Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2010, 08:45   #1

Gemini 3200 / Cat Under $60k

Hey everyone, im in the market for a used cat right. probably wont buy for another 6 months, but want to do my research. under 60k...
Also, I don't know much about cats, but love how theyre power and sailing, have great great fuel costs, and from what i hear are very seaworthy and easy to maintain.

Gemini Catamaran 3200 ive come across a few boats like this/gemini 3200 and they seem pretty sweet.

i was wondering how well these boats do in the caribbean, central/south america, and the states? could a boat like this make a trip from cali to hawaii safely? im sure ill end up getting something under 35 feet, so id really like to know a honest opinion on the seaworthiness. also, what type of maintenance goes into owning a boat like this, $ wise?

would love to hear advice and thanks for your time.
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 09:53   #2

I've seen quite a few Geminis in the Bahamas, and in good condition they are well suited to that kind of leisurely island hopping style cruising. I believe a Gemini was sailed from or to Hawaii/California. But I doubt that it was a 3200 with a 30 hp outboard.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 13:55   #3
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
It's not the 3200, but a newer one, but you might check out the blog of "Slapdash". A Canadian couple, beginner sailors when they started, took a Gemini from Florida through the Panama Canal, and have now crossed the Pacific. I think the boat is presently still over there while they are back in Canada drumming up some more cruising money. But they've taken it a LOT further than CA to HI.

http://www.theslapdash.com/index.html

Good blog, too.

The guy who owns the company that makes the boats sailed one from the US to England across the North Atlantic. A LOT of people will tell you that these boats are just absolutely NOT suitable for open water, no sir no way no how end of discussion...

But even their detractors will tell you that they are good coastal cruisers, like what you are envisioning.

Good thing Thor Heyerdahl didn't ask em about his boats, huh?

By the way, I think that if you have six months or so, you should be able to find a Gemini 3400 for that kind of money. real close, anyhow.
Old 25-01-2010, 19:41   #4

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
I sailed a 34 for a week in the northwest that had come from east coast with a family and they were pleased with the boat. I found the boat well manered and a reasonable sailor for a cruising cat. I at the time owned a custom high speed tri. The cat had fair living room big aft deck good dingy storage on ss hoists. There were some head bumpers and the center board controls are below. The forestay is a pain in the butt tacking. As to finish a little rough better on newer boats but far from goldplate. As to cost of upkeep that would depend a lot on how much you can do yourself and if you can fix or break stuff trying. Aside from outdrive unit I would think this boat if in good purchase condition not a particularly expensive boat to keep and operate.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 19:49   #5

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
What would scare me, is the lack of interior pictures. When we were looking for out boat, we encountered so many that were in terrible shape when we finally got to look into the places where their camera refused to go. Seemed those were the ones that always said things like "great shape" and "excellent condition for her age". Lots of disappointments.
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 04:34   #6

Me and my gf sailed accross the pacific, from Panama to Australia, on our 30ft Uhuru. So i think this 32ft cat wouldn't be worse

Andreas Mehlin
7Hav.se
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini