Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2021, 15:49   #31

Re: Help Please --- First Time $1M+ Purchase

Helluva first time post.... The OP has not been back to the forum since post #10 at 9am so I think he is done.

On a much smaller scale, someone posted about buying their first boat, a Rinker express cruiser with 2x 350hp engines listed at about $90k. After being asked if they understood the fuel consumption (28gal/hr - 6 hour endurance - $380 cost to fill up with relatively cheap US regular gasoline) they were also never heard from again. This was a "mere" 35 footer...
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 16:46   #32

Boat: 45f5

Skills and knowledge - if you havent acquired it, then you will have to hire it. Either way, it is a must do.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 16:58   #33

OP is pretty quiet. I'll offer a slight riff on the tune. Having a fancy boat looks nice in the cartoons, but can be a boat anchor in actually enjoying life cruising. Nice dinghy means it's heavy and can't be dragged ashore. Constant worry about get ripped off. Bar tabs you pickup. Tips to dole out. You get the idea. Think hard about whether this is the idyllic lifestyle it appears on the back cover of magazines.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 17:05   #34

Efficient trawlers such as the 71' Ellemaid have been offered for sale at $400k in recent times. Ellemaid71

One will have no problem circumnavigating on such a boat and could learn to handle it in less time than a "proper" sailing cat.

Take some of the money saved and self insure, hire a skipper for as long as needed. Its only money...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ellemaid 71.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	232211  
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 17:10   #35

Boat: Southerly 57

I’m giving the guy a break, we don’t know for sure why he’s asking, but...That size boat usually has a professional crew. Budget at least $200k per year for crew and maintenance. That might be helpful in your thought process. Cheers
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 18:58   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Historically 1M stands for one thousand, dollars, pounds, pesos or whatever. 1MM stands for one million. It's Latin and was in use for a thousand years until the really woke designation of "K" was dreamed up for everything a few years ago. "K" is the proper metric designator for weights and measures not money.
One thousand dollars...then I guess he is getting a great buy for a 62foot boat!!!!

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 19:11   #37

Interesting topic.... this weekend I was at Prisoners Anchorage, Santa Cruz Island in the Channel Islands, So Cal when a spaken new Hylas 57 showed up WHAT AT BEAUTY.
They hesitated were to anchor, At first it looked like they were going to anchor in 75ft of water far away. Finally, they decided to get closer to shore. Looked like a family of four. Once anchored, they all went inside....turned the lights on outside included beautiful underwater blue lights...and never to be seeing again. They had beautiful hydraulic davits..but no dinghy. .. no kayaks.
For me ..it is about doing the bbq, watching the seals/sea lions, the sunset and going on shore for a hike. These folks just stayed inside their boat. I got the impression they just had lots of money (good bless them..no envy here) and felt more like they were more interested in using their 2 million dollar yacht as a ocean beach house and not much interested in enjoying everything nature and the outdoors had to offer. I bet they even had an auto button to do the anchoring for them just like a self parking car.
Never saw them again....they were all inside their yachts.
I will bet they were first time sailors in their first boat.

To each their own....just an observation...

Abe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hylas-57 - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	143
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	232217  
Old 09-02-2021, 19:16   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForster123 View Post
Hi all, your assistance would be most appreciated...
We have decided and at long last in a position to sell up and sail off full time and are considering our first Catamaran and have found the boat of our dreams a Sunreef 62 30 months old one owner and out in Tahiti. We are in the UK during lockdown and are needing help with relevant info we should be considering with the broker.
Yes novice sailors, just a formality we know, first boat ownership lol.
We would like your kind assistance in the sort of questions and information we should be asking prior to undertaking expense in surveying.
Our general considerations have been around taxes and country registration, mooring, maintenance, warranty issues, ongoing ownership costs.
The list is endless however you don't know what you don't know so any help you kind people can offer will be much appreciated.
We are planning on circumnavigating full time over the next decade and are looking to be out on the water in the next 4-6 months subject to this Covid fiasco.
Kind regards, family of 4 in cold dark Yorkshire...soon to be in warmer waters.
Stop wasting your time. This poster is full of BS. So is the post.

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 21:09   #39

Boat: 380 Lagoon Cat

Paulforster ; My first sailboat was a 380 Lagoon ,no sailing experience , here we are a few years later , I have been to 16 caribbean islands and can sail anywhere , If I had planned better I would have bought bigger , I had a captian / buddy for the first few days , then he refused to leave port , my girlfriend and I struck out on our own , I had a good repair background , as something always seems to break . It is hard to find a travel lift big enough for a 62' , when you need real repairs , but it can be done . I'll give you all the info I have , email me , lmtrust at hotmail dot com There are many things to talk about

Clarence
clarenceodonnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:57   #40

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Stop wasting your time. This poster is full of BS. So is the post.

Sam
That's what I was thinking... he's either crazy, a troll, or watched too many episodes of "The Wynn's" on YouTube.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:38   #41

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
That's what I was thinking... he's either crazy, a troll, or watched too many episodes of "The Wynn's" on YouTube.

I had a few to many beers yesterday, but I still think someone is playing around.

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:52   #42

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Now that you mention it, I too believe it's just a troll.

I think it's time for the mod to close and destroy this thread, unless Paul Forrester wants to continue on.........
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:18   #43

Good on you. That's a massive change to your life. As people have mentioned it's quite a large boat. Putting aside the boat and purchase. My advice would be to search find a suitable captain to accompany you for a period until you are ready to take over. Mechanical fixer as there will be alot of systems on board that may need attention or preventive. For the million spend the cost of a good captain is a good as insurance.
Hendrik fiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 13:18   #44

Now there is a first post about buying a 46ft catamaran in Tahiti. Maybe it is the same person scaling down their expectations. There must be a lot of cats for sale in Tahiti. Just saying, not sure if related.

Abe
Old 10-02-2021, 13:23   #45

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
Efficient trawlers such as the 71' Ellemaid have been offered for sale at $400k in recent times. Ellemaid71

One will have no problem circumnavigating on such a boat and could learn to handle it in less time than a "proper" sailing cat.

Take some of the money saved and self insure, hire a skipper for as long as needed. Its only money...

Called Hooligan now and $270k

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...er-71-2455144/

$245k here
https://www.dreamnautical.com/BOATS/BUEHLER-71

Not the best choice in engine IMHO
6.7 litre iveco N67 giving 150hp @ 2800rpm in steel could get a bit noisy

10.45 litre 6lxb Gardner giving 127hp @ 1500rpm would be far more pleasant to listen to.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, purchase