Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 04:19   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Front Cross Beam Cleats?

I have seen welded cleats on leopard cats pull off.

I recommend tying the lines directly around the beam and not bother with cleats. My boat is currently secured in this fashion for hurricane Matthew. Will report back.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:22   #17
Marine Service Provider

FYI my beam is glassed into the hull not bolted on and literally the strongest attachment to the hulls. Any cleat would be weaker than the full strength of the beam.
Old 07-10-2016, 13:31   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfish View Post
My front cross beam is made from an aluminum mast section. The builder through bolted the cleat in the center, with an aluminum backing plate inside. How he positioned the plate and held the nuts while tightening I have yet to figure out, since it was about 9 FEET down the tube.

Anybody know what sort of trick might have been used?
Drill the beam for the cleat's bolts, then invert it so that the holes face the ground. Insert the backing plate with an indexed tool. One with witness marks, so as to correctly position the plate. Put the cleats in place on the beam, along with their bolts. Add the nuts to the inside of the beam via a custom, indexed tool, which also acts as a fixed wrench for them. And tighten the bolts externally with a standard wrench.

Note; when I say an indexed tool, to make it you can do something as simple as to take a plece of flat aluminum stock. Machine hexagonal holes into it for the nuts, with the holes spaced to match the cleat's footprint. Followed by adding another piece of aluminum over the backside of the holes, to keep them from being pushed out when you're lining them up blind. And then add precise witness marks to this (DIY) "fixed wrench's" handle, so that it lines the nuts up perfectly with the holes in the beam when it's inserted.

Also, I'd build this fixed wrench to be thick enough so that it barely fits into the beam in the vertical direction. Or rather, that thick primarily underneath of the nuts. So that when it's slid into the beam the nuts are already lightly pressed up against the pre-positioned backing plate. That way it'll take very few turns of the bolts before they begin to grab the threads in the nuts, thus pulling everything together.

Though along with making the head of the fixed wrench the correct thickness to hold the nuts at the proper vertical distance. You might have to use a another trick or three in order to keep it pressed up against the inside of the beam. Be that temporary solid shims slipped into place underneath of it, an inflatable bladder used to add pressure, or a lever, etc. And to some degree gravity will be assisting you, as the beam will still be oriented such that the holes in it are facing downwards.

And if you wanted to get fancy, you could add a remote or fiber optic camera inside of the beam to help you with positioning things at some points during the assembly.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 13:37   #19
Marine Service Provider

I just slid a double backing plate of the same section in and used my Mazda car jack to push it into place with a long furring strip nailed to the jack eyelet.

Drilled and tapped the beam and doubler for heilicoils. Holds the head stay and seagull striker on 4 5/16" machine screws.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:43   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Drill the beam for the cleat's bolts, then invert it so that the holes face the ground...
Might be a little awkward, with the beam attached to the boat.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:40   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Might be a little awkward, with the beam attached to the boat.
Ahh, no worries, Gord! After all, it is a catamaran, so it will likely be upside down soon enough...

Jim
Old 09-10-2016, 07:38   #22

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I would not put cleats on the crossbeam, not designed for it.....put the cleat on the bows with backing plates, they will hold force in all directions.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 18:15   #23

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44

Thanks to all for the cautionary info - have scrapped the crossbeam mounting idea and will go with Cotemar's method of bow mounting them.

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I just slid a double backing plate of the same section in and used my Mazda car jack to push it into place with a long furring strip nailed to the jack eyelet.

Drilled and tapped the beam and doubler for heilicoils. Holds the head stay and seagull striker on 4 5/16" machine screws.
This is is my favorite type of engineering! Well done!

Tell me you weren't thinking of ways to use a nut rather than tapping....
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 06:19   #25

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

This is how we set up our bow cleats.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2238195
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 08:08   #26

Question....

What is considered "light use only" for the crossbeam bow cleats?

The Leopard 44 we just chartered only had 2 "real" bow cleats....I've never used the crossbeam bow cleats just because.

Thanks.

Tags
cleats