Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2012, 20:48   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Gemini 105, PDQ 36, or Seawind 1000XL

I am still trying to figure which boat fits me best. Even though these boats are all catamarans they have big differences in abilities and price.

I like the shallow draft and kick up centerboard and rudder of the Gemini, and the price.

The PDQ seems to be a nicer boat with more room and maybe a little more seaworthy.

The Seawind is the most expensive and rightly so from what I have read.

There may be other boats as well, but these are what I will call popular boats that are for sale in numbers large enough to realistically find. Some trimarans also be considered.

What I am looking for is a boat I will sail from Florida, where I live, to the Bahamas and perhaps South. Since I live in Florida I will also do coastal cruising there.

Any help welcome.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 21:12   #2

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Gemini 105, PDQ 36, or Seawind 1000XL

Try them all out,

Its the one you like most and does almost every thing you want it too,

None of the above will do it all for you,

There is always some thing on the other boat that you would like on yours, but it doesnt have,

Get one that has had all the options already fitted, It will save you heaps later,

I take my Gemini water sailing">blue water sailing and have had no problems with the sea worthyness of it,

But I did have a problem parking it, Hahahahaha which is being easily and quickly fixed,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 04:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Try them all out,

Its the one you like most and does almost every thing you want it too,

None of the above will do it all for you,

There is always some thing on the other boat that you would like on yours, but it doesnt have,

Get one that has had all the options already fitted, It will save you heaps later,

I take my Gemini blue water sailing and have had no problems with the sea worthyness of it,

But I did have a problem parking it, Hahahahaha which is being easily and quickly fixed,
One reason I am considering the Gemini is because it meets my minimum level of seaworthyness, not to mention how many of them are out there. On the other hand, in my opinion, both a Seawind 1000XL and a PDQ rate higher than a Gemini.

As for parking I have read a Seawind with its two engines has the ability to spin in its own length and basically move side ways to dock.

One of my biggest questions concerns boat speed. I have read two reviews of the Seawind, one claiming it is good in light airs and the other saying it's performance in light airs is poor. I know to some extent performance is based on how heavy the boat is but I would like to know what owners think. And not just about light air performance but any other issues owners of these boats think is worth mentioning.
Old 29-06-2012, 05:43   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I am still trying to figure which boat fits me best. Even though these boats are all catamarans they have big differences in abilities and price.

I like the shallow draft and kick up centerboard and rudder of the Gemini, and the price.

The PDQ seems to be a nicer boat with more room and maybe a little more seaworthy.

The Seawind is the most expensive and rightly so from what I have read.

There may be other boats as well, but these are what I will call popular boats that are for sale in numbers large enough to realistically find. Some trimarans also be considered.

If you ever plan to resell I think the Gemini would be the hardest. Just too many out there.

What I am looking for is a boat I will sail from Florida, where I live, to the Bahamas and perhaps South. Since I live in Florida I will also do coastal cruising there.

Any help welcome.
I would add Lagoon 380 to that list. I think there have been more of those produced than any other cat, and they are still making them.

From a resale stand point I would think the Gemini is the least attractive. Just TOO many out there.
Old 29-06-2012, 06:57   #5

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

PDQ's are great boats, we had one with outboards as our first catamaran. If I was to look agai I have seen the old Lagoon "TPI" as an interesting possibility. A seawind would be a definate possibility too. I do not think I would look at Gemini's , they don't look like they hold there shine as well.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 06:58   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

From a resale point, to dovetail on Doodles, I think if you get a decent price on any of those choices, there's always a good market for small cruising catamarans, even the Gemini (I get offers on mine all the time...no, it's not for sale!). So buy the one you like the most, and you can always sell it and try another. (We've had our Gemini since new in 2005. After 7 yrs of cruising, including 2 winter/springs in the Bahamas, we wouldn't consider another boat, unless we decide to do some serious bluewater cruising.)
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 07:11   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
One reason I am considering the Gemini is because it meets my minimum level of seaworthyness, not to mention how many of them are out there. On the other hand, in my opinion, both a Seawind 1000XL and a PDQ rate higher than a Gemini.

As for parking I have read a Seawind with its two engines has the ability to spin in its own length and basically move side ways to dock.

One of my biggest questions concerns boat speed. I have read two reviews of the Seawind, one claiming it is good in light airs and the other saying it's performance in light airs is poor. I know to some extent performance is based on how heavy the boat is but I would like to know what owners think. And not just about light air performance but any other issues owners of these boats think is worth mentioning.

We have owned a Gemini and 2 Seawind 1000's. Why two? Because they are such fine boats. The one we have now is 17 years old and in great structural and very good cosmetic shape. They have great ventilation so their layout is great for the tropics. The standard Seawind 1000 may have suffered from light wind performance, but the move up to the 1000xl or by adding your own stern extensions, bowsprit and screecher will greatly improve light air sailing. On a good point of sail we regularly see about 75-80% of true wind speed in light air. The sea motion is good as is maneuverability around docks.
The Gemini to us was a fun boat with a very livable interior. In my opinion not designed or built for blue water but a great coastal cruiser that if kept light has a decent turn of speed.
I've always wondered about the PDQ 36. It's one boat I would like to take a sail on as it has some great features. Twin outboards, great ventilation and a good layout, well built and from what I've heard a good turn of speed.
I'm biased towards the Seawind but think all three have some really desirable features.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 07:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I would add Lagoon 380 to that list. I think there have been more of those produced than any other cat, and they are still making them.

From a resale stand point I would think the Gemini is the least attractive. Just TOO many out there.
The Lagoon 380 has a price point a little higher than the other boats I listed probably because it is a little larger. Not to say it is not a good choice and I have looked at them on yachtworld.

The Gemini is clearly built to a price point below the other boats, but that is a double edge sword. You can get into a Gemini for less than the other boats. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get a Gunboat or one of the nice Chris White boats but I am trying to be realistic about the cost of buying and maintaining/cruising and my ability to come up with the coin of the realm to meet that cost.
Old 29-06-2012, 07:52   #9

Quote:
The Lagoon 380 has a price point a little higher than the other boats I listed probably because it is a little larger. Not to say it is not a good choice and I have looked at them on yachtworld.

The Gemini is clearly built to a price point below the other boats, but that is a double edge sword. You can get into a Gemini for less than the other boats. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get a Gunboat or one of the nice Chris White boats but I am trying to be realistic about the cost of buying and maintaining/cruising and my ability to come up with the coin of the realm to meet that cost.
I just took a look on soldboats.com and some 380's have sold between $150 & 200K recently so I wouldn't discount them too quickly. The problem with the Seawind's are there just aren't many for sale. And when one does show up it goes quickly and they aren't cheap.
Old 29-06-2012, 16:20   #10

Have you seen this one right here on CF? ...http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post980505
Old 29-06-2012, 20:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Have you seen this one right here on CF? ...http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post980505
Just looked at it. I have posted questions on some other forums about buying a boat outside the US.

While that does look like a good boat the fact that it is not in the US is something of an issue with me. The thread you linked to also has posts from someone in Aruba who seems interested in the boat but has had trouble emailing the seller.

I realize buying a boat is not all mia tias and Yahtzee but there are several other boats for sail in my home state of Florida that are probably more realistic options for me.
Old 29-06-2012, 20:56   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

No disrespect and acknowledging my obvious bias (see job title below and vessel photo to left), but I can literally sail rings around a 380. The Gem is a good little boat but in a slightly different class to the Seawind, the PDQ is a boat that I think I would like, but I have only stood on one and never sailed on. From all reports they are a good thing.

Any of the three boats you mention will be fine I suspect.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 00:20   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I should also be clear that when I discuss performance, its not necessarily about speed but its about the ability to point okay and to sail in light airs. I dont care too much if boats are quicker than me when I am doing 10 knots but I love being able to sail at 5 knots in 7 knots of Breeze, when most others are motoring.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 04:05   #14

Most folks would agree that is price was no concern a Seawind would be their choice. I will point out that the Gemini does has an advantage over the other boats in terms of shallow draft which can be important on the West Coast of Florida and in the Bahamas. You can also probably buy two or three Giminis for the price of a Seawind.

I completely agree with you about light air performance. As I posted earlier I have read some reviews of the Seawind, one said it had good light air performance and the other said it had poor light air performance.

I will be sailing on one next week and hopefully able to judge for myself. But comments from long term users are always helpful.
Old 30-06-2012, 05:18   #15

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Huge differences, We have looked at all 3 as well and ended going with a completly different Cat.
Geminis have shallow draft, but only counts if your out pushing her, imho. With the rudders up and drive leg up how controllable or sailable are they?
They are cheap, for a reason. Their prices are also dropping insanely fast due to the market being flooded with them, and their aesthetics.
I also dont care for their fit and finish. Also for a 34 cat it seems extremly small.

Seawinds are sweet fast boats, and incredibly seaworthy with great features. But not the best for extended living aboard due to tight quarters below. But a killer weekender or 3 for trips and really fun weekend sailing. One for sale in Marathon right now for 119k.

PDQ is nice,great fit and finish, great design, ease of systems maintenance, but tight on storage, and I cant picture trying to go forward on their sloped decks in rough weather. or having "Tipsy guests" trying to make their way to the bow.
other than that a good mix between the two I think, hold their value well and again Quality is awesome.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, pdq, Seawind