Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 13:19   #1

Grading the Builders

Good afternoon,

I've been doing quite a bit of homework on catamarans and as usual, a lot of opinions are out there.

Opinions are great, but sometimes they don't really hit the point. Example - Cabinets in the Bob are crap. Real story is that the cabinets are made from teak and are perfect, the hinges are cheap and need to be replaced.

So, I'm pretty interested in the Atlantic and the Lagoon cats. I've heard the Lagoons are like Lexus, the Atlantic are like Porsche, Gunboat is Ferrari and Fountaine-Pajot is Honda.

What is it about these models that really drives the different qualities? FP always appears to be similar to Lagoon. Any real differences?

Thanks guys!

Jason
TxAgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 17:00   #2

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Re: Grading the Builders

Jason,
Whats a Catana equate to?
Old 03-08-2011, 17:30   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAgs View Post
So, I'm pretty interested in the Atlantic and the Lagoon cats. I've heard the Lagoons are like Lexus, the Atlantic are like Porsche, Gunboat is Ferrari and Fountaine-Pajot is Honda.
What models, for example
Quote:
Fountaine-Pajot is Honda
One of these ?

or one of these?
Old 03-08-2011, 17:54   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Or one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	30193  
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 18:50   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

No, Lagoons are the Fords of cats. Good affordability but some what plain or even kinda crappy finish. Lot's of complaints about that and customer service on warranty issues discussed on multiple threads. FP are generally somewhat better. Lets call Catanas the Corvettes (or BMWs of cats). Fantastic finish and good speed for a cruiser without being too pricey. BTW Comparing a Lagoon an Atlantic is not possible. Totally different beasts.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:26   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
As a lagoon owner i can agree, Lagoon treats us like scum! Oncethe cheque is cashed dont bother contacting them again.
Great boats though, love ours and the quality is there too.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:48   #7

Boat: Privilege 37

Having recently visited a nearly new Lagoon 380. I reckoned the finish inside left a lot to be desired. The woodwork was worse than most flat pack offerings - not impressed.

The FP is also light and insubstantial .

The Maverick looks to be well finished.

My privilege at more than 10 years has a better finish than a lot of the new boats!

However, finish is only a part of the equation. The layout and equipment of the boat is another crucial aspect of the decision process.

At the end of the day, you have to look at a large number of factors in order to find the compromise that best fits your aspirations.

My Privilege 37 is not a 100% match, but comes as close as I am likely to find without a custom build.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:57   #8

Thanks everyone. I especially appreciate the car photos. I figured someone would put up an NSX!

We're starting our research on builders, used boats, etc... I have a lot of sailing experience, just no experience with cats other than a 10 day charter. The catch is that once the charter was over, my wife looked at me and said "Yup, let's do the liveaboard thing, but, on a cat".

So, we are really trying to filter out the makes/models we don't want to waste our time investigating. We will be doing at least 2 transatlantics and one pacific crossing.

I keep looking at the Chris White designs, but my wife is a red head and wants to be under some shade when driving, and she doesn't want to do it from the salon. Yes, i understand that sailing is only 10-20% of the time, but that equates to at least 219 days on a 3 year trip.

Be prepared to hear more from me!

Jason
Old 06-08-2011, 09:59   #9

Boat: Maine Cat 41

If you have the budget, I would go with a Chris White.

Staying out of the sun is an issue, but you will likely be in more sun away from the boat than while on it and sailing.

Even @ 20% of 3 years, your 219 days, consider:
  • If you split the helm duties, she's down to approx. 110 days
  • Some will be under stormy conditions, so you will likely use the inside helm.
  • Long passages will be done mostly with the AP (aka - long periods in the sun not required)
  • I have seen CW designs with a forward bimini
  • Hats
  • Technical clothing
  • You do the most of the watches between 10AM - 4PM

Of the boats you listed, the CWs are perhaps the best-designed for your intended usage. Of course, Privilege or a Dolphin 460 are good choices too.

Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:16   #10

Yogao,

Thanks for the info. You and I are actually right on with the thinking. My wife just happens to be a redhead and while she loves to be outside, she hates to get burned. I've seen her get sunburned sitting in the car with the sun coming though the door window!

I am really liking the Chris White designs. I may ask for something a bit custom when the time comes. We may end up getting a bigger boat to to captained charters. I don't really see a need for a head per berth. That's more than most houses!

Jason