Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2011, 21:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393
Here We Go

We have a sort of plan taking shape. 1st we are getting SCUBA certified in July. (can do that localy so that helps since we are land locked) Mid July driving 20 some hours to Clearwater Florida to scope out the area to see if it is to our liking for a part time homestead. We will also look at some marinas at that time to get a better idea of the daily view. This will help us decide if we want to be liveaboards or have a house with a slip while we get ready for a few years at sea. (with random stops home to see the grandkids). If we get a house the kids will "rent" it from us while we are gone and have a room for us when we return. untill that we will have a leasing company rent it out for us while we button things up here. Next summer we will spend 2 weeks in Belize for our 25th anniversary and when we come back home to Oklahoma we will start the chore of ridding ourselfs of the 25+ years of collections we have gathered. Retire a year after that and off to Florida to start that chapter.

So now is the time to blast me with suggestions or comments or what ever your fancy.
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 07:58   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Here we go

I would look further south than Clearwater, a whole lot cheaper, closer to drop down to the Keys, etc.

GOOD LUCK
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 09:40   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

like he said: no reefs or diving in clearwater area .. just sand and traffic and heat. but i guess that is where your kids live? good luck with your downsizing .. it can be traumatic
Old 28-06-2011, 16:05   #4

How much further south? The kids are also going to be moving so its kind of like where we go, they will follow. We have been spending as much time as we can in the RV trying to get used to smaller living space. So far so good but still leaning on the ever so close wal-marts for the things I may have foprgotten to restock and such......That is going to be my biggest problem I think.

what area do you suggest?
Old 13-08-2011, 22:59   #5

one more step in the right direction. Scuba cert in hand and starting to do the inventory in the house. Dang if I dont keep everything.........i mean everything. I need to break that habbit soon since I am sure it will alter the boyancy of the boat if I don't. I am now fighting th impulse to book a trip to belize for our anniversary to go scuba diving..........wait until you get the boat and then go to belize as often as you want, right?