Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2023, 16:31   #1

Hi all! looking to sail with someone on a multihull for the experience

Hello all!
My wife and I have owned and chartered monohulls many times, and now we are getting into our 50's, I've always eyed the multihulls out there with interest. Besides Hobi cats, we've never sailed on multihull and we've been asking around at some marinas for any programs where they schedule outings, but other than chartering one I havent found any. I dont want to charter one by ourselves as we would rather enjoy the company of others also perhaps split the cost. The other option I was throwing out there was if anyone is looking for a fun couple to join them for a short daysail we would happily bring provisions, some awesome wine, and just talk a bit on the experience and benefits of a multihull. We currently live just outside Raleigh NC and visit the cost often- Especially Oriental and Wilmington!
If interested let me know how to get in touch and we can plan something- Hope this is the right forum for this as well. Thanks and hope to hear from anyone interested!

Jon R
Clayton, NC
pilotjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 05:28   #2

Boat: 2018 Jeanneau 419
Re: Hi all! looking to sail with someone on a multihull for the experience

Exactly same situation on my end: experienced with hobbycats (and lasers), 50’, wife…
And too, we’d like to try out with someone, and can’t find classes other that the $5,000/week ASA course.
Located in MIlwaukee
Xavierp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:01   #3

Offshore Sailing and I am sure others do a "Big Boat Refresher", one of the options is for Catamarans for mono hull sailor converts. If I remember the details correctly its a stay ashore 3 day class.
sw34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 04:06   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 32 Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjon View Post
Hello all!
My wife and I have owned and chartered monohulls many times, and now we are getting into our 50's, I've always eyed the multihulls out there with interest. Besides Hobi cats, we've never sailed on multihull and we've been asking around at some marinas for any programs where they schedule outings, but other than chartering one I havent found any. I dont want to charter one by ourselves as we would rather enjoy the company of others also perhaps split the cost. The other option I was throwing out there was if anyone is looking for a fun couple to join them for a short daysail we would happily bring provisions, some awesome wine, and just talk a bit on the experience and benefits of a multihull. We currently live just outside Raleigh NC and visit the cost often- Especially Oriental and Wilmington!
If interested let me know how to get in touch and we can plan something- Hope this is the right forum for this as well. Thanks and hope to hear from anyone interested!

Jon R
Clayton, NC
I’d be more specific about what type and size of multihull you are interested in. Catamarans and trimarans are two different boats in terms of handling, performance, accommodation, and cost.

Modern tri’s typically offer significantly more performance and IMO a nicer motion through a sea state than a similarly sized catamaran. They also are easier to handle under sail. What you give up is space and accomodation but for 1-2 couples, manufacturers like Corsair, Dragonfly, and Neel offer clever solutions in the 32’-40’ range (not sure how big you are looking to go). My wife and I are very happy with our Dragonfly 32 for coastal cruising and the boat will work well for us for shorter open ocean passages (400-600 mile distances).

Catamarans offer more space and creature comforts but you lose performance and under sail they can feel sluggy handling wise compared to a trimaran. Handling under power is pretty nice since you typically have twin engines. We have chartered Privilege, Maine Cat, and Leopard catamarans in the BVI, Abacos, and Grenada and found all to be nice sailing boats. If I really wanted to buy a catamaran I would consider all three and include Katana and Outremer as options.

Good Luck!
DragonflyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 06:47   #5

Option 1 - There is a YouTube Channel called Sailing Sisu that have a Leopard 45 and I think they have a sort of training program they offer. Super nice couple from South Africa, that would be a blast as they are a lot of fun and about the same age. La Vagabond also has their old Outremer 45 in charter if you'd like a more performance oriented experience.

Option 2 - Book by the cabin, there are charters out there that offer exactly what you are looking for. Call Dream Yacht or Sunsail problem solved and you'll get to experience everything and learn from the crew in a fantastic location you choose.

Option 3 - Go on one of the many crew finder websites or blogs

Option 4- Boat shows, Annapolis in October or Miami in February get in contact with a few companies and arrange test sails of the various cats that are of interest to you.

Option 5 - Just call the manufacturers directly and ask for a test sail. They always have events going on/people going out.

It is actually pretty easy and inexpensive to accomplish some time on the water and get a feel for catamaran sailing. Like others have said though, you'll be disappointed by the "feel" of sailing a cat unless you go down the performance route when compared to monohulls. But you won't miss being heeled over at 15 degrees for days on end and having to hold onto everything all the time.

Good luck!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, hull, multihull, sail