Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2017, 08:28   #1

Help with new boat spec.

Getting new lagoon 450 and finalizing spec. New to sailing but will be getting lots of real world experiance crewing prior to mine being ready. Don't want to under spec boat based on my inexperiance and be frustrated with missing sail or rigging options when she arrives. Can anyone help me navigate this and ensure I get a boat that I will love sailing. We plan to do a combination of warm water sailing and at least an annual atlantic crossing to the Azores to see family. Thank you.
TXnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 20:34   #2

Re: Help with new boat spec.

As usual, depends on your budget. However things to consider.

1. Downwind sails. Get a gennaker for reaching, and a parachute type for more downwind, some swear by the parasailor but they are expensive.
2. If you are young and fit, you may not need electric winches, but they are a blessing to those of us a bit arthritic. Priority in order would be, Halyards, Jib Furler/Main, Dinghy Davits if a big dinghy, genoa winches.
3. Solar Panels say 1000 watts in total
4. Think about Lithium vs GEL/AGM batteries, more efficient but pricey.
5. Water Maker 50 to 100 liters per hour depending if you want a clothes washer
6. Generator -depending on your solar set up and if you want airconditioning
7. Choose 120 V or 240 volt set up. If possible have AC motors that can run on both 50Hz or 60 Hz because you can transform the 120/240 in most regions with a transformer. A 120 V set up will have thicker wires and be able to handle 240V for same wattage.
8. Anchor, standard is 25 Kg Delta, would suggest a 40 Kg Rocna/Manson/Mantus etc.
9 Consider need for a full freezer, will impact on electricity requirement
10. Dinghy - if you are anchored way out then anything 3m in length with less than 10Hp will be tedious with a load on board(15HP + would be better)
11 Safety: EPIRB/Drogue/Liferaft/ MOB devices, Spare Floating VHF with DSC, auto bilge pumps, gas detector, CO detector, harnesses and safety lines, flares etc. AIS transceiver, Binoculars.
13 Communications, Satellite Phone preferably or SSB radio.
14 Usual Electronics but carry a spare GPS or Ipad with Navionics or similar
14. Sail Repair patches, bungs, manual bilge pumps, spare 12mm poly rope say 100m. Sail repair needles and thread.
15. Spares for common failures, fuel filters, impellers. Joker valves. Prop anodes
16 Ocean navigators medical kit
17 Mask and fins, dive knife for freeing prop wraps
18 Hacksaw, Hammer, Vice Grips (2 sizes), Pry Bar, plus a normal socket set with metric and SAE, hex keys, rechargeable drill. Multi-meter.
19 Bimini and front screen, plus side screens if in cold weather
20 Folding Propellers eg Flexofold - can add a knot to your speed
21 High quality bottom paint, + maybe an epoxy undercoat coat if not already done.

That's off the top of my head and by no means exhaustive and not all of this imperative, just choices, I am sure you will get plenty more responses.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 23:07   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450F 3 Cabin

BeanCounter hit some biggies for the kit. For the spec I would specify (commenting on his good start). I too have my sights on the L450 and have done the research/reaching out/factory tour. The priority on the factory tour was to asses which options MUST be factory and which could/should be aftermarket. I was there this year(2017).

1. (Downwind sails) Get the spinnaker kit from Lagoon, not the sails. Don't buy what your not sure what style you'll want yet.
2. (Power winches) This item is a MUST factory install if you are considering. The aftermarket install requires structural altering since the motors are installed before join the two molds (deck/hull). I am doing them for safety with kids aboard. With the new high aspect ratio man's like the 40, 50, 52 I would not necessarily since they have a self tacking jib...the 450 does not (or if your shoulders don't want surgery right away
3. (Solar Panels) Yes. Aftermarket. Rigid Kyocera (check out 'Off the Starboard Hull YouTube blog)
4. (Batteries). Doesn't matter much. If you live aboard you will need to start out with whatever and your learning curve will destroy these batteries. Then you'll bite the bullet and go Lithium. DON'T go lithium until you destroy your stock batteries and learn your energy draw and elec. syst!
5. (Water maker). Aftermarket. Better/cheaper systems available.
6. (Generator) This is a big one! AFTERMARKET w/ factory 'Generator Ready' option. Even if you get A/C most owners don't run it at anchor, only on shore power (it's suprisingly cooler on the water and diesel is a pain) You MUST get this genny-prep option before the molds are joined. It will have the genny platform, electrical run from the panal, and genny breakers waiting for your future unit. Most find a 4-6.5kw diesel genny a nice size (northern lights is great) You can also choose an aftermarket 'hybrid' inverter that would let you run off combined gennerator/solar power for larger draws if need be.
7. (Voltage) get the voltage depending on where you might likely sell the boat.
8. (Anchor) Take what they give, then trade it for a credit towards a big Rocna aftermarket. A backup should be a lighter foldable that you can deploy from a dinghy, not a larger primary.
9 (refridgeration) depends on aboard status. Cruising?, then lots...
10. (Dinghy) Afternarket. Hyfield is a great dinghy, but you want a Yamaha 20, not the Honda. More reliable and MORE service technicians worldwide. Get a second smaller outboard (9ish H.P.) for beaching difficult shores and a spare when your primary needs service.
11 (safety) Ya...good luck. I like superglue and sober sailing. Reef early and often!
13. (Radio) have mutiple and a cheap handheld Garmin black/white GPS ($100) Great for finding your boat after dark and a few drinks (remember the sober dilemma Don't overwhelm yourself with too many new gadgets at a time. Electronics are expensive and Very perishable. When you start going out further/longer buy the big stuff.
14. (Sail Repair) start with some dacron/sail duck tape
15. (Spares)...growing pains...fuel filters!
16 (medical kit) are you or your passengers older than 65?...AED for heart attacks, EPI pen for reactions and asthma, Coban self-adhesive waterproof gauze and superglue!
17 Mask and fins, dive knife for freeing prop wraps (yup)
18 (tools)...good luck...
19 (enclosures) factory or aftermarket
20 (Folding Propellers) Yes, factory. Also upgraded engines. The 40&57hp are the same engine with different tuning. The higher output allows you to run a single engine in calm conditions to alternate engines.
21 (Bottom paint) Factory.

Cockpit cushions are the hard one for me. I holding off and getting individual seat cushions for 1/100th the price and vinyl bean bags and hammocks for lounging.

The downside to aftermarket is you can't easily add it to the financed amount. Even the stripped boat is a dream to sail and if I didn't have the kids my wife and I would live aboard comfortable with 50k in options.

I think you need the 'comfort package' just to get the salt water foot pump in the galley...that's a no can do easily aftermarket.

I plan on using a portable 2000w genny and upgraded alternators until I get the solar installed (~1700 watts). And have a good system to take the panels off and disconnect the wiring if you need for hurricane prep.

Binge read Emerald Sea's Sailing blog to put your mind at ease.

Good luck!
Cruising4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 14:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnewbie View Post
Getting new lagoon 450 and finalizing spec. New to sailing but will be getting lots of real world experiance crewing prior to mine being ready. Don't want to under spec boat based on my inexperiance and be frustrated with missing sail or rigging options when she arrives. Can anyone help me navigate this and ensure I get a boat that I will love sailing. We plan to do a combination of warm water sailing and at least an annual atlantic crossing to the Azores to see family. Thank you.
Hi Txnewbie
I assume you have read all the Info on L450 contained in the Lagoon section of fleet on here, if not. Click this LINK sorted to just show L450 topics there is more than enough information in there to make some very informed decisions.

My pet soap box is do not scrimp on power generation. Be it solar, generator, batteries or inverter / charger. Power = comfort, convenience and a happy crew.

Solar 2kW is good (3kW would be perfect) after market

Generator OEM supplied and installed 7-11 kW gives best bang for your buck.

Batteries. as has been said most first sets get eaten early, why, not enough capacity, not enough charging capability and to much current draw for there size. Current set of Asian produced AGM's cost $2,800 AUD for 1400 amp/hr 14 months in and still good after market.

Inverter / charger 5kW output with a 200 amp charger, leave OEM chargers as backup/boost after market.

It's benefits can be as simple as the ability to duck down bellow, just turn on the electric jug to boil water and put some bread in the toaster at 0400 dark on a passage. Without having to deal with gas stove top etc.

Not being constantly on the crews back about using power or turning off the lights etc.

At anchor for days at a time and not running the generator or engines to make hot water for a shower.

Being able to run a big water maker from inverter or generator and make 160 - 240 lt/hour of freshwater.

Can you live on 32.5 amp/hr per day, of course lots do it. The question you need to ask is do I want to.

Only you can decide where best to spend your available funds, remember you rely can live without the premium fabric option and front deck cushions. The power to run an extra freezer full of food and ice will be a lot more useful.

Good luck with you future plans you will have a ball.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 16:12   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

TXNewbie - I went through this process about 16 months ago when I ordered my L450, which was delivered this January. I'd be happy to review the option list with you and discuss the choices I made, and why. Of course, your needs may be entirely different than mine, so YMMV.

If you're interested, PM me and we can arrange a time to talk. Either way, good luck with your 450. I'm biased of course, but I like mine even more than I thought I would.

-D
D-Vector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat