Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 19:47   #1

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
Heavy tide swing, bridle coming backwards between the hulls.

I keep having this happen. We set the anchor and as soon as the tide switches the bridle goes backward between the hulls putting a lot if pressure on the bow spirit cables. There are other cats in inlet with us and I see them experiencing the same.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 20:56   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: Heavy tide swing, bridle coming backwards between the hulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
I keep having this happen. We set the anchor and as soon as the tide switches the bridle goes backward between the hulls putting a lot if pressure on the bow spirit cables. There are other cats in inlet with us and I see them experiencing the same.
Sometimes the best fix for this is to leave the rudders set a bit off center. That way the boat twists as the tide swings and turns so it doesn't straddle the bridle.

It doesn't ALWAYS work, but is has helped me a couple times when achored on a cat in a reversing current.

It can help sometimes also if the legs of the bridle aren't exactly the same length. Even a little bit of difference can force the boat to turn when the bridle is backward.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:10   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

If the slightly offset rudder doesn't work.

Tie a small strong bucket (the collapsible canvas ones work well) to one transom using a piece of rope short enough so that it wont interfere with the rudder. As the tide changes it will go under the transom and cause the boat to turn. It will then stream aft holding the boat in that direction for as long as possible until the tide turns again.

Put a sail tie on the wheel to remind you to remove it before setting off.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:46   #4

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Good ideas. i will be trying them today.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:49   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Imo, using a stern anchor in heavy tidal flow is always the best option. Other potential issues aside, you cannot guarantee that your anchor will do a 180o reset on every tide without fouling something.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:30   #6

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Imo, using a stern anchor in heavy tidal flow is always the best option. Other potential issues aside, you cannot guarantee
that your anchor will do a 180o reset on every tide without fouling something.
I know you refer to multihulls. To be clear, a stern anchor on a mono can be very bad business in a strong reverse current. If your anchor or the bottom is not good, then a Bahamian scheme could be better, if chain or a weighted rode is used for the nearest boat length of rode to keep it from fouling on the running gear. .In any case, do the same thing boats near you are doing.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
I know you refer to multihulls. To be clear, a stern anchor on a mono can be very bad business in a strong reverse current. If your anchor or the bottom is not good, then a Bahamian scheme could be better, if chain or a weighted rode is used for the nearest boat length of rode to keep it from fouling on the running gear. .In any case, do the same thing boats near you are doing.
I meant in general. I have anchored like that on Gran Bahamas Banks with no problems. But then I'm a freediver and always check my gear and the bottom. I am not 100% clear on why you think 2 point anchoring is is bad for monohulls in this situation.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:54   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
An anchor Sally might help?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:57   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

You can also deploy two anchors back to back and then tie on the kit half-way. In this scenario the boat will swing around sooner.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
An anchor Sally might help?
Cadance: I am unfamiliar with the term "anchor Sally" and have not been able to find a reference to such when Googling the internet. Could you please provide guidance as to such device so as to avail us of shared knowledge. Thank you.
All the best, Dan
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Cadance: I am unfamiliar with the term "anchor Sally" and have not been able to find a reference to such when Googling the internet. Could you please provide guidance as to such device so as to avail us of shared knowledge. Thank you.
All the best, Dan
It is a weight you lower down the anchor line. Intended to keep the rode from fowling on the keel. I had one on a tri with no keel. It helped with your type question, thus the?
Old 06-06-2020, 11:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It is a weight you lower down the anchor line. Intended to keep the rode from fowling on the keel. I had one on a tri with no keel. It helped with your type question, thus the?
I'm not sure that would help in OP's situation though. In their case it sounds like the conditions caused them to go forward directly over their tackle.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:02   #13

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi
By sally I think he may mean a kellet, or chum, or angel, or buddy, or sentinel pased down the rode controlled by a separate line.
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 13:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnn33 View Post
Hi
By sally I think he may mean a kellet, or chum, or angel, or buddy, or sentinel pased down the rode controlled by a separate line.
John
John, you nailed it. I bought the boat from a
South African and he called it a Sally.
It worked well, to keep from having the rode going under the tri. between the amas and hull, with a tide or wind change. Thought it might be helpful to the OP.
Old 06-06-2020, 13:56   #15

Boat: LAGOON 400

put extra chain in for stability after attaching bridle and finetune rudders so boat does not rotate.

I dont see any benefit of 2 anchors as on tide change boat will rotate 180 deg but pull on anchor will still be in same direction, if wind remains same direction.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridle, hull