Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2006, 06:06   #1

Good names in cats

Hello all,

I'm new to cats, having been a leaner my whole life, however I've been doin quite a bit of research on cats lately, and am quickly falling in love. I'm actually planning on chartering one, and if I like it selling my mono for a cat. The comfort...oh the comfort.

Anways, what I have had a problem finding, however, is what a good builder of cruising cats is. I know the names, prout, catana, priveledge, voyage, ect. But which of these cats would you choose if you were going offshore? Which would YOU personally want with you when a squall is coming.

This is completely hypthetical and a very open ended question, but one I don't think has been addressed too extensively.

I'd rather no questions into how I'll use the boat, how much money I have to spend, where I'll be going, ect. As this isn't necessarly a question for my personal needs, just a curious look at quality of build.

Thanks in advance, and fair winds,

Will
will n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 08:59   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
You will get an enourmous divergence of opinion about which is best. so here is my input:

Prout (especially Snowgoose Elite or 38ft) very capable offshore long distance cruisers, built for bad weather and proven over the years.

Broadblue - follow on from the Prouts - a much more modern design and better sailors (especially the 44) very good in bad weather.

Lagoon - solid french designs with nice interior (shame about the exterior) a lot of the charter boats are not tuned for sailing very well

Fountaine Pajot - nice looking boats (different ones e.g. athena, Tobago etc) all with nice interior, however IMHO they are built to light - this does mean that they are fast, and a new boat is going to be fine, but cross these off your list if you are contemplating an ex-charter boat, and try to avoid bad weather.

Privilege - Nice boats that are heavily built, thus tend to be a bit motor sailors when trying to go upwind. Luxurious interiors.

Voyage - Nice looking boats with good interiors. The latest 38 design (built by Maxim) is well worth a couple of good looks (ask S/V Makai). I would be tempted if I had the money!

Woods Designs (Eclipse, Flica etc) - normally home completed in UK, the interiors tend to be open plan and not finished to the same degree of luxury. They are excellent sailors and as proved by Richard Woods recent experience, good in bad weather.

PDQ - US design with good reputation - built light with outboards sufficient as power plants, I suspect that these are better as coastal boats rather than long distance boats but I dont really have any evidence to support this.

Manta - another US design - appears to be very favourably received by their owners.

Gemini - dont know anything about these

Wildcat - dont touch with a barge pole. evidence of poor construction and zero interest from the builders.

Catalac - very old design and very poor to windward. very family friendly and comfortable cruisers. the 12m is very nice and good value for money, but very scarce. Load carrying capability on the 8 and 9m versions precludes round the world trips, but good across the Atlantic. fine boat in bad weather.

Heavenly Twin - The final version (Mk 3) is a good boat, and at 27ft long has a surprising degree of comfort and space. A number of these have made it round the world.

Hope this helps, it really only just scratches the surface, and I hope I have not offended anyone - these are after all just my opinion!
Old 14-04-2006, 09:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
An excellent starting list from Talbot, to which I’d add a few on-line resources:

”Evaluating a Cruising Catamaran” ~ by Bill Springer
From “Sail Magazine” 2005 Buyers Guide:
http://www.sailbuyersguide.com/artic...gCatamaran.cfm

“The Elusive Cruising Catamaran Performance” ~ by Charles E. Kanter
(originally published in MULTIHULLS MAGAZINE 2002)
http://www.sailcopress.com/elusive_c...aran_perfo.htm

Multihulls World - All the Tests of Catamarans
100's of Cat tests - mostly 5 Euros ea., but some Free downloads
http://www.multihulls-world.com/us/essais.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 11:51   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
I'll just add to Talbot's advice that PDQ is Canadian, very high quality and priced accordingly. Geminis seem to be well built but are narrow and more suited to coastal cruising; they seem fairly basic and in my view are only suitable for a couple or very small family. As he said, this just scratches the surface - perhaps you could give more input on your intended sailing, size of your crew and other wants.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 12:43   #5

My apologies to PDQ. IIRC the galley for the PDQ is actually designed by a chef rather than sticking things where they appear to fit.
Old 14-04-2006, 23:28   #6

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
As a Privilege 435 owner I'm a bit biased but...

Build quality is second to none and deck equipment - Harken and Lewmar - excellent. I crossed the Atlantic in her and have experienced 40 knots constant with gusts to 50. Not saying I'm in a rush to repeat that particular experience but the boat was certainly capable of dealing with it!

Catana is also really high quality but even more expensive than a Privilege, also, I don't like the helms being so exposed.

I was originally going to buy a Prout 45 but they went bust just at the time I was finally getting around to doing something. Broadblue appear to have all the good characteristics of the Prout's (not surprising since the senior management are ex-Prout) so are a good buy.

Lagoon's (apart from the dumb 440 with the raised helm) are sensible, solid and quite good value.

Now the not so good...

I haven't yet seen a South African built cat that I consider has enough bridgedeck clearance. I haven't sailed one so maybe slamming isn't the problem it looks as though it will be but at first sight I don't like the look of them.

Don't like the Fountaine Pajot's because the ones I've seen are ligthly built.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 12:23   #7

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Will,

my wife and I just upgraded to a Voyage 47 from a PDQ 34 Classic. The PDQ 34 was the same as the 36 that made their name. I know many couples living on their 36's and cruising the Bahamas and others who have done it. If interested Our PDQ is for sale at a reasonable price. PM me if you want more info, the boat is in Maryland

CKing
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 07:25   #8

Thanks

Thank you for all the great responses. I've gone through each brand boat you all have mentioned and looked them up on yachtworld and google. Some great boats in there, and its good to know that most of the boats I was previously looking at are on your lists too.

Kevin - Well after those responses I certainly have a great idea on which boat builders are the best. So to narrow it down here are my plans:

I will be taking a job in either Peurto Rico, Melbourne Florida, or San diego in the next 4 or 5 months. Since I'm looking for a boat to do extended...or indefinate cruising...in OZ, NZ, and the islands of the south pacific after my job is complete, I would like to purchase a boat to live on and get ready for this trip. It will be just my wife and I and our cat. I've begun looking into cats because my wife hates life at an angle, and our feline isn't too fond of it either...(and truth be told maybe I'm not either but shhh). I love the space and shallow draft. The only thing that makes me really hesitate is my current lack of experience on a cat, and cost of dockage.

Seaking - Thanks for the offer, but I believe 34 feet would be a little small for us, and it probably wouldn't fit my 6'3 frame.

Fair winds,

Will
Old 16-04-2006, 09:00   #9

you might be surprised at the height available in some cats even short ones - mine is 29 ft long and I am 6'2" and a tad more than 200 lb and I dont have a problem.
Old 16-04-2006, 09:26   #10

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Will

I too, am 6'3" and have no problem on the PDQ. the Beds are Queen size same length as a King Size.

Seaking
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 19:26   #11

That's excellent to hear, I'll take another look at them on yachtworld right now. I was under the impression that anything under 40 feet would tend to not have much headroom and wasn't appropriate for offshore work. But I loved being proved wrong in these regards.

Fair winds,

Will
Old 16-04-2006, 19:52   #12
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Will

Don't take the job in Melbourne, FL. I live here, and there's no marina space available for your new boat!! Other than that, it's a terrific place to live (smile).

Two Catalac catamaran owners in the same thread!! (Hi Mark, how are you?)

Rick in Florida
( A Catalac 8M owner )
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 21:36   #13

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Will,

If it's just the two of you, sorry I can't count the cat as crew - then I would suggest that 40-42 feet is the upper limit of what you should be looking at. Unless you need a lot of storage or plan on having a lot of guests? I think you would find the 36 ft PDQ quite to your liking. Or a Prout, Broadblue etc. Funny thing about multis is they don't seem to have caught on on the west coast, so you're likely to get a better look in Florida than in San Diego. There are cat builders in Maryland and Florida, incl Gemini and Manta; PDQ is up in Whitby Ontario. All are worth a good look. Good hunting and let us know what you find. I'm still in the research stage and would appreciate the added insight. Cheers.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 02:35   #14

Quote:
Two Catalac catamaran owners in the same thread!!
Seen you holding your own over in Sailnet as well!

You installed the bearings yet?
Old 17-04-2006, 04:46   #15
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Furler is fixed!! As it turned out, I needed that bearing from Rotostay as the local one didn't work out. Went sailing on Saturday and it works just fine.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote