Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 15:53   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
FP Steering station distance from winches

Would anyone who has experienced the FP steering station design where the wheel is remote from the winches, (one has to leave the wheel and walk around to the winches to adjust), care to comment on the real world practicality of this design the new generation of FP are quite attractive but I just wonder about the above setup, maybe the design has advantages I cant see, some one who owns one or has some experience hiring one may like to provide a opinion on pros and cons of this design I would love to know why FP have gone with this steering station design, (the other two haven't) the rep assures me it is safer, the sheets are clear of the wheel as one winds them in well fair enough I agree, or is it the complicated design of the split level floor, the connectivity between the upper sun bathing area via the two access ladders, and the exit point to the starboard side upper level leave FP no option but to have this design. I really like the new generation of FP designs I can easily reach the sail bag, (something that you have to do every time you go sailing) the built in ladder makes it safe and easy to access the sail bag, the over all design is very good in my view I think the sailing ability from what I have read is about normal in line with the big three cruisers, but that steering station design?
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 16:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: FP Steering station distance from winches

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
I would love to know why FP have gone with this steering station design, (the other two haven't)By the other two I presume you mean L&L? Just because the big three charter barge manufacturers do or do dont do something doesn't mean it is the right way.
Quote:
the rep assures me it is safer, the sheets are clear of the wheel as one winds them in well fair enough I agree, or is it the complicated design of the split level floor, the connectivity between the upper sun bathing area via the two access ladders, and the exit point to the starboard side upper level leave FP no option but to have this design.
You have answered your own question here, the design is from the inside out, not the outside in, i.e. the design is based on the use at anchor not the use under way. The big three tend to have all moved to boats that are designed around accommodation and then put a stick somewhere. As for the rep, well he clearly hasnt gone to sea for more than a minute. Any design that requires you to go up and down stairs to do basic sailing manoeuvres is silly, and any design that cant be sailed from the helm in testing conditions is dangerous
Quote:
. the I really like the new generation of FP designs I can easily reach the sail bag, (something that you have to do every time you go sailing) the built in ladder makes it safe and easy to access the sail bag,
Really? Climbing a ladder to access a sailbag. maybe safe in harbour of calm anchorages,
Quote:
the sailing ability from what I have read is about normal in line with the big three cruisers,
In other words - fairly ordinary.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 16:31   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

You can always turn on the autopilot when you want to perform some sail trim. Not saying that’s necessarily a good thing, but being away from the wheel for short moments is usually not a big deal.

On most passages you will be using the autopilot 100% anyway, except for those times you want to play or possibly in storm conditions.

Factor has the right of it regarding that particular design though.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 17:41   #4

Hi factor and fxykty, Factor I don't know how else they provide safe access to the sail bag, one has to reef, or drop the sail, having experienced a few nice downwind sails in around 20 odd knots then turning in to the wind to drop the sail turns a smooth ride in to something akin to riding a bucking bronco, whilst one does not have to pack the sail neatly at that point prior to entering a protected harbour the sail still needs to be made secure so safe access to the main is essential, the Lagoon 42, and the Lagoon 45 Sport Top all have ladder access as well as the new FP range, when my Lagoon 400 first arrived the first thing I had fitted was a step below the mast and a flaming great handle on the mast to hang on to. Factor, looks like you agree with my thoughts they have designed it that way to allow for the over all design. fxykty I agree re auto pilot, exactly what I do however lets say the pilot just died you need to tack in 25 knots things can go wrong very quickly, the design on the Lagoon, Leopard, one can control all vital things at the same time, when tacking on a rough day I have my foot controlling the electric winch my hands controlling a nice turn and feeding the sheet, bit like playing the piano. Factor, as far as ordinary goes I guess that would be spot on compared to a performance craft, but the big three are cruising types with the main design brief being comfort and ease of handling, you are going to see 7 to 8 knots on most days I have seen 10 knots on occasions (scary). Anyway chaps I am close to ordering a new FP to be announced at Canne in two weeks time all very hush hush model, my question was to those who have had some time sailing FP models with the FP unique steering set up, its the only thing that might stop me writing out the cheque, I was hoping there will be some positive thoughts from those that have some experience on type. (but on the surface I don't like it much)
Old 05-09-2018, 17:51   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

Sailed a Helia. Not my favorite helm. Lines and winches separated from the helm made it hard to single hand. Also didn’t appreciate having to walk around the helm to access the side deck. The right side of the helm really needs a “gate”. I could get used to the design. Just not as practical as a normal bulkhead helm. Others will disagree. Besides that I liked the boat. Cheers
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 18:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathlesschosen View Post
Sailed a Helia. Not my favorite helm. Lines and winches separated from the helm made it hard to single hand. Also didn’t appreciate having to walk around the helm to access the side deck. The right side of the helm really needs a “gate”. I could get used to the design. Just not as practical as a normal bulkhead helm. Others will disagree. Besides that I liked the boat. Cheers
Hi there pathlesschosen, That starboard side could be improved with a gate but it does have some safety benefits being fixed on a stormy rough night. A part solution could include fitting a set of duplicated winch switches at the wheel not hard to do according my local sparky, those new Harken reversible electric winches would be handy if fitted, may go a long way to solve the problem the FP design creates, however one must question the wisdom of trying to correct a flawed design if it is flawed, not to mention the cost.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:50   #7

One reason we scratched the Helia off our shortlist.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:52   #8

While FPs are my favorite boat line, I DO prefer the helm setup of the Leopards since I tend to be the only one "sailing" even when I have friends on board. For a crew, the spread out nature of the FPs can be an advantage as you aren't in each other's way when steering and handling lines. This wouldn't be an obstacle for me to buy one since once I'm at that point, I anticipate having an autopilot assist my tacks and it will be a non issue 99% of the time.

Personally, I would hate a gate on the starboard side as I see being locked in as a bluewater safety feature and it's not that much of a detour to access that side.

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with a ladder to access the boom when for me, a much more dangerous layout is a high boom on a flybridge setup. When things go bad and that mainsail has to come down, a lower boom is the only option for me. I think FP nailed the sweet spot between safety and still having a small roof deck setup here.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:37   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have sailed various FPs and never had an issue. The trick is using the AP, much like single-handing a monohull. Granted I have a long “wing span”, but even shorter guys should not have an issue tacking them.

I LOVE the FP Helia’s throttle set up for docking. Tie the wheel off (so it does not move) stand on the side deck, facing the stern and the throttles are right there. On the Lucia you can do the same, but need to reach in to get to the throttles. If you are tying up to starboard, you are one step to the rail. Sweet!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 16:38   #10

My wife and I have been cruising/living aboard a FP Saona for the last 10 months. We have sailed over 9,000 miles, in various conditions.

The FP helm setup is really great. I have had no problem managing the sails.
andrew520675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering, winch