Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2007, 12:57   #1

FP or Lagoon Delivery to West Coast

Hi,

I'm getting close to making a decision and the delivery fee has come up. The prices I've been told state that they include delivery to the east coast of US, but to get it to the west coast its another $56K, which is 25K more than i was told 2 weeks ago. Perhaps the broker made an error when we first spoke, but I just want to do a sanity check with the folks here.

For background I'm still debating between FP and lagoon but we're talking about the 36-40ft range.

Thanks!
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 13:01   #2

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I'll do it for $2 per mile plus expenses, Have CV and references, have done the trip manyt times. Happy for a newbie owner to come along for all or part of the trip.
dana-tenacity@usa.net
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 13:06   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
In mid 2003, the charge to have my 43' FP delivered by freighter to Vancouver, BC. was $50K US so $56 to Ca in today's dollars doesn't sound too far off the mark. I did think that my cost was very high at the time, though.

John
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 13:30   #4

I see you are in San Jose. I delivered Jitterbug (Catana 431) from the factory in France to the Bay Area a few years back, believe she's still there and the owners are active with BAMA. Definitely cheaper than what you are looking at, but the boat will definitely have run up some miles by the time you arrive, but then that's what boats are for.
Old 19-03-2007, 13:52   #5

Boat: Maine Cat 41
My MaineCat 41 goes on the ship at the end of the week in Port Everglades for Victoria BC. Shipping via YachtPath for well under $30k (with 90 prepayment in full discount). Mast up as deck cargo. Well under what Dockwise quoted to Ensenada alone. After calculating delivery expenses (crew/fuel/stores/canal/and wear & tear) I figured this was a better deal all around.

Besides, I didn't have that trip on my top 10 list of things I most wanted to do. I really wanted to do the Bahamas (did that) and then spend a long season in the NW. I'll barely have time to drive Fl to Wash and get situated before she'll show up there in about 3 wks time.

I'll let you know how it works out.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 16:37   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull addict
Hi,

I'm getting close to making a decision and the delivery fee has come up. The prices I've been told state that they include delivery to the east coast of US, but to get it to the west coast its another $56K, which is 25K more than i was told 2 weeks ago. Perhaps the broker made an error when we first spoke, but I just want to do a sanity check with the folks here.

For background I'm still debating between FP and lagoon but we're talking about the 36-40ft range.

Thanks!
Maybe he heard about the Cat that washed ashore here just recently, with three crew lost.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 13:12   #7

Any joy making the decision?
Old 27-03-2007, 19:01   #8

No joy yet. We're still in "research" mode. Strictly Sail is next monthand we want to attend and see numerous boats before we make a final decision.

I appreciate the responses and the offer.
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 19:57   #9

Good luck, I'm jealous, after that trip on the Catana I'm in love with these big cats, that's why I'm working a real job again for a while.
Old 12-04-2007, 17:54   #10

Boat: Morgan Nelson / Marek 36
I just had a Catana delivered from Ft. Pierce Florida to Channel Islands, California. Delivery on its own bottom was cheaper than trucking and float on / off container ship. But yes it does take a toll on the boat, get good insurance, even though I had a rider for a one time trip from Florida to California the insurance company rescinded my policy when I presented a claim.
West Coast Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 02:31   #11

We got the boat from the factory in France to San Fran, it definitely put some miles on it but the owner bought it to go cruising and relished the opportunity to gain some experience and got two weeks with his family in Antigua to boot.
Only real damage was a busted daggerboard which was covered by factory warranty. But I felt really bad seeing all that expensive carbon drifting out the back of the boat. Sailed on no worries with the remaining board. Must admit I was very impressed with the Catana, we left with less than 3 hours sailing time on the boat and sailed nonstop to Antigua without a worry. ood boat.
I'm serious about looking for another delivery, we moved ashore a couple of years ago and I have a job now, but it's great to get away occasionally, and since the NZ dollar is way under the US I'm cheap, even with the airfare chucked in.( work out $2.00 per mile in NZ dollars then convert).
End result, if you want a shiny new boat on the dock ship it. If you want to save a few bucks and have an adventure sail it. IMHO.
Old 13-04-2007, 04:53   #12
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I was qouted $12k last year from the the factory in La rechelle France to palm beach ., Fl
Im so happy I decided to take it my self, I ended up geting side tracked into the Med where I think I will stay for a few years longer.

It would be a shame to miss some of the best crusing grounds in the world by having the boat shipped!
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote