Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2021, 11:45   #31

Re: Gemini Legacy 35. First sailboat?

I bought a gemini legacy for my 1st sail boat,I took some asa classes and have been sailing it around for 1 1/2 years now.Its a great boat don't hesitate the twin engines make the boat so maneuverable, easy to drive and adjust sails also reefing right from the helm.Get that boat and go enjoy it! I have spent time sailing a 105 and I prefer the legacy hands down.
Scott bouchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 13:13   #32
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott bouchie View Post
I bought a gemini legacy for my 1st sail boat,I took some asa classes and have been sailing it around for 1 1/2 years now.Its a great boat don't hesitate the twin engines make the boat so maneuverable, easy to drive and adjust sails also reefing right from the helm.Get that boat and go enjoy it! I have spent time sailing a 105 and I prefer the legacy hands down.
So you've sailed both the 105MC and the Legacy 35, and you would prefer the 35 hands down? I haven't even seen either of these boats other than a few photos, but it seems to me as if 105 must be a way better sailer than 35. Could you please explain us the reasons behind your preference?
Thanks...
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 15:34   #33

They both have their good points,the 105 has alot of good points i like the way they sail with the dager boards but they take maintenance the rudders retract so you can beach them and a few other things everyone else talks about.The things i like about the legacy is the cockpit is alot bigger getting in and out is way easier (i have had both knee replacements) the inside is redesigned and has more headroom in the salon and generally nicer. I will also say the twin engines are more maneuver able in tight quarters, i also like that they have props and shaft drive instead of saildrives also like i said before all the lines run to the cockpit so no going on deck to raise the main sail or reefing in seas.I also like the anchor locker and windless arangment on the legacy.Im a live aboard cruiser so im not in a hurry some folks say the 105 is faster but i dont notice it to much,both boats are sensitive to weight so dont load it down to much or speed will suffer.The Legacy loaded for cruising sails about 1/2 speed of the wind and points to 40 degrees without loosing to much speed.Ya id love to have a 40 foot lagoon but im glad i started with the legacy its hard enough to drive around the docks.I hope this answers some of your questions.
Scott bouchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 19:41   #34
lyl

Yes, Legacy 35 is a better choice for you. Enjoy!
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 11:17   #35

Boat: GEMINI Legacy 35x loa37' x 14'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott bouchie View Post
They both have their good points,the 105 has alot of good points i like the way they sail with the dager boards but they take maintenance the rudders retract so you can beach them and a few other things everyone else talks about.

The things i like about the legacy is the cockpit is alot bigger getting in and out is way easier (i have had both knee replacements) the inside is redesigned and has more headroom in the salon and generally nicer. I will also say the twin engines are more maneuver able in tight quarters, i also like that they have props and shaft drive instead of saildrives also like i said before all the lines run to the cockpit so no going on deck to raise the main sail or reefing in seas.I also like the anchor locker and windless arangment on the legacy.Im a live aboard cruiser so im not in a hurry some folks say the 105 is faster but i dont notice it to much,both boats are sensitive to weight so dont load it down to much or speed will suffer.The Legacy loaded for cruising sails about 1/2 speed of the wind and points to 40 degrees without loosing to much speed.Ya id love to have a 40 foot lagoon but im glad i started with the legacy its hard enough to drive around the docks.I hope this answers some of your questions.
I agree with Scott on all points. I'll add a few others from my experience.

I've sailed both and now own a new Legacy 35x (with optional extended hulls )

It seems people tend to prefer the boat they bought. You don't hear, "Yeah, I bought a Legacy but like the 105 better"

The redundancy is a great comfort - especially for anything off shore or anywhere in the face of a coming Gale. Two engines, two transmissions, two propellers, two cooling systems, , , Big traditional vulnerabilities have 100% backup.

Two diesels does not mean double fuel consumption on long hauls. Mine will maintain 5 knots with one engine and 6.9 knots with both. Both at reasonable cruise RPMs - about 2,900rpm. Hence I often use only one engine when extended motoring. About half the fuel consumption. It is very miserly.

The optional extended hulls are really a good choice. And IF there is a weight problem with the standard config, the extended hulls solve that problem. The swim platform is terrific. And it doubles as a perfect dink platform. No annoying davits needed !

AND maneuverability is magical. Pivots on its own length with ease. I single hand most of the time. Tight marinas seem to get tighter every year. Those two engines will thread the needle a lot better than two extra crew!

We don't have daggerboards (thank goodness) but we have a nominal draft of 2'10". And then if aground, you sit on the beefy keels, not a fragile daggerboard. Rudders are well protected from grounding since they are tucked behind the keels - not sticking out in clear water.

I'd like to say that the diesels are quiet. They're not. 🤔

Some say the 105 is faster. In most situations - I doubt that. Close hauled, the daggerboards might yield less leeway. But I doubt that too. Even without the keels, Cats have two nice long vertical hulls. (aka full-length keels without tons of lead ballast!) Double++ that of a monohull.

I added Max Props. Its hard to quantify, but the boat now feels faster and more responsive. I'd say about +1.5 knots at most points of sail. Accelerates very nicely. This pays off even more when motoring with one engine.

Mariah's Childe lives in the third ocean - the great lakes. Its 14' beam makes it suitable for nearly any marina's standard slip. Wide cats will not find a place to sleep anywhere. Thats why you rarely see a wide catamaran - like a lagoon 38. Simply no place to park it!

IMHO the Legacy eliminates many of the weaknesses of the 105 (et al) - replacing them with strengths.

What do I like better about the 105 series? Nothing that I can think of.
Curtwpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 23:47   #36

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Tony ripped out all the Cherry wood panelling from inside the Gemini 105MC after he came back from his England Delivery, 2002,
That would certainly make it Lighter and brighter inside, No Dark wood,
It also made the whole boat lighter with out the Cherry wood panelling, How much, I have no idea, But Cherry wood panelling is not light,

There is a Knack to parking the 105MC in a tite Marina,
You point the bow to where ever your going and drive from the rear,

I can park my boat in a very tite marina with a 90 degree turn into the finger in 20 knot crosswinds the first time every time,
The rear of my Gem goes sideways while the bow just goes forwards,
At the last minute, I just put it in reverse and turn the wheel towards the dock and step off and tie my boat up by myself,
Its still travelling very slowly,
My whole boat is hard against the dock, First time every time,

There are about 4 or 5 Models of the Gemini, 105, 105M and 105MC, And they do vary in Manufacture from the first to the last,

The Legacy is a slightly different boat again,

The PO of my Gem, Bought it Brand New, trucked it across the USA on a Truck and splashed it at San Diago, Then sailed it across the Pacific Ocean to Australia, Via all the islands in the middle, Hawai,Tonga, Etc, Etc,
Then Lived on it in Fiji for 8 years,

I bought it in Fiji and then sailed it back to Australia, Single handed,
I have done 6000 Nmiles in it, All single handed, And all offshore,
There are no Protected waters here, Hahahahaha, Its all Ocean Sailing, Blue Water,
My Gem 105MC, normally lives in Bass Strait, Victoria Australia,
But currently half way up the Tasman Sea as Australia,

Its for sale if any one is interested, It has all the Bells and Whistles for off shore sailing and full time live aboard,

Cheers Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 04:23   #37

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Mr. B, what did they use instead of the cherry wood?
FWIW cherry wood paneling weighs about the same as any other wood paneling. It's just a thin veneer of cherry over plywood. Solid cherry trim would add some weight though.
Old 31-07-2021, 04:52   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Mr. B, what did they use instead of the cherry wood?
FWIW cherry wood paneling weighs about the same as any other wood paneling. It's just a thin veneer of cherry over plywood. Solid cherry trim would add some weight though.

There is no panelling on my 2003, 105MC, Its just one shell of Fibreglass,
So its a lighter boat than the one Tony sailed to the USA with the Cherry wood panelling, ,

Ive never seen the Cherry wood panelling as there are no Geminis close to me in OZ,
The other one at my Marina was a 2008 model with out the panelling,

Cheers Brian,
Old 24-03-2022, 17:05   #39

Mr B, Are you still selling your Gemini?
Mr Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 19:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Z View Post
Mr B, Are you still selling your Gemini?
Yes, Unfortunately, I have damaged both my arms and cant sail any more,
Its located at Yaringa Marina in Westernport Bay, Victoria,

It is set up fully for offshore full time liveaboard,
It has all the bells and whistles to circumnavigate OZ, and any where else you might want to take it,
I have done 7000 Nmiles in it single handed, Starting in Fiji,
4000 Nmiles of it in Bass Strait and the Tasman Sea,

I have just sailed it back from Port Stephens, NSW, In some of the worst weather imaginable,
Its a very capable boat in the worst weather,

Cheers, Brian,

briansgemini@gmail.com
Old 04-08-2022, 04:07   #41

Thank you all for your input on the Gemini! I definitely appreciate the first hand experience, especially from Valhalla and Mr. B

Mr. B, if you are still active here, I'm sorry to hear of your arm injuries. I have had my share of them and hope you're able to recover and enjoy life as you desire instead of as you're able.

Valhalla, just curious where you are located? I'm in Thunder Bay. I also enjoyed your comments re: Great Loop in your Gemini

Hoping everyone has a great day!
Nadamamasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:02   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadamamasboy View Post
Thank you all for your input on the Gemini! I definitely appreciate the first hand experience, especially from Valhalla and Mr. B

Mr. B, if you are still active here, I'm sorry to hear of your arm injuries. I have had my share of them and hope you're able to recover and enjoy life as you desire instead of as you're able.

Valhalla, just curious where you are located? I'm in Thunder Bay. I also enjoyed your comments re: Great Loop in your Gemini

Hoping everyone has a great day!

Yes Im still here occasionally, Arms are slowly getting better, But thats life,

At least I can still ride my bike, 12 inch risers on it, That helps, I couldnt ride it with clipons,

I have now moved to my Land Yacht, 36 foot 1989 Foretravel ORED, At least I can drive that one easily, I will continue my travels in that,

My 2003 Gemini 105 MC is still for sale,

Cheers Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	133630750_10224835159171175_5067623215986400706_n.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	262176  

Tags
boat, gemini, sail, sailboat