Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 20:01   #1

Boat: 24' custom mono/44' simpson cat
hardware sizes

Hi,
I'm hoping some of you with similar size boats could give me some direction. We will be heading back to the boat in May to launch and deliver to the Great lakes. We will likely motor alot of the way. When things look good though, we will definitely want to sail. As the boat has been sitting for a while in the sun, I want to replace as much of the deck hardware/ running rigging as we can afford prior to leaving. Definitely mast base blocks, and mainsheet. Probably traveler blocks also. The mainsheet is attached at a single point at the end of the boom and traveler and is 4:1 (not mid boom or multiple blocks spread along the boom).
The boat is a 44ft Roger Simpson. Beam 23.5 ft. Designed displacement is about 14000lbs. Up wind sail area is around 900sqft.
I'm wondering what hardware is standard on other boats of this type and size. The numbers I have come up with for working loads don't make sense and the more I look at it the more confused I get.
Thanks.
jason w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 20:32   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: hardware sizes

Have you tried using the load calculators & formulas at the Harken website? They're more or less the yardstick that most folks use. And Harken also has great customer support, so if/when you have questions, give'em a call. Also, while their gear is pricey, it's top notch.
You can also talk to the folks at Annapolis Performance Sailing www.APSltd.com with regard to both cordage, rigging, & hardware questions. Plus, Samson Ropes has some good guides on cordage per application as well Sailing, Rigging, Running Rigging Rope

FYI, Samson's Warpspeed is a standard against which quite a lot of recreational cordage is measured against. It's low stretch, strong, & long lived. And in the long run is usually a good buy. Though on a new boat it makes sense to ensure that there aren't any line eating burrs anywhere onboard prior to spending serious $ on new running rigging. Particularly in the mast, & it's sheaves, as halyards ain't cheap.

Regarding adding hardware to a new boat, or new to you boat. You might want to keep much of it as is for a while until you know what truly needs modifying or upgrading. Other than swapping out things that are obviously DOA. And when you do change hardware, ensure that all of the fasteners are properly bedded of course. Along with proper backing plates where appropriate.

Also, given a long delivery, probably with plenty of stops along the way. Including marginally protected moorage. It would be wise to ensure that your deck cleats & their fasteners are up for lots of serious use. Especially as it's common to find undersized ones on boats that haven't seen a lot of use/recent use.

Ah, & learn to splice Spectra. It's a universal rigging problem solver. Strops, soft shackles, pendants, etc. And get hard copies of rigging hardware catalogs from every company that you can. Primarily deck hardware, but rig components too.

Oh, also have a rigger go over your rig well in advance of your trip, so that you can fix any big issues on a non-emergent basis & pace. Plus they'll be able to offer you tips on deck hardware arangements & running rigging. And if you've the time, pull the rig for a full inspection prior to bringing the new family member home.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 23:14   #3

Boat: 24' custom mono/44' simpson cat
Re: hardware sizes

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I have tried the Harken load calculator. I will call them tomorrow. I don't plan on changing much for now. Just replacing suspect old gear to avoid having to cut a good sail short. I'm sure after we sail the boat a bit we will have our own ideas about how things should be layed out.

As far as cleats go, this boat has, wait for it... bit posts! I have looked them over and they seem in good repair. Re-bedding hardware is one of the things on the list to help pass the time while on the water. Fun.

I have been splicing for a few years and can manage three strand, double braid, and twelve strand. On our last trip I left a spool of 3/16 dyneema on the boat for anything we should need it for. That stuff is gold! The mast will be down for the Erie canal and I plan to do new standing rigging at that time. It has sta-lok fittings so new cones and it shouldn't be to much of a problem. I have been up the rig and all appears to be in order but coming from salt to fresh water I would rather just replace now and sleep better.

Thanks again.
jason w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware, size