Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 21:35   #76

Boat: between boats
Re: how big of a catamaran do we need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
It's also still possible in the US to anchor many places free while it is often difficult to safely and legally park and RV overnight free. I has seen some suggest boats "should be treated like RVs" while cruising. I assume this means a paid mooring field or paid special anchorage are every night. Maybe with street lights and a grid and number system on the bottom to show where to anchor?
I really hope this never happens, but the encroachment of mooring fields and the RVer mentality on display by many "cruisers" in some areas is concerning as a general trend.
Dont go to Croatia Boatguy - you wont like what you find there mooring field wise these days....
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 05:46   #77

Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Plenty of places to stop for the night free in an RV. Especially out west on govt land but even in the east it can easily be done.
Yes and many times you could park/camp in a Wally lot too. But that's rare now.

Quote:
As far as the other post suggesting $10/ft/night for a slip in a marina, that's crazy expense. Are we talking monaco during a festival? For a 35' boat that would be $350/night. We've stayed at nice marinas for a month at that rate. We figure around $600/month staying in marinas probably 80-90% of the time for a 34'er.
$10/ft are for transient slips - where you stay less than 3nts. I never said anything about monthly rates which are considerably cheaper. An RV campground considers everyone a transient unless they have a contract for longer stays. A diesel pusher would use 50gal of fuel daily - going about 300mi @ $4/gal + propane. The average sailcat would use more propane for cooking than diesel for the manouvering engines.

Any vessel in Monaco would certainly pay premium transient rates - more than ten/foot. We were in Croatia last November - the daily rates were $25EU/ft. We were there just two days to get our barges and get out of there.
Old 24-03-2014, 06:04   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I thought Croatia was a third worldish quasi euro first world type deal.

I'm sure you're joking on 25 euro a foot?
Old 24-03-2014, 06:33   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I'm not planning to cruise the med in the near future, but assume costs must be in-line with what the owners of an average 40 footer can pay. This site suggests 50-60 euro a nite. Somewhat reasonable. Is it wrong?

Ok, bit of thread drift coming:

I think the idea that their are some retired union pipe fitters or school principals squandering their pension dollars on high priced RVs and diesel fuel is mute. Something like 60% of americans have less than $10,000 saved for retirement. In my view recreational prices will be going down long-term in the US due to lack of demand. Perhaps we will be invaded by Chinese retirees at some stage.

Sailing Croatia - Sailing tips
Old 24-03-2014, 11:10   #80

Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I'm sure you're joking on 25 euro a foot?
I think you'd better stay stateside!

A few years ago we delivered pallets of parts to Split and Dubrovnik for gulets. That's where I met a crew from Panama on board the Patronice as they were finishing her up for launch.
Old 24-03-2014, 12:06   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

NOw... I dont find this "reasonable". When you get there, and there are only a couple of berths left..... this is the starting price. If its cheaper elsewhere on the Island, there is usually a reason. (I found out the hard way, ie construction, no water, bad entry exit, Miles from anywhere, require long bus trip or shorter expensive taxi ride...) Most of my associates/business is in Palma so as nice as other parts of the Island are, I have to be in Palma. When I can

You can get a one year rental 120 miles away including water and electric on the mainland for 3200EUR !! in a brand new marina with swimming pool, toilets and showers. Cheaper to stay there and sail to the Island, pick a quiet cove, dinghy in, do the fun stuff and sail round the Island stopping where the mood takes. (Be cautious, you need the right boat for this).

Me cheap? Darned tooting I am... Spending $10K a month in high season just for parking, takes the edge off a good time.

One nights stay in April in Mallorca

Arrival date: 01 april 2014
Departure date: 02 april 2014
Yacht type: Catamaran
Length: 10.00 meters
Beam: 6.00 meters
Draught: 1.00 meters

64.99€
La Lonja Marina Charter
59.08€

98.34€
Puerto Colònia de Sant Jordi
89.40€

115.01€
Alcudiamar
104.55€

115.01€
Reial Club Nàutic Porto Petro
104.55€

81.66€
Puerto de Portopetro
74.24€

One night in July

Arrival date: 01 july 2014
Departure date: 02 july 2014
Yacht type: Catamaran
Length: 10.00 meters
Beam: 6.00 meters
Draught: 1.00 meters

176.21€
Puerto Deportivo Naviera Balear
160.19€

176.21€
Club Nautico Palma Nova
160.19€

90.75€
Marina Port de Mallorca
82.50€

270.56€
Port Adriano
245.96€
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 16:19   #82

Exclamation Re: how big of a catamaran do we need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofowler View Post
Greetings all,

My wife and I are retiring from the military soon and are looking forward to sailing in the near future. We are planning to sail around the Caribbean - so no planned trips to Europe or pacific. It will be just us and maybe a dog and occasionally maybe one of our kids will join us whey they are out of school. Would a 30' to 38' boat suffice? The cost seems go up quite a bit going over 40'. thanks!

First may I thank you for your military service. Your sacrifices are appreciated.

You didn't describe your boating experience. Have you spent substantial time living aboard? If so, can you recall what attributes of the boat made living aboard more comfortable, or more affordable. On the other hand, do you recall things that you didn't like or found to be an irritant or a burden.

Over the years we have talked to many persons who have spent substantial time living aboard. We have also encountered many more who found the idea intriguing. Many of the replies posted here emphasize factors that are important in moving a boat from one location to another. There will be times when you will be moving your boat from one port or anchorage to another. But there are likely to be many more days when your boat will function simply as a waterfront home.

I love my cat. For a day, a week, a month or more it has been the perfect boat in terms of ease of operation, cost to maintain, and safety. But when we lived aboard for an extended period, we selected a motor yacht as our long term home. I kept the cat because its many uses couldn't be replaced by our three bedroom, two bath home on the water.

When your boat functions as your home, "real furniture" adds a lot of comfort. Household appliances can also make the difference between a happy life and a cabin mate who can't wait to get back on land. A full-size refrigerator/freezer, a dishwasher, and/or a washer dryer require life on the hook transform to life at the dock. You may never make that transition. But many will, and despite the indignation of the "wanna bees" and the "real boaters" , such a choice is yours to make. It is your life - make your own choices and do what makes you and your partner happy.

As others have already noted, the list of household items I mentioned are probably not a great choice for a catamaran. Before you buy, think long and hard about how much these everyday "luxuries" will be missed, if not by you, perhaps by your partner. Then keep an open mind and give some thought to the advantages of a monohull motor yacht or trawler (unless you are incredibly wealthy, the cost to maintain a motoryacht can quickly take the joy out of your dream).

Living the dream means different things to different people because the dream is always personal and therefore it is rarely true that one size fits all. So keep an open mind. For those times you are under motor or sail, in my opinion a cat is a wonderful choice. But for a decade of life on the water, giving due consideration to enjoying the comforts of life doesn't make you a "landlubber", just someone who is comfortable in his/her own skin and doesn't make choices just to impress others. (Spend a couple hours sitting on that picture perfect combination dinette/living room sofa in a 44 foot cat and you will soon appreciate making comfortable choices for the long term).

Good luck, don't be in a hurry, and keep in mind that advice is often worth exactly what you paid for it, and my opinion is no exception to the rule.
CatalacOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 13:51   #83
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Catalacowner, a very nice post. I suspect, however, from what h2ofowler was saying, he and his wife would like to have a cat for sailing (and as budget seems to be a concern, I suspect much anchoring) in the Caribbean. While there is no question that one can much more in the way of creature comforts on a power cruiser/trawler, many of those creature comforts require use of the engines or large generators as a power source.

IMO, unless they are being unrealistic about their expectations (and require a great deal of luxury), he and his wife should be able to get by living on board a 35-40 foot cat in the caribbean. One has to keep in mind that a great deal of time will be spent above deck and that for many, the sleeping cabins are for exactly that. A Lagoon 380, for example, will provide decent accomodation (albeit a relatively small galley) in a nice, bright environment with reasonable performance. Unlike some other Lagoons, they had decent bridgedeck clearance and certainly they have proven to be quite seaworthy.

The PDQ 36 recommended by others would be an other excellent choice. Extremely well built, they provide decent performance and accomodation if one is not interested in multiple head compartments and a large bridgedeck saloon. The PDQ 32 is another excellent boat, although some will find the lack of headroom in the saloon (except when the sliding companionway hatch is open) to be a deal breaker.

While I am not sure that either PDQ is really an offhsore boat, they are perfect Caribbean/Bahamas cruisers and have the advantage (and yes, if trying to keep costs down, I say advantage) of being available with retractable outboards.

The Gemini 105MC certainly has a large number of fans and if kept lightly laden, has more than just decent performance. I have never been a huge fan of either the build quality, or the lack of bridgedeck clearance ( or for that matter, of the need to look through the saloon windows in order to see forward from the helm), but there is no question they provide decent bang for the buck.

Older Catalacs and Prouts can also provide huge bang for the buck. They are certainly offshore capable (not that this is listed as a priority by the OP) and a great many people have cruised on them quite happily around the world.

If they have more money and can afford to go to 40 feet LOA, they can of course look at an even larger number of boats that would fit the bill including the Moorings/Leopard 40 which has decent build quality and a larger galley than the Lagoon 380.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 07:36   #84

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Don't leave out FP's Mahe 36 from this discussion. Built to a charter spec so it's available in numbers since start of build in 2007(?), rugged and blue water capable.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 09:13   #85
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
NOw... I dont find this "reasonable".

270.56€
Port Adriano
245.96€
Who in the world pays over $300 a night for a boat slip???? Does this slip come with amenities not listed? Do they at least buy you dinner before.....er...ahh...taking your money?

That's positively obscene.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 19:44   #86

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Who in the world pays over $300 a night for a boat slip???? Does this slip come with amenities not listed? Do they at least buy you dinner before.....er...ahh...taking your money?

That's positively obscene.
Yes it is and thats just a quote for a 10m cat at that! Yes Europe can be pretty pricey for berths generally but for cats the uplift of between 30% and 150% over the standard berth fees can get pretty painful.

The joke of it is you still pay the uplift in half empty marinas where space is not at a premium or if you berth alongside and take no more dock than a mono.

Ive said it before but while i love my cat for the med only I would consider a mono next time.... almost. Nah hang that ill just anchor out more.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran