Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2015, 08:33   #1

Helia or Lipari

I am currently trying to decide between a Lipari 2012 or Helia 2013 for 6 monthly cruising stints around Caribbean and value comments, both Maestro versions. Both similarly equipped with a 30% difference in price - obviously 4' gives an exponentially bigger boat. Will usually only be lil ole me perhaps with friends occasionally and then with a one week rule.
Another question - can only use it between April - November and tips on where to be within that period. Never owed a multi before, never cruised Caribbean/Bahamas but have owned monos cruised Asia, Pacific
peter.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:54   #2

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Re: Helia or Lipari

My 2 cents worth? For the use that you are describing.. go for the lipari. all you are really losing is:

1. a settee in the master hull
2. about 4 feet of extra counter top space (Helia has a U-shaped galley as opposed to the L shape in the Lipari)

My husband and I aren't interested in the Lipari... but, we are interested in the NEW FP40 which is coming out... but we won't see that until Miami. Because there are 2 of us, and I like to cook, we will, more than likely, get the Helia....
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 16:57   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
My 2 cents worth? For the use that you are describing.. go for the lipari. all you are really losing is:

1. a settee in the master hull
2. about 4 feet of extra counter top space (Helia has a U-shaped galley as opposed to the L shape in the Lipari)

My husband and I aren't interested in the Lipari... but, we are interested in the NEW FP40 which is coming out... but we won't see that until Miami. Because there are 2 of us, and I like to cook, we will, more than likely, get the Helia....
I suspect you will find the amount of space in the Lipari and even more so the FP40 (actually more like 38) compared to the Helia is a lot more than just your two points above.

Apart from the extra room when you have guests on board, the extra length and beam equate to more sitting room in both the saloon and cockpit as well as greater storage for supplies and equipment when cruising for months on end.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 17:21   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.d.m View Post
-----
Another question - can only use it between April - November and tips on where to be within that period. -----
Most of hurricane season? Arizona sounds good lol.
South of the hurricane belt, or at least close to it so you can run if necessary.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:08   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I have both of them and sailed both. If yr concern is only the space, the extra money may not be worthed. However, 5 ft of difference (not 4 ft because Lipari is only 39 ft and not 41 as the name implies..) makes quite a bit difference when sailing; faster, safer, and more comfortable both at sea an anchor.

Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I have both of them and sailed both. If yr concern is only the space, the extra money may not be worthed. However, 5 ft of difference (not 4 ft because Lipari is only 39 ft and not 41 as the name implies..) makes quite a bit difference when sailing; faster, safer, and more comfortable both at sea an anchor.

Cheers
Yeloya
Wow... this is great info from someone who would know. I didn't realize that the Helia would be faster. I assumed, same manufacturer would perform about the same.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:22   #7

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Wow... this is great info from someone who would know. I didn't realize that the Helia would be faster. I assumed, same manufacturer would perform about the same.
All things being equal/proportional, longer waterline = greater speed.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:30   #8
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Scarlet, on a displacement hull or hulls (which these are, as neither boat will plane) the theoretical maximum hull speed in knots is the square root of the LWL X 1.33. Although I don't have the dimensions for either boat in front of me, if we assume the LWL on the Lipari is 36' and for the Helia, 41' (5 feet longer), then the max for the Lipari is 8 knots and for the Helia, 8.53 knots. Yes, boats can and often do exceed their hull speeds, but the amount of force required (either from the sails or engines) goes up dramatically once you reach hull speed.

In simple terms, even if all else is equal in terms of the designs of the two boats, the Helia, with its longer waterline, will be the faster boat.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:12   #9

HI Brad!! thanks for that great information! It seems like I am perpetually learning.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:58   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Scarlet, on a displacement hull or hulls (which these are, as neither boat will plane) the theoretical maximum hull speed in knots is the square root of the LWL X 1.33. Although I don't have the dimensions for either boat in front of me, if we assume the LWL on the Lipari is 36' and for the Helia, 41' (5 feet longer), then the max for the Lipari is 8 knots and for the Helia, 8.53 knots. Yes, boats can and often do exceed their hull speeds, but the amount of force required (either from the sails or engines) goes up dramatically once you reach hull speed.

In simple terms, even if all else is equal in terms of the designs of the two boats, the Helia, with its longer waterline, will be the faster boat.

Brad
Longer water line = faster boat is also valid for catamarans. Nevertheless, root of LW X 1,33 limit for monohulls is not valid for cats. That's another reason why cats are faster. If the length to hull beam ratio is greater than 8:1, they are not subject to hydrodinamic drag factor at all. I should add that this is still a debate and there are various formulas around but everyone agrees that the drag factor is much less in cats compared to monohulls and that the above mentioned formula for monohulls is not applicable to cats anyway.
I know this by experience as well, I have exceeded this speed limit several times even with charter cats..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lipari