Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2008, 11:14   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I think you have to consider that most of your time will be spent at anchor or tied to the dock. Where would you rather be during those times? Below deck an hour or two per day or up where you can see the view and socialize with your guests and significant other? One of the reasons for buying a cat is so that you do not have to live down inside a cave.
That's my thinking on the matter. Choose the most comfortable arrangement that will be used MOST of the time - not just a minority of the time. Most of the time, cooking will be done dockside, or at anchor, as you point out. Personally, I prefer to be close to my first mate just in case some pressing need arises. Having someone within shouting distance (or at the very least to notice that I've perhaps done one of the dumb things that guys are prone to occasionally do when not wanting to ask for help as they should - and get ourselves in a bit of a twist) it's refreshing to know that we can see one another.

I figure the safest place for the kids in the event of a car crash would be in the boot, but the majority of the time I'd preference putting them in the back seat in clear view. I suppose I feel the same way about sending the first mate down into some deep dark hole out of sight. All things considered, I'd preference her being in clear view....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 20:51   #47

I've yet to see a bridgedeck cat where the hulls are "deep dark holes". Certainly on mine the hull the galley is in is openly connected to the bridgedeck, and the cook's head and shoulders are pretty much there in the saloon.

IMHO there's no right or wrong choice - it's a personal preference, based on what's important to you. My wife wanted plenty of bench space, and was perfectly happy with the idea of the galley being in the hull. It's still much more open and accessible to the cockpit than our old mono's galley was.

She also liked the idea of all the dirty dishes etc not being on display.

On a boat our size if the galley had been up, the chart table would have had to go in a hull. I think it's useful for the navigator to be able see the surroundings.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 00:16   #48

Boat: privilege 37
it would seem that if the boat is under 40' then its unaimous gally down
so this is realy a question for the cats 40-50'
and this will probely go on and on
some things to add that you may consider
for those of you in hot climate the addvantage to pass food out to the cockpit and let heat out has its merits
but in 4 years of living on our boat and crusing uk waters and north france we have had less than 20 meals outside including bbqs
so we spend most of our time in the saloon
we picked a subb 40 to ceep the cost down as most winter crusing is spent marina hopping
only +40 we get round hear are only passing through
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley