Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: A Multihull friendly marina
Yes 3 60.00%
No 2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 16:17   #31

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
so instead of chargeing monos higher rates what about charging equal rates insted of one higher than the otherbut lliveaboards (both kinds) were welcomed insted of screamed at?
Old 01-07-2008, 20:03   #32

Boat: Privilege 39
We're in a marina with mostly monohulls, though there are quite a few multi's here, and they had no problem finding room for us - nor are multi-unfriendly in any way. Not every marina we checked into had space for us. That's fine - it's not like we are entitled to have room just because a monohull could fit. Do we pay more than a monohull of the same length? Yep, we do! We also take up a heck of a lot more space!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 20:23   #33

Interestig all the ones I looked at about 100 or so of em either didnt have space for multis, charged alot higher rates for multis that were small enough to fit in a mono slip than anything, or just plain didn't like multis at all.
Old 01-07-2008, 21:50   #34

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I think whether or not there are cats or monos is not the selling point...

And whether or not there are all live aboards or just some doesn't matter...

What matters is customer service.

We pay OUT THE NOSE for our slip at a lovely marina. BUT the live aboards here are treating like third class citizens. We are the ones who go around on a Sunday evening and pick up trash and poop after the weekenders have left. We don't have clutter on the docks or around the property. We LIVE here and so we all make an extra effort to have it be clean and safe. We all help each other out and report to the marina the minute something is amiss.

YET - god forbid my son pick a flower from the gardens and the marina owner's wife/gardener comes screeching out on her broomstick saying we're "not allowed to touch the dirt or plants". Or if there is an ice storm the dock master and his helpers are on their keister in the dock office all day watching TV while the live aboard are out risking their behinds salting and scraping the docks.

Make sure you treat your slip holders like paying customers, not floating trailer trash.

(Schooner-dog's hijacking wife)
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 23:34   #35

Trust me if I do this seeings how i will probably also have a boat there tha customers would be treated with the utmost courtesy and any reports would be investigated and any caught neglecting their job if hired will probly be fired for not doing what they were sposed to. so I think it would be a good marina. ( I wouldn't care if someone wanted to pick a flower i'll just plant more).
Old 02-07-2008, 04:49   #36

Funny thread for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
I will personally put you on vacation
Thomas
Cruiser's Forum Moderator
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:30   #37

Boat: 1977 Kelly Peterson 44
Wow, so daddy is going to finance a marina for you which you'll run specifically for multis AND according to another thread he's going to buy you a big fat charter cat for you to also run. All at 16 years of age! Wow, cool! Hey, I have my master's license... mabye I could run the charter boat with you as crew in training until you get your license. I think a charter buisness on the Georgia coast would be a huge money maker.
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:41   #38

HAHA they are seperate plans for if i don't get one i might get the other=(
Old 02-07-2008, 12:13   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
You obviously have no idea of cost of a marina. You have to buy waterfront property for a start. That would cost 10's or even 100's of millions of dollars for the square area you need. You then need to build the marina and the infra structure required to support the marina. Thats another few hundred mill and that is all before you ever get one fee paying boat in there. So now your daddy is out of pocket several hundred million dollars. Then to top it all off, want to be picky about what boats go in there.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:45   #40
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The BAIT remark was directed to SNEUMAN for making the remark of REAL YACHTIES. Of course everyone knows that monos are the only true yachts...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...even I have a sense of humor
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:58   #41

Boat: 1977 Kelly Peterson 44
Do you even have a job little dude???
Probably still on allowance... need to go flip some burgers or clean some bottoms to gain some perspective on the value of a dollar.
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 13:05   #42
Kai Nui

Otter, I have watched your posts, and you seem like a bright kid. You have a great advantage that your parents will allow you to participate in the development of business ventures. Unfortunately, you seem to have very grandiose, and bordering on, unrealistic plans.
May I suggest that you pick a goal, and focus on learning about the minute details of how to accomplish that goal. Be it a charter business, or a marina, utilizing the vast amount of knowledge on this site may help you realize that goal. Throwing out suppositions, and character judgments about people, places, or types of boats, is not the most effective way to learn. Asking questions that will take you to the next step in the learning process might be more effective. I welcome your participation here on that level.
After spending much of my life on, in or around boats, I can tell you what I know is far smaller than what I have yet to learn. I would not be so bold as to tell others what to think or feel, or even what is better for their personal situation, but only to suggest, from my own experiences, what has worked for me. I think you might find this approach more fun, as well as better received.
Old 02-07-2008, 13:26   #43

alright Kai I see what you mean and I have been thinking and I think i'll just stick to trying to get the boat so have fun. =)
Old 02-07-2008, 14:17   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
If we could rearrange the coastline just a little bit, I could go for a marina that charged by the square foot, had a 30' WIDE travelift, ground storage 10' above the worst storm surge, public transportation to a major airport, a motel, marine store, and DIY shop, nestled in a tree-shrouded craggy fjord, somewhere on the ICW in the Carolinas. Cheap. I would also like to be 16 (for the first time, not the fourth) with an allowance and no curfew!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 22:05   #45

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
You know --- one thing that this thread, and LIttle Otter, made me do is pause --- there are so many "truths" and "this is how it is" in life that we reach a point where we accept that as so. Sometimes it is good to tilt at a windmill or question the paradigm or wonder about things that "can't be" for obvious reasons. Sometimes these things bring great new changes to our world.

Just wanted to share that I like that this thread made me ponder a bit, made me smile at the audacity and confidence of youth (and secretly wish I still had more of it), and admire/respect the manner in which all members who engaged stayed professional and appropriate.

Tags
marinas