Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2021, 21:05   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49
Re: Hello From an old guy living and retired in S.E.Asia

With such cheap labor in SE Asia, I curious why you don't build a boat there, and not have to learn how to sail just to get her home?
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 08:03   #17

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
With such cheap labor in SE Asia, I curious why you don't build a boat there, and not have to learn how to sail just to get her home?

A lot of used boats in Asia as well. Phuket/Langkawi would be a great place to satart. You could work as planned, then just pick up a used boat in Asia, saving years of labor and thousands of dollars.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 08:55   #18

Sounds like a fun plan. But I think you need to ask yourself these questions first. As I understand it , you’ll go to the States , work to pay off debts and build the boat , then learn to sail it and return to SE Asia.

So here are the things I’d suggest you calculate.

1). From your anticipated annual earnings , subtract taxes, living expenses ,medical etc and let’s call that x.

2) You’ll be full time at work so that leaves you 16 hrs a week to work on the boat , 26 if you do 2 hrs a day after work. I’ll do the math here. 4000 hours to build the boat ,so between 3-4.8 yrs to build the boat.

3). These boats sell used over $100 000 so the question is ,how many years will it take to pay off your debt and earn the extra $100k ? That’s if you can build one for that price. Material costs are astronomical now. 100 /x = the number of years this will take you. How big a number can you live with ?

You’re 76 so you’re certainly old enough to make your own decisions here but you should definitely have a firm grasp on how long it’s going to take to earn the money needed and how long construction will take. You’re going to be really disappointed if you spend the last ten years of your life working for the man and end up selling a part built Wharram at 86 and go penniless into a home.

Make sure you enjoy your remaining years.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 13:36   #19

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

OP, just a hint, get 3 very cheap USB sticks to save all your created password in a single Microsoft Word file in encrypted form. 3, to make copies.

Even Microsoft themselves cannot open it (they claim).
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 23:09   #20

Boat: Motor Banka 98 feet
Smile Re: Hello From an old guy living and retired in S.E.Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighpilot View Post
Sounds like a fun plan. But I think you need to ask yourself these questions first. As I understand it , you’ll go to the States , work to pay off debts and build the boat , then learn to sail it and return to SE Asia.

So here are the things I’d suggest you calculate.

1). From your anticipated annual earnings , subtract taxes, living expenses ,medical etc and let’s call that x.

2) You’ll be full time at work so that leaves you 16 hrs a week to work on the boat , 26 if you do 2 hrs a day after work. I’ll do the math here. 4000 hours to build the boat ,so between 3-4.8 yrs to build the boat.

3). These boats sell used over $100 000 so the question is ,how many years will it take to pay off your debt and earn the extra $100k ? That’s if you can build one for that price. Material costs are astronomical now. 100 /x = the number of years this will take you. How big a number can you live with ?

You’re 76 so you’re certainly old enough to make your own decisions here but you should definitely have a firm grasp on how long it’s going to take to earn the money needed and how long construction will take. You’re going to be really disappointed if you spend the last ten years of your life working for the man and end up selling a part built Wharram at 86 and go penniless into a home.

Make sure you enjoy your remaining years.
Thank you for your well meant advice, but I have always danced to a different drummer than the rest of the world. My retirement covers my expenses just slower than I like. The job is extra money, I'm a Journeyman Millwright so wages are good and the work schedule is flexible depending where you decide to work. I drink and chew but those are my only bad habits. I don't watch TV and don't really care about watching sports. Remember, an Interest that develops into a plan. Will eventually be the goal that keeps a retired guy alive and healthy. Bottom line when I do check out I will be content to go knowing I did it my way. Call me crazy if you wish but I'm just me and not likely to change too much at this age. Oh and an old folks home is not an option I will do something fun until I just fall over, at that point it's moot.
Brauhma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 23:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstendenmark View Post
OP, just a hint, get 3 very cheap USB sticks to save all your created password in a single Microsoft Word file in encrypted form. 3, to make copies.

Even Microsoft themselves cannot open it (they claim).
Thank you that's good to know, but I don't really trust anything Microsoft says. I have been left in the dust on computer knowledge since I sold my internet cafe's. Now a 12 year old kid with a computer is light years ahead of me. That is the biggest reason I don't fool around with CRYPTO, or buy things online using a credit card. If I can't hold it in my hand then it's not a tangible item as far as I'm concerned. I know I'm a dinosaur in todays virtual world but I like it this way.
Old 19-11-2021, 23:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
Did that once and got boned through the drive through. If you build one here you better be there to supervise the crew. The other problem is finding good quality Marine Plywood. Since they outlawed "TUFPLY" there isn't much worth buying, even if you glass it. The way I tested for good plywood is cut a one foot square, then boil it and time how long it takes to delaminate. I had a piece of TUFPLY that went 50 hours and was still ok. I've had Santa Clara that lasted from 1 to 12 hours and the average being around 4 to 5 hours. The quality was not consistent, the only solution is to completely encase it in glass especially the ends. Plus you want to make sure you do the glass job perfect, I could take you around the PI and show you boats that are plywood/glass laminate that look great (sorta). But when you get really looking and digging you find the wood is shot but you still have a good looking shell with no structural integrity left. The first big water you get caught in she will break up. I've seen quite a few laying washed up on a beach in that condition. It will be twice as much or more to build one in Florida but at least I can buy good material and do most of the work myself. I've got friends there who will help when I need it, if I buy the grub and beer LOL.
Old 20-11-2021, 00:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
A lot of used boats in Asia as well. Phuket/Langkawi would be a great place to satart. You could work as planned, then just pick up a used boat in Asia, saving years of labor and thousands of dollars.
You're correct but you really need to do a complete survey and even then you can end up with a very expensive surprise. When I was a kid I used to help my foster Dad rebuild old boats it was a great experience. He did it as a labor of love I think. He would buy an old girl drag her home and we would rebuild it, then he would sell it and buy another one. His goal was to end up with a good fishing boat when he finally retired. Except he never retired, He and his twin Uncle Chet made it to 100 God Bless them.
Old 20-11-2021, 00:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Welcome to CF Braun..
What type of Wharram build are you considering, stich n glue or traditional.
I think I will go with marine plywood/glass laminate, It's a lot faster build than a planked and caulked hull. If you use quality wood and glass it will be lighter and just as strong. I'm looking forward to the day I start the project. Hopefully the world doesn't go to crap before then, I guess time will tell.
Old 20-11-2021, 02:26   #25

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

A few thoughts from someone who has done what you are looking to do.

Have you found a place to build it yet?

Not sure how long you’ve been gone but finding a place to build a catamaran in Florida will be a challenge. It’s crowded. It’s expensive. Unless you go up to the panhandle.

Then there are materials. Very expensive right now.

I’d look up some prices using the Wharram BOM/materials list and get a rough idea. Inflation is hitting hard and supply shortages are skyrocketing prices.

Are you good to be doing this at 86 still? Most of those I know who built boats this size (and worked to pay for it) took about a decade. Me too.

Did I read you plan to fund the build with YouTube earnings from your kids? That’s like saying you can retire easy because your kid will become a professional baseball player and buy you a house. Odds are definitely against you there. Do you have a backup plan on that part?

I do crazy thing all the time. Huge risk taker. Wouldn’t have it any other way. But there are some loopholes here to watch out for. As someone who has done what you’re trying to do, right down to the location, I can’t help but comment on them in the hopes I uncover some difficulties for you before you uncover them yourself mid build.

Oh yeah. One other detail. You have a family. Are they ready not to see you for several years? It’s quite a strain on a family building boats.

On the other side of things, I’m very interested in traveling to Southeast Asia. I hope I can pick your brain about that (in a private message) since you’ve done that and I haven’t.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 03:28   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTemp View Post
Where in the Philippines do you currently call home? I have lived there on and off for many years and plan to return sooner than later.

We will be sailing our 47 ft. Cat but I anticipate it taking 2 to 3 years to get home since we plan on visiting a number of locations along the way. I look forward to following your progress.
I'm currently in Cebu Minglanilla, was on Bantayan Island, and later Tabogon. I'm flying back to the states this month (November). If I had the time I would go with you just to learn to sail even buy my own food or chip into the grub kiddy. Once I get things back under control I will build a Wharram, I can't think of a better way to finish out the time I have left on this earth.
Old 20-11-2021, 03:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
A few thoughts from someone who has done what you are looking to do.

Have you found a place to build it yet?

Not sure how long you’ve been gone but finding a place to build a catamaran in Florida will be a challenge. It’s crowded. It’s expensive. Unless you go up to the panhandle.

Then there are materials. Very expensive right now.

I’d look up some prices using the Wharram BOM/materials list and get a rough idea. Inflation is hitting hard and supply shortages are skyrocketing prices.

Are you good to be doing this at 86 still? Most of those I know who built boats this size (and worked to pay for it) took about a decade. Me too.

Did I read you plan to fund the build with YouTube earnings from your kids? That’s like saying you can retire easy because your kid will become a professional baseball player and buy you a house. Odds are definitely against you there. Do you have a backup plan on that part?

I do crazy thing all the time. Huge risk taker. Wouldn’t have it any other way. But there are some loopholes here to watch out for. As someone who has done what you’re trying to do, right down to the location, I can’t help but comment on them in the hopes I uncover some difficulties for you before you uncover them yourself mid build.

Oh yeah. One other detail. You have a family. Are they ready not to see you for several years? It’s quite a strain on a family building boats.

On the other side of things, I’m very interested in traveling to Southeast Asia. I hope I can pick your brain about that (in a private message) since you’ve done that and I haven’t.
Thank you for the advice, in answer to my kids supporting the project from YT isn't in the equation, I'm not wired that way. Any money they make with their side projects is theirs. I've always told them it's my job to feed you not the other way around. I'm a lucky Man I have a beautiful wife and five gorgeous daughters. One girl has already graduated from college, two more are in college, and two in Jr High. They all hang in the top 1 to 3% of their class and have all won several academic and or beauty pageant awards. They are used to dad being gone a lot I spent 12 years in Iraq and Afghanistan until I retired. I've been home since 2015 but life's little ups and down are sending me back to work. So time will tell where it goes from here. Life isn't the proverbial bow of cherries; It's more like Jalapeños. What you over indulge in today may well burn your ass tomorrow. Word of caution, if you come over here and get married. DO NOT give your wife unfettered access to your bank account! Other than that it's as close to perfect as you will find around the world. One mans pie is another mans poison. Food for thought.
Old 20-11-2021, 09:50   #28

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

Sorry OP, you could just make a simple text file of your passwords.
And store it on a cheap micro storage card.
But that is an unprotected file.

If you keep the card in your underpants in a sealed mini plastic bag, it will be quite safe though...
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia