
One day once I get too old or infirm to cruise, maybe I'll start flying again.
Especially since you don't really need a "medical" anymore.....
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:10   #33

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

I can see why some marina owners don't care if boats are not used, just as long as the bills are paid. But some marinas have been set up with small shops and bars nearby (also paying rent) .. in these cases I think they should charge more for unused boats as healthy use gives money to the local businesses and the knock on effect means raised rent for these now prime sites... Let alone property values.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:00   #34

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
I can see why some marina owners don't care if boats are not used, just as long as the bills are paid. But some marinas have been set up with small shops and bars nearby (also paying rent) .. in these cases I think they should charge more for unused boats as healthy use gives money to the local businesses and the knock on effect means raised rent for these now prime sites... Let alone property values.
Uh, that would be like a "non-use" tax? The personnel cost in administering would probably exceed the revenue.

Marinas bank on people not using boats frequently. Parking lots have much less capacity than the number of slips. (What if everyone showed up for a weekend, in a car?) Bathrooms are very small compared to the number of boats. I think as long as boats do not appear derelict to the point of discouraging new slip rentals, the marina is happy. Just pay your monthly rental, and don't use the facilities. Less bathroom traffic, less water usage, etc. And just like land-based apartments, marinas target a slip rental that is as much as they can get without pushing boats to other marinas (overcharging), or missing out on potential revenue (undercharge), sometimes to the point of not being profitable.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
I think you might be under estimating the number of non-boat owners (hopeless romantics?) that patronize restaurants and bars at marinas. I know I've been to more than a few in my time. They are especially popular with bikers too for some reason (I am also an avid motorcyclist).
Old 05-08-2017, 06:28   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I think you might be under estimating the number of non-boat owners (hopeless romantics?) that patronize restaurants and bars at marinas. I know I've been to more than a few in my time. They are especially popular with bikers too for some reason (I am also an avid motorcyclist).
I have noticed that to perhaps a kinship with the representation of implied freedom. That both boats and bikes represent. ( many in my marina are also bikers. )
Old 05-08-2017, 09:04   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I have noticed that to perhaps a kinship with the representation of implied freedom. That both boats and bikes represent. ( many in my marina are also bikers. )
That is definitely a part of it, but there is more to it. Being part of, and at the mercy of, the elements is also some of it. The big part of it for me is the skill slope. It's relatively easy to learn the basics of both, but you can spend a lifetime improving your skills, and see tangible improvements the entire time. You don't ever have to stop improving. I'm a nationally certified motorcycle riding instructor and a licensed roadracer, and I could still be better. That makes it engaging and a life long pursuit.
Old 05-08-2017, 13:55   #38

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
For reference. I suspect the marina would not give you owners name, but you could ask them to contact the owner and give him/her your name. Probably.
This sorta happened to me when I was not on my boat for a month due to medical issues. The marina called and said Mr X who's phone number is such and such asked us to contact you as he wants to make an offer on your boat. When I asked the lady at the marina she told me it is common for "dock walkers" to ask the marina about contact information of boat owners so they can make an offer. The thing is folks who do this normally really low ball with their offers and often don't really have the cash if the offer is accepted. She basically said it was best to just ignore them. Turned out to be good advice as the offer was for less than 1/4 of what the boat was insured for and the guy was kinda jerk.

I suspect to some extent this explains why lots of owners simply decline to let the marina release their information and why marinas don't like to give out information about paying customers to someone who is not likely to be a real buyer.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 14:21   #39

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I didn't get on the boat - I wouldn't get on someone else's boat without permission - but the hatch I think you are referring to has been modified to accommodate the solar-powered fan/vent. It may still be sealed from rain/etc. The other hatches all appeared to be intact.

Also, we walk this marina frequently, and for a long time there was a dinghy hanging from the davits on this boat, partially inflated. It is gone now. Suspect the owner removed it. So may not be as "abandoned" as you expect.

For the person wanting to contact the owner, the boat sits in slip 816. For reference. I suspect the marina would not give you owners name, but you could ask them to contact the owner and give him/her your name. Probably.

You obviously have more knowledge regarding this boat and I will yeild to you and your conclusions
A very thorough survey though...
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 15:34   #40

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
This sorta happened to me when I was not on my boat for a month due to medical issues. The marina called and said Mr X who's phone number is such and such asked us to contact you as he wants to make an offer on your boat. When I asked the lady at the marina she told me it is common for "dock walkers" to ask the marina about contact information of boat owners so they can make an offer. The thing is folks who do this normally really low ball with their offers and often don't really have the cash if the offer is accepted. She basically said it was best to just ignore them. Turned out to be good advice as the offer was for less than 1/4 of what the boat was insured for and the guy was kinda jerk.
Unfortunately, sometimes the medical issues do not turn out as we all would hope. I personally know of several cases like this, where the owners would have been glad to have any offer, even one of 25% of the value, simply to not have the issue of a boat to deal with at that time.

Personally, I gave the marina my number one time regarding a neglected boat. The family of the deceased contacted me a few weeks later and was relieved to sell the boat to someone who truly value it, as did their deceased father. Price was not an issue. They were just glad they could finally stop paying storage fees, which by that time had exceeded the value of the boat. They realized the boat was neglected and filthy and were glad I contacted them. Later, I found some personal items and a secret logbook hidden on the boat. I returned these items to the family, and it was very...I dunno..."special"? The logbook in particular was a treasure. While I did not read past the point to identify what it was, I could see it contained personal thoughts and reflections the family would certainly treasure.

So my opinion is that its ok to ask...but be polite and not a nuisance, and let the marina do their job...they can certainly refuse with no harm done.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 16:45   #41
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

I suspect to some extent this explains why lots of owners simply decline to let the marina release their information and why marinas don't like to give out information about paying customers to someone who is not likely to be a real buyer.

That's how we bought the boat you have before we sold it to you!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 16:54   #42

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
So my opinion is that its ok to ask...but be polite and not a nuisance, and let the marina do their job...they can certainly refuse with no harm done.
I'd concur...

and interesting side note there by smj...

Hi Tom...
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 17:00   #43
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by windhorze View Post
I'd concur...

and interesting side note there by smj...

Hi Tom...

Another side note,[emoji847] we actually tracked the owner down through his documentation not the marina.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 17:20   #44

A lot of people are funny about boats they never use.

I made the mistake of saying the wrong thing when I called up an owner of a never used Cheoy Lee 41 a few slips down from me in our marina. I knew this boat hadn't left the slip or seen the owner in at least three years. I found out who owned it and called him, but I made the classic mistake. The first thing I said was, "I notice you never use your Cheoy Lee 41 and I was wondering if you would be interested in selling it."

His response. "I use that boat all of the time. You don't know what you are talking about." Obviously, a point of some soreness. Maybe his wife had said the same thing to him the day before. I don't know, but it went downhill from there.

I tried to recover but, in the end his final words were, "I wouldn't sell it to you for anything." True to this word, he sold it a year later, still unvisited, and never even called me.
Old 05-08-2017, 18:48   #45
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Same with storage units on land.

One I just started with, owner says 80% of his units are over fifteen years never visited.

Most only touched when owner stops paying or passes on.

People with too much money,'s what I say. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot