Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2019, 08:40   #31

Re: Help selling the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportGuy View Post
The BVI charter suggestions are your best first step. Good luck with your marketing campaign!
Yes this step first as everyone will be sold. Next step is sail with other folks on their boats. Now in our 50s we learned to sail in our twenties with people in their fifties who had sailed for many years. Some are now gone but their kind words and lessons we use every sail/day.

Next step buy a small boat with lots of strings sail it together fall in the water - laugh.

If you get to the previous step your sales job is complete.

Really - you will never regret going sailing once or for a lifetime.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 02:03   #32

There is some really great advice here but I was surprised to not see the single greatest resource ever written for your (and many others of us) exact situation. It is a book written by Nick O Kelley Get Her On Board - Secrets to Sharing the Cruising Dream

Here it is on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Get-Her-Board...=beauty&sr=8-2

Nick's insight into this subject was very helpful and may very well change your life and put you on a path to living aboard.
I would consider it "essential" reading for anyone in your position. It really helped me modify my approach, and my own mindset, from "talking her into it" to "getting her onboard".
We attended Annapolis this last fall and my entire Family has a renewed excitement for moving aboard.
LA
AkLance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 08:06   #33

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
You know, I wanted to attack this for being an overt generalization and subtly sexist, but in the end it matches almost exactly with my experience. Except maybe Point 6—I never let my ego get in the way of my fear about damaging the boat...
Maybe a lot of the sexism can be removed simply by changing "woman" into "less experienced spouse introduced to and asked to tag along with more experienced [and obsessed] spouse's dreams".
Old 23-11-2019, 08:13   #34

Boat: Hanse 531

Seasickness is terrible, by the way. When trying to introduce sailing to my spouse I was really worried that seasickness would turn everything into a disaster.

I tried to lessen the chances of this by:

1) Medicinal aids (in the end, they didn't work)
2) Making the first trip long enough (not just a day trip but several days) to give the potential seasickness a chance to fade away (in the end, that was what happened)

We went, she got ill the first day (with vomiting and the lot), but from the second day forward everything was ok. Now we've learned that the first day is difficult for her, every time, but it goes away.
Old 23-11-2019, 09:20   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkLance View Post
There is some really great advice here but I was surprised to not see the single greatest resource ever written for your (and many others of us) exact situation. It is a book written by Nick O Kelley Get Her On Board - Secrets to Sharing the Cruising Dream

Here it is on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Get-Her-Board...=beauty&sr=8-2

Nick's insight into this subject was very helpful and may very well change your life and put you on a path to living aboard.
I would consider it "essential" reading for anyone in your position. It really helped me modify my approach, and my own mindset, from "talking her into it" to "getting her onboard".
We attended Annapolis this last fall and my entire Family has a renewed excitement for moving aboard.
LA

Thank you !!! great suggestion ! was not aware there *books* on this subject !Really appreciate it !
tzukulika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 09:22   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Seasickness is terrible, by the way. When trying to introduce sailing to my spouse I was really worried that seasickness would turn everything into a disaster.

I tried to lessen the chances of this by:

1) Medicinal aids (in the end, they didn't work)
2) Making the first trip long enough (not just a day trip but several days) to give the potential seasickness a chance to fade away (in the end, that was what happened)

We went, she got ill the first day (with vomiting and the lot), but from the second day forward everything was ok. Now we've learned that the first day is difficult for her, every time, but it goes away.

I'm afraid that seasickness will affect *me* more than my wife. That would be ironic and in line with expectations :-). Will look into medication.
Thank you !
tzukulika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 19:32   #37

I'll probably be thrown off the forum for this but why don't you put on some big boy pants and tell her how the cow eats the cabbage?
donahue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 21:20   #38

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by donahue62 View Post
I'll probably be thrown off the forum for this but why don't you put on some big boy pants and tell her how the cow eats the cabbage?
...& while you are at it: learn singlehanding!
Old 29-11-2019, 08:48   #39

Boat: Albin Vega 27

For me, there was no chance of equal enthusiasm, so I bought a much smaller and more spartan boat, then sailed everywhere solo or with friends, with wife and kids travelling to meet up when and if they wanted.

Fantastic way to go about it. Biggest voyage (so far) has been BC to Hawaii and back. Family flew to Hawaii for a month-long vacation.

I'd suggest not trying too hard for buy-in. It might come with resentment. Get something small that works for you.
Flagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 08:53   #40

Boat: Albin Vega 27

To the poster who recommended never scaring her: Yes, because women are like horses. Once scared, they will conflate sailing with danger and will never again try it [eye roll]
Flagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 09:02   #41

Let me repeat the advice a few have given you, and pretend this is written in bold-face caps: learn to sail first!

I started in my late 20s, having read all sorts of things, by joining my college's sailing club and taking lessons there. I worked my way up through several types and sizes of boats, starting with an MIT dinghy & ending in an M-20, racing regularly to refine skills. Read about single-handing & the race across the Atlantic and decided to do that ... but needed to learn first, so I hitch-hiked my way through the Southern Ocean Racing Circuit to learn to sail big boats in big water.

Note the key word throughout: LEARNED.

Now I am 79, have raced in each of the Great Lakes, the Atlantic, Caribbean, South China Sea, and have cruised the Med, the Aegean, the Caribbean, the Atlantic, the Pacific ... and I still do not own a boat. In fact, having seen what it takes to own and to maintain boats in the hostile environments of sun and salt water, I will never own one ... but the skills I have built over all these years get me invited to help others to sail their boats.

So get yourself a little boat. Learn how to sail it. Scare yourself a few times in heavy air and biggish waves. Find out what it is REALLY like. Then formulate your plans on the basis of knowledge. If you get yourself a nice boat and need help moving it from A to B? Give me a call. I'll be glad to help.
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 10:29   #42

Boat: C Dory 25 foot semi dory pilot house power boat

Communication

To attempt to answer your question, I went to my highest authority: my wife, Marie, who had zero sailing experience 43 years ago, and now has over 100,000 blue water miles "under the keel". Here are her comments:

Does your wife swim? Does she love being on the water, or at the water's shore? Is she adventuresome?

Why is your wife not enthusiast about a boating retirement? You have to have this very basic communication with your wife to be successful.

If the answer is "No" to these you are going to have an up hill battle and the chances for success are not necessarily good.

If the answer is "yes", Then your chances are far better.

We used to give lectures on both our adventures, and getting into boating/cruising--my wife's comments were more important than mine, despite my having much more experience. We followed many cruisers for years, and determined what worked, and what didn't.

Find books to read and videos to watch for her--stressing the woman's role in sailing/cruising.

What are her fears? Loss of her home, being out of touch with children and friends? Discomforts? Pirates? Foreign travel? Meeting people? Being away from accustomed activities? Concern for parents? Phobias? Fear of something happening to the skipper, and she left to handle the boat?

Our philosophy is that the partner (Admiral) has to become skilled in boat maintenance, handling, navigation, first aid, crisis management.

First step is both taking one of the Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary courses. Do not be "overbearing", or "knowing" (For example, I took a basic course with my wife early in her sailing career. I didn't try and show that I knew anything about the material--and only gave suggestions when asked. Even then, I asked questions back, to lead her to her own conclusions--right or wrong.)

Make friends who people who have boats. This may come from the boating classes, or from hanging out at--or joining a yacht club or organizations (such as sailing club, boat sharing club etc) Get your wife out on the water with a competent skipper, who does not get upset or yell!. Get her out in the water.

As you both read books about sailing, or watch videos, discuss them, and find out what are her concerns, based on that subject matter.

In our case, we first converted a 16 passenger commuter van/bus, into a small RV. This allowed Marie to have input as to what was important in a "magic carpet" we would travel in. It also introduced her to tools, and techniques: wood working, fiberglass, painting, plumbing and electrical (12 V DC and 110V AC), flooring, bedding etc. With the knowledge that we were going to shortly transfer these skills to boat building. A year later we acquired a 38 foot sailboat mold (Bankruptcy auction) with a lot of building materials. We laid down a 2 year plan, both of us building this boat after our professional jobs, to complete this boat. We then took a 4 month sabbatical from our jobs to see how she liked the life. As it turned out, when we got as far North as Cape Mendocino, CA. from Long Beach, CA. she proclaimed: "Buy me a pilot house boat, and take me where it is warmer---I will go anywhere warmer".

We found a good deal on an almost new 62' LOA Ketch, and were able to buy it, with the sale proceeds from our home, and the profit from the boat we had built. We had saved enough for at least years cruising, without touching any savings or retirement funds. We worked side by side modifying and upgrading that vessel.

This path is not for everyone--and I had taught Marie how to sail, along the way in smaller boats, including getting her racing in Sabots, and crewing in near shore and coastal races. However by the time we started our first 4 year voyage, she could handle all maintenance chores and repairs, plus had become a skilled sailor.

Go slow, be very aware of signs of discomfort--both physical and mental, in your partner. Stop, when you see these, and talk them over. Either cruising will strengthen your marriage, or it can destroy it. We followed over a dozen boats we had become very close to, who had survived the 1982 Cabo Storm and had goals of a long cruise, as we did. Only 3 of us made our goals--sort of. One finished over 8 years later in a different boat--after they lost the first one on a reef in the S. Pacific. The other also lost her boat, but bought another, and continued to cruise--until an incident off Baja years later spooked her out of continuing sailing. The other boats either got thru the Panama canal and thus to the Gulf/Atlantic, and sailed to USA--selling the boats, and in a couple of cases a divorce, or selling the boats at some down wind port in the S. Pacific.

You live in some of the best boating waters in the entire World. (We spent 4 years sailing out of Sequim and going up and down the Inside Passage for 4 seasons--April the Oct.). It can be rough, foggy and cold, or its can be fantastic. Not always ideal sailing conditions, but pick the good days. Probably a club will be good at first. It does not have to be in cats.

You do need to take an excursion to a high profile boating market--such as S. Florida where there are many cats for sale, if that becomes your ideal boat. Buy that boat at the very least a year before the target leaving date is. Sail it, and made the modifications (water maker, generator, battery monitoring system, autopilots, modern electronics etc). Figure out the amount you can afford for the boat--(I figure 25% over the purchase price at least) Have a cruising budget. Be sure your wife is fully involved in all of these processes.

Mal de Mar. I am a retired MD who worked with many long distance sailors for a long time. My suggestions are: eat lightly the day before sailing, sleep well, and take a Bonine (Meclizine HCL) at bed time. Also first thing in the AM (be sure it does not make you too drowsy) No alcohol 24 hours before sailing. At the first time any motion sickness appears; a Bonine chewable under the tongue. I like to take the helm, or be busy sailing the boat. Keep eyes fixed on horizon. Stay on deck if possible. There are many stronger remedies, but this works for many folks. If not--send me a PM, and I will suggest more.

I also find that the motion of the vessel is instrumental in sea sickness. For me it is a rapid snap roll. For others it is a slow roll. Fumes, food smells, and other sick often make sea sickness worse.

Good luck and pass your experience along to all of us, so we can also learn from your experiences; good or bad.
thataway41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 11:45   #43

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzukulika View Post
Thank you all so far for your suggestions.
Tzukulika, You have had some good suggestions here, and, in my opinion some very bad suggestions.

thataway41's was great, the whole post, not just this quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway41 View Post
Communication

To attempt to answer your question, I went to my highest authority: my wife, Marie, who had zero sailing experience 43 years ago, and now has over 100,000 blue water miles "under the keel". Here are her comments:

Does your wife swim? Does she love being on the water, or at the water's shore? Is she adventuresome?

Why is your wife not enthusiast about a boating retirement? You have to have this very basic communication with your wife to be successful.

If the answer is "No" to these you are going to have an up hill battle and the chances for success are not necessarily good.
Notice the last sentence: If..."No"...chances for success are not necessarily good.

For me our marriage was of primary importance. I am not interested in following my own dream if it is not hers too. If your wife does not enthusiastically take up that dream, I think it's time to find another dream which you both can share.

Obviously from several of the comments on this thread we can see that there are some men who don't agree, who want to give their wives ultimatums or just do their own thing. In fact I find some of these comments offensive. (look for terms like, "the wife" "Cow" and "women this and women that...")

I can't believe that these men can have the loving, rewarding, and sharing marriage which I have with attitudes like that. Maybe they don't want that and don't care.

If you pursue your sailing dream by single handing then the two of you will probably grow further apart. Maybe that doesn't matter.

But that being said, there are many happy marriages where each party wants their spouse to "follow the dream" even if it means more apartness. Don't rule it out, but be careful.

Your choice
Old 29-11-2019, 12:15   #44

Boat: Bowman 57 Ketch : Searcher

Go sailing on other people’s boats to learn which boat is for you. Learn from experienced owners and skippers. Join OPO, Offshore Passage Opportunities which is a crew network. Check out SailOPO.com
DHLyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 14:23   #45

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

30 years ago my sailor husband at the time had to convince me that sailing was fun. I was scared shitless when the boat heeled. Still dont like it, and its not necessary. Never ever ever heel when someone is scared of sailing.
Dont even put the sails up on calm days...just enjoy being on the water.
I then read about cruising, not sailing and how it was an lifestyle. He sold the idea of sailing to me, as a way of traveling. The boat just got us to the next place, and we could sleep on it! Cool!
We did the BVIs, twice. Now I liked sailing.
30 years later he is gone, and I have a New partner and just bought my first boat as a single woman.
Learning as I go.
I still dont like heeling, but I love cruising and sailing and the lifestyle it affords me.
Start slow.
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote