Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2017, 23:13   #31

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: Help me make a weight budget for a trimaran

Sounds fun Phil. Fair too. I'm in. I might point out that the Voyagers and Wanderers are cruising Nicols. Still I'm not flying a flag, just barnstorming an old bird that fit the mission. The point I'm trying to make is I think many of the sailors starting out over think the ideal instead of working out a deal and getting going but I suspect you'd agree. And I'm with Newick on the Twiggy. He always maintained they were a bad idea by Lock trying to out do the Val. No wonder it was scary, lots of them have gone over.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 00:37   #32

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

I was probably the only guy who stopped to watch Renegade fanging around Pittwater about 15 years ago. She was really sweet to watch. We might have a bit more fun racing her and a modern cat (or cruising tri).

As to the Twiggy, I have a very soft spot for them but as the OP (and Lock said) cruising such a boat was a mistake when he designed such nice cruising tris too. But it was all I had. Hence my point about humans being flexible.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 08:30   #33

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Yes, one can make anything work, I thought we'd agree on that. I'd cruise a Twiggy too if that is what I had, carefully!

I hope Simon gets Renegade back together. That would be nice. Mine doesn't have the tall added cabin though so should have an edge. I'll start peering at charts to see what is 1/2 way for a exotic destination for a grudge match. Mind you if we do it it is a few years down the road as I have things going on shore I can't duck just yet.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 11:43   #34

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
Remember, I love tris, the OP was finding it hard to find what he wanted in tris. I was the same 20 years ago and found my perfect tri - in a cat. Maybe he will too.
i couldn't find any of the cats that you mentioned for sale on yachtworld

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 07:11   #35

i'm gonna bring back this old thread. No comments of reviving an old thread, i am the OP. i reread every post and wanna continue.

Well, i learned how to post charts and pics on another forum i am on so i will use my newfound knowledge here to post my updated spreadsheet. Owly has also been working with loading of multihulls to determine what are the limits of acceptability sizewise.

This spreadsheet has been updated because i think that 40ft is the limit for me and only included the CC44 as a comparison. i am considering a SR37 as well, so i added it to the mix. Yes, i would like to just buy a boat and go and yes, i mite be overthinking this, but the family situation is not rite for me to buy a boat just yet. That is next year. First we have to move next to the water - well 10 minutes away at least

Anybody know the payload of a SR37? No info on the Marples/Brown website.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 29-01-2019, 07:24   #36

And i have been having soooooooooo much fun posting pics n stuff to threads that i wanna share this as well. Someone mentioned to consider the Cross boats. i really like the short WIDE cockpits in Cross designs, and was serious about one last winter when the seller sold her in the Bahamas before i could even look at her.

Anyway, i forgot how i got this stuff but i have some of Cross's data for weight and length. i massaged the formula to make it easier to use. i know that i am on the right track because, according to Cross, as the weight determines the length of boat needed. Here is my Cross spreadsheet:

and the curve for payload and length from Cross:

All of which means that, for me, a 40ft tri is just fine, as someone said earlier in this thread, and a SR37 might be enuf as well. Good to know.

enjoy

jon

Tags
budget, trimaran