Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2012, 17:54   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Gemini Noise Level

Couldn't resist poking a bit of fun at the Gemini mentality.

Check the THREE motors in this listing: 1999 Performance Cruising Gemini Catamaran 105M sailboat for sale in Florida

Hard to imagine what the idea is? Perhaps an extra 1/2 knot with 2 gallons extra per hour fuel burn?
Old 22-05-2012, 18:07   #17

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Wow, maybe they had a bad experience with losing an engine I would think one of those 15hp may push it ok in a pinch. I imagine they would have to carry lots of Gasoline in addition to the diesel to have any significant range.
I heard the new Gemini for 2013 has a redesigned hull and twin diesels.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:59   #18
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
..... I heard the new Gemini for 2013 has a redesigned hull and twin diesels.
Performance Cruising LTD no longer builds the Gemini, Hunter Marine has the moulds and "The Catamaran Company" exclusive rights to sell the boats.

It would appear that for all intents and purpose that Performance Cruising has one foot in the grave and that Tony Smith's daughter and her husband have no intention of building catamarans.

So.. I have to ask .... New Gemini catamaran? Where would I read about that?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:07   #19

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

And Hunter Marine is in forecloser
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:20   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
And Hunter Marine is in forecloser
To be totally correct, they filed for Chapter 11 as part of the Luhr's group. Production continues, and they will likely emerge out of Chap. 11 as a viable entity.

If they had of filed Chap. 7, different story.
Old 02-06-2012, 15:43   #21

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We have a Gemini 105Mc and the motor noise is about the same as a large RV generator because the disel is the same motor. We do like to sail lots more than motor but our XM radio on the Jimmy Buffett station turned up can be heared clearly in our cockpit over the water ski boats with there biggg speakers on there roll bars. I'm sure a catamaran that would sell for 4 to 5 times that of a Gemini are quiter except in the aft staterooms. All disels are noiseie.
Old 02-06-2012, 16:07   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

To me the best part of a sail boat, is when ya shut the engine down and the sails fill and the NOISE go's away !! I don't think that would change much in a Cat or a Tri or a Mono ! at least to us !!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:17   #23

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
To me the best part of a sail boat, is when ya shut the engine down and the sails fill and the NOISE go's away !! I don't think that would change much in a Cat or a Tri or a Mono ! at least to us !!
God yes! Am now properly cruising in my Catalac 900 and it is pure bliss to shut them down I can tell you, especially in a small cat' where you are literaly on top of the damn things.

With reference to a 'new Gemini', if we're talking new cats, take a look at one of these....

Voyager Catamarans Design

The same length as the 105 and a cracking layout that really does look like a big cat' inside.
Old 03-06-2012, 13:46   #24
cruiser

Simon,

This looks to be a very good boat. When I researched it, apparently Broadblue has bought this Dazcat boat design and is now building it in China.

However, I'm put off by the sail away price which seems to be around £160,000 with just a few basic options. That's over $250,000 USD. The competition at first seems nonexistent until you have a look at the Mahe 36', Gemini 105 and what's coming onto the market from charter. A large number of newish boats >11 meters for around the same retail price. All with a bimini, twin engines, and all the bells and whistles. It's what's done Gemini in.

If these boats are in fact being built in China, I would humbly suggest that Broadblue will have to revisit their building and pricing strategy to get a toe hold in the Global market place with their new smaller catamaran.

There is a market but the pricing has to make sense, and right now it doesn't. If this boat were priced at a sailaway price of £100,000 ($160,000 USD), they would be able to sell at least 100 boats the first year and be the King of every Yacht show..

There are options to lower finished boat pricing. Bertram Yachts just relocated to central Florida from Miami to take advantage of the workforce abandoned by the closed Searay Yacht plants. They are paying a ridiculously low wage to experienced workers who are very happy to have jobs and had to hire accountants to add up all the incentives local, state and Federal government are handing them. Bertram Yachts (division of Ferretti Group) played the government officials like they were playing a piano... Brilliantly..There are literally thousands more workers looking for jobs.

Who's running Broadblue these days? This boat has been around since 2008 and it just seems silly to literally miss the boat with a great new design when they could own a catamaran market segment and use it as a base to build on, all because of short sighted management. I guess an MBA isn't what it used to be (sigh)

For whatever it's worth..
Old 03-06-2012, 14:05   #25

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I have a Gemini 105MC, 2003 model.

I sailed and motored it from Fiji to Australia,

The motor is very quiet, Its insulated, I can have a conversation in the cockpit with it running at 2700 Revs and 7 knots and not have to raise my voice,

The Bridgedeck slams when you are into the wind and waves, Its quite noisy,

As I was single handed, I slept in the saloon, If you could call it sleeping, Well one eye was shut any way,

The down wind side of the back cabin is good for sleeping, On the windward side, The wave slap is quite annoying, even tho it is very quiet,

The main cabin is good at anchor for sleeping, But you cant see out when your sailing, So I didnt sleep in there,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 15:56   #26

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

It is amazing how cat prices have gone up. In the mid to late 90's you could get a decent 30-35' cat at a decent price. Those prices have Doubled since then.

Have materials really gone up that much or were they cheaper then because they weren't as popular?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 16:58   #27
Marine Service Provider

$$$$ Exactly why I am building my cat. I will have less in it than a junky old Prout when done and probably not much more time than an extensive refit would require. (I've done several)

I recall a PBO review on the Voyager. Seem to recall conclusion was "sails better than it looks or better than you might think!"

My guess is the Hunter Gemini will be more like the Voyager than the 105. I also know several of the Hunter guys have been spending lots of time in china lately. I believe they are building boat for the Chinese market, but maybe some boats for export as well.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 03-06-2012, 18:23   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
My guess is the Hunter Gemini will be more like the Voyager than the 105. ...
Jeff
Hunter Marine has the moulds for the Gemini 105 MC. The deal is "outsourcing" the catamaran builds.

They do not own the rights to the name Gemini, at least not yet and they are not developing the next Gemini.

The Gemini 105 is just the Gemini 105. Not like the Voyager 10 unless of course you can point us to the article that explains a new Gemini?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:52   #29

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Totaly aggree about the price point of the Broadblue, I guess they are looking for the more afuent market, maybe a couple wanting to downsize from a larger Lagoon etc but still able to keep the same layout.

At the moment, i'm helping a friend of mine search for a 2nd hand cat' and at the same price of a new Broadblue, you are literally tripping over tons of 5 year old Lagoon 380's, 410's etc. I know which i'd rather have....
Old 05-09-2012, 18:54   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Hunter Marine has the moulds for the Gemini 105 MC. The deal is "outsourcing" the catamaran builds.

They do not own the rights to the name Gemini, at least not yet and they are not developing the next Gemini.

The Gemini 105 is just the Gemini 105. Not like the Voyager 10 unless of course you can point us to the article that explains a new Gemini?

Saw the new Gemini on the water today seemed to be labeled Gemini 341. A pretty ugly boat. Does look a lot like that Voyager 10 thing. Seemed to have about 6" bridgedeck clearance with twin diesels under power at 6 knots in flat water.

Tags
gemini, noise