Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 14:57   #1

Gemini 105MC Bilge pumps

I am considering buying a Gemini 105MC and noticed something very different in the boat. Apparently the shower has a pump for the grey water and also used as a bilge pump. In the operator manual, it states that there is a valve that controls which pontoon or shower needs to be pumped out. I find this very bizarre that one pump would be used to empty the shower and used as a bilge pump.

The purpose of a bilge pump is supposed to remove water in the event of a leak. Someone wouldn't know there is a leak until the water is above the floor boards.

Is this type of configuration unique to this boat or do other boats have this?
dogbulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 15:30   #2

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Gemini 105MC Bilge pumps

My 105MC has the bilge pump that empties the shower and is also used to empty the bilge at the same time, ,
The 3 way valve transfers the pump to the other hull where a hose in the cupboard drains the other hull, You pull the hose out of the cupboard and put it into the bilge to drain it,

Its a good way to know if your bilge pump is actually working or not, If your shower pump is working, Your bilge on that side will be almost dry, It dont suck up all the water,

If the water is above the flooring from the bilge, You have a serious leak some where,

Move your batterys from the bilge to some where higher, 18 inches of water in your boat and the batterys will be shorted out and you will have not power,
My batterys are now in the box just inside the door and in the locker beside the motor,
Above the waterline of sinking,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 15:54   #3

I understand the way it works. I am just curious why there isn't a dedicated bilge pump in each pontoon with a float switch? If the boat developed a leak while I wasn't on the boat it would sink.
Old 07-12-2018, 16:06   #4

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbulter View Post
I understand the way it works. I am just curious why there isn't a dedicated bilge pump in each pontoon with a float switch? If the boat developed a leak while I wasn't on the boat it would sink.
The Gemini is built to a price, Its a very cheap Cat compared to others of the same size,
You pay for what you get,
Dedicated bilge pumps with float are not that expensive to buy online,
Just buy two and have them installed and tested to make sure they work,
2000 GPH are about $40-00 each online,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 16:10   #5

I definitely plan on installing dedicated bilge pumps if we buy the boat. Thank you for responding.
Old 08-12-2018, 15:06   #6

I bought a new Gemini 105 MC from the factory in Annapolis. The owner, If I remember was Tony, went out of his way to tell me you don't need bilge pumps for this boat. Well, on an overnight crossing to Puerto Rico, in rough water, we had water over our floor boards. Apparently the deck seal had failed when I hit a pier too hard and the water gushed in whenever the we stuffed the bow. We hand pumped all night. Needless to say, I installed the largest bilge pumps I could find in each hull. No more worries. The stern drive is totally unprotected and it tore off my boat when I hit something off of Nassau. Use the stern drive to get in and out of harbor... don't motor sail as a habit... especially at night. Once you know these two big weaknesses and know how to set-up and run the boat it was great. 18" of draft - a perfect boat for the Bahamas. The low free board and bridge deck are subject to slamming and that will scare the Sh*T out of you if you've never experienced that. Just slow down and you'll eliminate slamming most of the time. Overall, we loved our Gemini and spent a year on board exploring the Bahamas, T&C, DR and Puerto Rico. Love cats so much that I now own a PDQ 34. Have fun!
JSLExplores is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, gemini, gemini 105, pump