Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2023, 20:21   #1

Hirondelle 23 MK 1 for coastal and Caribbean sailing?

What are the thoughts of a Hirondelle 23 MK 1 for coastal and Caribbean sailing? Not from a comfort perspective and not long term... I'm referring to safely. Is it too small of a boat to sail reasonably safely down the Atlantic coast and into the Caribbean? I found one on a trailer that I think would be good for learning the basics in my local lake then progress to the bay... Coastal... Then maybe three Bahamas or something... without needing to upgrade a boat between each jump. I found one for sale locally on a trailer.
john745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 20:24   #2

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Re: Hirondelle 23 MK 1 for coastal and Caribbean sailing?

Not safe….
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 20:38   #3

Great.
Can anyone explain why?
Old 21-03-2023, 03:31   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

John745 if Sam Holmes can sail a 16 foot Hobie cat to the Bahamas then surely the Hirondelle can make it? A quick Google shows a claim that a Hirondelle crossed the Atlantic.
The best bit is if you decide to call it quits then you can just trailer the boat home.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 04:11   #5

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I think any boat that has survived 50 years and is still sailing is probably reasonably safe. Tall mast for the size of the hull so best not to have too much sail up if the conditions are gusty. Here's a link to a family with small kids sailing Chichester to Cornwall (a couple of hundred miles) a trip that'll likely have worse conditions than the Caribbean, outside of hurricane season of course...

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 04:26   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by john745 View Post
Great. Can anyone explain why?
Yes, I would like to see clarification of that statement, because I don't believe it. After all we are talking coastal sailing.

Built on the South Coast of the UK, so will have crossed to France frequently. That's 60 - 90 miles depending were you go, not that different from FL to the Bahamas surely? Particularly given a good weather forecast.

Tried to buy a H23 years ago from an absentee owner who left the boat abandoned in the dinghy park. He really was absent and even the yacht club couldn't trace him, so had to move on sadly. Headroom a bit tight, but lots of space, just don't overload it, less is more.

Therefore I think it would be ideal for your plan. Being able to trail a huge bonus too. Nothing goes to windward like a trailer behind a SUV. You could cover a lot of miles exploring different areas with that boat. Then take it home for the winter.

There was a USA white/yellow H23 which had a super makeover. White inside with light grey trim and bright yellow cushions. Whoever did it for minimal cost made a superb job of it.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 07:00   #7

Thank you all for your responses. I need something relatively comfortable for the kids and wife while I do my exploring and something I can trailer. Thank you all. Yes, I scoured the internet and saw the same.

Tags
Caribbean, rib, sail, sailing