Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2018, 12:53   #136

Re: Gunboat International sues Chinese boatyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
This is just BS: my ‘99 f250 was the most reliable vehicle we’ve ever owned. Bought on eBay with a salvage title we had it for 11 years and it never let us down. Ditto for the ‘67 I had too. Our 2017 f250 was also without fault or defect when delivered and nothing broke while we owned it either.

Blanket statements like “Ford trucks normal habitat is on a tow truck hook” just show the posters ignorance or bias and essentially devalue or negate the rest of the post. Who cares about what else you might have to say if you begin with such an indefensible statement? How can we believe the rest of it when your first point is so obviously flawed?
That's simply your opinion. The hard part for you is proving it.

Old 29-12-2018, 13:21   #137

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Why? I’m not the one making sweeping generalizations. You’re the one making the outlandish claims, I just pointed them out using my own experiences as contradictory examples.
Old 29-12-2018, 13:43   #138
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
This is just BS: my ‘99 f250 was the most reliable vehicle we’ve ever owned. Bought on eBay with a salvage title we had it for 11 years and it never let us down. Ditto for the ‘67 I had too. Our 2017 f250 was also without fault or defect when delivered and nothing broke while we owned it either.

Blanket statements like “Ford trucks normal habitat is on a tow truck hook” just show the posters ignorance or bias and essentially devalue or negate the rest of the post. Who cares about what else you might have to say if you begin with such an indefensible statement? How can we believe the rest of it when your first point is so obviously flawed?

We also have a 99 F250 diesel with 320,000 miles on the original engine and transmission, very reliable.
Now a 2002 Chevy Duramax? I thought by now everyone knew they were unreliable.
Old 29-12-2018, 13:53   #139
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Nah. Might be a language barrier.
I was joking.
(FYI, in English, “Volvo” sounds just like the word for female naughty bits)
Not in English. Perhaps in your dialect. If you're 10 years old.
Old 29-12-2018, 13:55   #140

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I also have a 2000 F150. Somehow it has survived all these years with the original engine.

On the other hand my sisters Corolla has seats that are stained by water. Yep like rain coming in when you open the door. This defect goes back 8 years but they are still using the same crappy cloth. I'll file that in the WTF department.
Old 29-12-2018, 16:47   #141

Quote:
Why? I’m not the one making sweeping generalizations. You’re the one making the outlandish claims, I just pointed them out using my own experiences as contradictory examples.
Your experience is based on your own example. My experience is based on several hundred Ford owners that I know personally, and the writings of thousands of Ford truck owners on several websites.
Old 29-12-2018, 16:50   #142
smj

Gunboat International sues Chinese boatyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Your experience is based on your own example. My experience is based on several hundred Ford owners that I know personally, and the writings of thousands of Ford truck owners on several websites.

Yep, I believe you. You’ve never owned a Ford truck yet you seem to do a ton of research on them. If you would have done the same research on your Duramax before you purchased, it may have saved you some $’s and headaches. Like I said, 320,000 miles on my Ford and still going strong, doesn’t even burn any oil.
Why are we talking trucks on a boating forum?
Old 29-12-2018, 18:18   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Not in English. Perhaps in your dialect. If you're 10 years old.
No offense intended, Volvo owner.
Eh?
Old 29-12-2018, 20:10   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Yep, I believe you. You’ve never owned a Ford truck yet you seem to do a ton of research on them. If you would have done the same research on your Duramax before you purchased, it may have saved you some $’s and headaches. Like I said, 320,000 miles on my Ford and still going strong, doesn’t even burn any oil.
Why are we talking trucks on a boating forum?
At the time, my Duramax (purchased in Sept. 2001) was one of the first year models, even though it was a 2002 model. All information available at that time pointed toward a fantastic drivetrain.

It's not that I've been doing research on Fords, it's just the empirical data is hard to ignore in a town full of trucks. You get used to seeing a truck with the hood up with a Ford emblem on it.

Not that Chevy is much better. That was the point made earlier, "made in USA" is hardly a mark of quality.
Old 29-12-2018, 20:57   #145
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
At the time, my Duramax (purchased in Sept. 2001) was one of the first year models, even though it was a 2002 model. All information available at that time pointed toward a fantastic drivetrain.

It's not that I've been doing research on Fords, it's just the empirical data is hard to ignore in a town full of trucks. You get used to seeing a truck with the hood up with a Ford emblem on it.

Not that Chevy is much better. That was the point made earlier, "made in USA" is hardly a mark of quality.

Will have to admit, Ford had some great years and some disasters.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:42   #146
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

It is fair to say that national pride has little place in being objective about production quality.

And that international corporations have the **ability** to create high quality, wherever their products are built, and regardless of their historical origins.

Finally, quality - as in longevity, low total cost of ownership over decades - is rarely an important choice factor for most consumers, and that is more true in sectors where lots of product costs are spent on marketing.
Old 04-01-2019, 19:50   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
. . . Finally, quality - as in longevity, low total cost of ownership over decades - is rarely an important choice factor for most consumers, and that is more true in sectors where lots of product costs are spent on marketing.

Sure, as anyone who ever owned an English car can tell you. But it's not just marketing, by any means. It's also what the vehicle does, how it feels, how much you like driving it. If it's really great to drive, you might rationally put up with fixing it more often.

Says the guy who owns a Range Rover

But seriously -- there's nothing like it. It's a lot of trouble -- the worst engineered vehicle I ever owned (and I've owned MG's and Jags and even an Aston Martin, so that's saying something), but it's really worth it, especially if you actually go off road, which I do.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 05-01-2019, 06:08   #148

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

... Made in USA is not too bad, reliable good old V8 tech, combustion volume instead of supercharger and downsizing / overengineering, comfort soft cruising setup instead of hard racing suspensions...

there are lots of rugged products I like, that are made of steel instead of plastic.

Examples Blendtec blender, KittchenAid mixer, Tin Lizzi Ford T hot rods, Harley Davidson, MAG lite ...

Who does not like the shiny dynosaur trucks with unsynchronized shifting gear from Peterbilt, Freightliner, Mack etc. See also Cummins engines and generators...
Old 05-01-2019, 06:17   #149
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
No offense intended, Volvo owner.
Eh?
No, you're a very silly person.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:48   #150

Quote: