Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 08:08   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Goiot Escape Hatch 42.49 Recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STELLA31 View Post
Hi. The glue was changed. It used to be a mastic silicone. Not sure what they are using now. There is a slight colour difference seen from old and new stock.
Dont know why they changed.
I think you are correct. Goiot offered to send me new "glue" but i wanted a more secure solution. Their recall fix uses 3M VHB tape. Maybe it is okay, but I used some it on a different project and it didn't hold and I ended up using screws.

Last week a cat forgot to close their escape hatch and it took an intentional grounding, and two days of effort by many people to get the hatch secured and the water bailed out. You don't really have a chance on the open ocean if the hatch fails.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1256.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	185306

AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:20   #17

Its such a shame. Goiot have always made such quality products. How old is your hatch.
There is a colour difference in the new and old sealant. The old one came with a primer.

STELLA31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:29   #18

Quote:
Its such a shame. Goiot have always made such quality products. How old is your hatch.
There is a colour difference in the new and old sealant. The old one came with a primer.
Mine that failed was 5 years old. Two other helias with failed hatches were 2015 boats. I purchased replacement hatches, the sealant in those seemed the same to the old hatches. It looks just like clear silicone sealant. I declined Goiot's offer of new sealant, just decided to reinforce the hatch so I wouldn't have to think about it.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:26   #19

The company i work for have sold Goiot hatches for approx 18 years. I have alot of hystorical documents. Currently trying to find the original silicone for our customers wanting to replace acrylics on older goiot hatches. as its the only one i trust. Will let you know how i go. 75% positive im on the right track.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:28   #20

The older silicone has kinda like a tint to it.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:36   #21

Yours will be fine. The change was made some time after the GFC. Goiot changed hands twice.
New staff. No knowledge or appreciation for the products. Which i would say they are reconsidering.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:37   #22

Quote:
Yours will be fine. The change was made some time after the GFC. Goiot changed hands twice.

New staff. No knowledge or appreciation for the products. Which i would say they are reconsidering.

Thank you for the info. Could explain why the failures seemed to be in a several year span.

I still like to have the lens mechanically attached independently of the silicone. The consequences of a hatch failure is so dire.
Old 07-04-2019, 19:50   #23

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
Thank you for the info. Could explain why the failures seemed to be in a several year span.

I still like to have the lens mechanically attached independently of the silicone. The consequences of a hatch failure is so dire.
Interested to hear or see how you mechanically attached the lens.
Thanks in advance and so sorry to hear of your situation.
MoggieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:17   #24

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

I had received FP's fix about the same time I received Allen's kit. The FP device was very quick and easy to install but doesn't provide any positive back pressure of the acrylic against the frame so it could allow a leak, certainly not a disaster though. Given the hassle factor if it does leak I'm going to better my odds by adding Allen's kit when I get back to the boat. There is room for both and with positive back pressure for the window it is cheap insurance against leak or tragedy.

Mike
VeinDocFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:51   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Shopping for a Cat

Steve_C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 08:36   #26

Yet another FP Helia lost its escape hatch lens, this time in the BVIs. Amazing the crew was able to save the boat stuffing mattresses, pillows in the hole. An incredible job.
What is important to note is the boat was fitted with the official Goiot recommended fix and it still failed. This should be a huge wake up call to all Goiot hatch boats that using the Goiot fix will not make you safe, you need to use a solution that doesn't use adhesive to bond to acrylic. I have been advocating a fix which uses solvent glue to weld to the acrylic and others have drilled through the acrylic.
Old 08-02-2020, 13:17   #27
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution

This goes on and on.
The fix that FP were sending out failed. They are now sending out new hatch frames.
This issue affects ALL boats from 2012 to 2018. See article here
https://www.cruisingworld.com/story/...OU9MDP_p4mW758

We were recently sent the 'Fix 'kit by FP , even though we have been advised by FP not to fit this kit as it has proved to fail They are now advising ANOTHER 'fix' for which we have to buy aluminium plate and bolts and cut and drill etc etc and they will allegedly refund our costs.

FP have told us 'not to sail the boat' until the new hatch frames are installed. Not easy to do when you live aboard and are cruising the North pacific. Even receiving the parts is tricky.
The whole debacle is outrageous.
Old 08-02-2020, 13:40   #28

The "Escape Hatch" should be considered a poor designed, poorly installed, massive through whole. It needs to be more robust in all regards than the hull onto which said opening has been cut.

Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, Goiot, hatch, recall