Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2019, 15:00   #16

Re: Getting a Cat for the first time

Is this the one?
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ll-38-3487252/
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:09   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Can anyone point me to some graphics online about using the midship cleat properly? My biggest weakness on my boat due to windage is leaving docks. Especially with a wind pressing me on the dock.

I always struggle to get free. I have certainly scraped and banged the boat a couple of times.

That is different. If I want to free the stern- I place a fender forward and “roll” the boat off the fender. The goal is to get space between the stern and the dock. Then back out.

Or run a stern spring and fender aft, to free the bow.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 20:18   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Quote:
Can anyone point me to some graphics online about using the midship cleat properly? My biggest weakness on my boat due to windage is leaving docks. Especially with a wind pressing me on the dock.

I always struggle to get free. I have certainly scraped and banged the boat a couple of times.
I can't find it online, but Charles Kanter had a excellent discussion, with sequential graphics, in one of his books. He taught me, personally, and it's always worked well for me. There's a CF thread on the topic, here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ran-37762.html

When having wind coming from the beam pinning me to the dock, here's what I do: Get a crew with a hand held fender on the dockside bow and the bow line in hand, led back to the boat. (I always lead all lines back to the boat so I don't need anyone on the dock.) If only one crew, then that person can also control the midship spring, too.

Assuming dock is to the port side, then lock rudders in the center. Take off port aft dock line, maintaining tension on midships spring, but letting it slowly run through the bow crew's glove. Port screw in reverse, starboard screw forward -- gently -- until stern begins swinging out. Boat is rotating on bow fender.

When stern is approximately 45 degrees out and stern will not hit the boat behind, then put starboard screw in reverse, while giving a bit more power to port screw to keep it swinging away from the dock. Bow line comes off as boat is a few feet from dock. If only one crew, then bow crew must quickly bring in the midships spring so as not to foul it in prop when you go to forward.

Then, you should have it in good shape to go into the fairway, port engine in forward, spin a bit if you need to. Starboard screw forward and away you go.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 00:34   #19

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Thank much for the last 2 posts regarding leaving docks under power in adverse conditions.

That makes a lot of sense. Old mono habits die hard. That was my problem. I've always tried to push the bows out and go off like a mono only to lose it because of all the windage and make contact with the dock.

Seems like this technique you've both described would also be possible with a single semi loose bow line? I have reverse razor bows so rolling those off a dock would be a bad idea. However, pulling them away from the dock after the stern has already left and pivoting them on a single bow line seems like it would keep them well away from the dock during this type of maneuver.

Has anyone tried that?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 00:59   #20
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Thank much for the last 2 posts regarding leaving docks under power in adverse conditions.

That makes a lot of sense. Old mono habits die hard. That was my problem. I've always tried to push the bows out and go off like a mono only to lose it because of all the windage and make contact with the dock.

Seems like this technique you've both described would also be possible with a single semi loose bow line? I have reverse razor bows so rolling those off a dock would be a bad idea. However, pulling them away from the dock after the stern has already left and pivoting them on a single bow line seems like it would keep them well away from the dock during this type of maneuver.

Has anyone tried that?

We just use a single bow line and a large round fender right at the bows to rotate around. Otherwise all as IT has described. I will normally come into the berth this way as well.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:42   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Has anyone tried that?
I have not tried this and am apprehensive. The reason the line is run aft from the bow is to give an angle to the line. The result is the line is checking forward motion, while allowing the bow to move a bit. A “loose” bow line is basically a short spring.

Your profile does not list the type of boat you have so it is hard to give specific directions. Keep in mind this same technique works off the stern. So line from stern cleat forward, fender aft, outside engine astern and off you go!

Note, on my personal boat all my lines (even double braided) are finished with a back splice. But I have a few long lines that are whipped on one end. If you are going to loop a line back, the running end should have a whipped end.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 02-05-2019, 05:20   #22

@ BeanCounter, yes that's the one. What are your thoughts?

Is this the one?
snoozy814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 18:20   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozy814 View Post
@ BeanCounter, yes that's the one. What are your thoughts?

Is this the one?

You should get an experienced multi hull surveyor to check out this boat, or any boat for that matter.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:01   #24

@Bean Counter...yes, we're doing a full survey on her. Hull is built like a brick shithouse, all the systems recently upgraded but we're looking at doing a bunch of upgrades to her anyway as she's been more of a "boat dock" boat vs. a sailing boat. We did have a friend go through her for us and his comment "if you don't buy her, I'll buy her out from under you and circumnavigate with her" lol. We try to be more off grid so thus upgrades, and don't want to be dependant of the electrical systems (boyfriend has done transports where the electrical was knocked out by a lightning strike) so definitely some upgrades to "green" her up. Ditto checking out rigging, etc. She's a southern boat and we're up north half the year or more, so looking at a different heating system for that as the HVAc on her pulls wayyyy too much electric. Has at least a manual windlass just in case, obviously extra water and hand held water maker for emergencies. Different cooking (alcohol stove or some such) vs. induction, etc. Handheld battery operated GPS for back up. He's transported in Cape May in pea soup fog with two gps's going as couldn't see the bow of the boat and narrow channel and fortunately they worked, otherwise no pulling into port in bad conditions or at night. Looking for a safe comfy passage, not risk takers here! May do ICW around cape hattaras for extra safety as she'll handle bridge clearances. Our current boat is very bare bones racer which we've cruised on (no head,just a bucket lol), butane cooktop and grill for cooking, no water other than what we've carried and an ice chest, gps and autopilot. No galley. So we're used to really bare bones sailing. This will be our future home so when it port it's lovely but want to see how she handles rough weather before taking her outside.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:04   #25

Also looking at how to build in an inside station to navigate where there's visibility...the nav station in her is down in an ama which isn't good for that as no visibility for sails, traffic around, etc. Person on watch has to be able to see what's going on and the "enclosure" around the steering now isn't great in cold weather...as I said, she's really set up as a southern boat so some mods needed.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:49   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozy814 View Post
Also looking at how to build in an inside station to navigate where there's visibility...the nav station in her is down in an ama which isn't good for that as no visibility for sails, traffic around, etc. Person on watch has to be able to see what's going on and the "enclosure" around the steering now isn't great in cold weather...as I said, she's really set up as a southern boat so some mods needed.

Don’t over think the second station. Autopilot with remote control and XB-8000 AIS relaying all ships data to an iPad running iNavX and you are done.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:47   #27

@Snore....Don’t over think the second station. Autopilot with remote control and XB-8000 AIS relaying all ships data to an iPad running iNavX and you are done.

Yep, for transport adding AIS to two Ipads, and already has autopilot w/remote. It's ok for now...these are some future plans if we find they're needed. As this will be our home in the future, we're looking at making her as comfy and grid free as possible. Most of the equipment we want is there to some degree w/exception of wind generator and AIS. The current owner has been using her as a charter and she's coast guard certified.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:09   #28

Good morning,
I was in your shoes 10’years ago. Bought the boat have never sailed a big cat.
Best advice go put some miles on her, get the feel. Get good weather forecasts and sail!
Worked for me the last 60,000 miles. Golden rule reef early! This isn’t a race! My cat loves head sails and small main so have a big head sail option.
MILKMAN2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:48   #29

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

A fair few have said sail by the numbers. If she's of a certain age, you might not have a manual, nor any numbers to follow. You'll just have to make your best guess.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:27   #30

Grease the hell out of the mast cars. Trying to drop the main in the wind and it only going half way down is a big problem. Buy the Navionics app for your iPad. You will not believe how accurate the cloud sourced data is and it is a great planing tool. I would also suggest the Weather 3D app.
Bon Temps is offline   Reply With Quote