Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 01:06   #1

Boat: Hobbie Getaway 5m
Fountaine Pajot Marquises 56 2001 model opinion

Hi

I would like to seek advice / opinion from fellow catamaran experienced sailors on FP Marquises 56 2001 model (owner version). I found one within my prce range however personally do not have sailed this particular model. I would like to know
- the wave slapping experience in usual sea conditions (though all Catamarans have slapping based on sea conditions).
- parts availability (how easy and widely available) of this particular model
- Cabin space compare to other FP models or other similar size cats.
- upwind sail ability ( how much close to wind one can sail)
- build quality compare to similar cats, mast and other standing riggle strength

Lastly in general if this model is worth buying or any other better brand / model to consider for comparison.

(I m looking to buy a Cat for offshore cruising and ocean crossings, I would like to request the replies focused on the topic I dont mean to start a brand war etc. thanks in advance)
Old 05-12-2018, 07:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Fountaine Pajot Marquises 56 2001 model opinion

I had a chance to sail briefly Marquises 56 and did some work on her. The owner actually is in the forum (Palarran) and he may answer with more details.
It's a great boat, much lighter (light she should be around 12-13 tons) than I would have thought and sail great. Easy to sail shorthanded with a self tacking gib and semi elevated helm station.
We were in relatively quite waters but the bridge deck clearance was pretty well hence I don't think she would slam frequently.

If you can find a good kept one, I wouldn't hesitate at all to take her for offshore cruising. We did quite a bit of work on the one we had here, but didn't find any structural defect or damage althought she was from 2003 or 2004 and was exposed to heavy weathers and sea while crossing the Ocean.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 14:28   #3

I believe Palarran is for sale......

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-204234.html
Old 05-12-2018, 22:44   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Hello Harry. I put my thoughts in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-AU View Post
Hi

I would like to seek advice / opinion from fellow catamaran experienced sailors on FP Marquises 56 2001 model (owner version). I found one within my prce range however personally do not have sailed this particular model. I would like to know
- the wave slapping experience in usual sea conditions (though all Catamarans have slapping based on sea conditions).
It depends on how much diesel and fresh water I have. Standard diesel tanks for a Marquises is 150 gallons but we have an extra 100 in two seperate tanks. Fresh water is 300 gallons so if everything is full you have 550 gallons at 8.34 = 4600 pounds. There is a lot of clearance but the weight doesn't help.
- parts availability (how easy and widely available) of this particular model
Pretty much zero from FP. Most of the other parts are either standard or custom built.
- Cabin space compare to other FP models or other similar size cats.
I think it's huge and almost everyone who comes aboard says the same.
- upwind sail ability ( how much close to wind one can sail)
I'm going with average on this. It's better than some and worse then some.
- build quality compare to similar cats, mast and other standing riggle strength
I haven't had a serious structural problem but have done a ton of work to make it that way. The boats done three Atlantic crossings and I've personally gone around 22,000nm without one critical thing breaking.

Lastly in general if this model is worth buying or any other better brand / model to consider for comparison.
For various reasons I'm going to sell mine. But if it takes 3 years that's ok because all I'm doing is going from a sailboat to a trawler (Nordhavn or such) anyway which is big bucks. If I was staying with a cat, I'd either keep the Marquises, go to a Eleuthera, or a Privilege Series 5. Maybe a Catana 582 or St. Francis 50. But most of these cost about $300 to $500k more.

(I m looking to buy a Cat for offshore cruising and ocean crossings, I would like to request the replies focused on the topic I dont mean to start a brand war etc. thanks in advance)
I think there are only 2 Marquises for sail on Yachtworld right now. The one in the Seychelles has been listed since I bought Palarran 8 years ago. I'd give a wild guess that it's going to take $200k minimum to get her back in shape, maybe more ($300). The one in Curaçao is a little better and is the owners version. I'd still guess that it will need new standing rigging, generator, motors, etc. It would be easy to see spending $100 to $150k on this boat.
Old 06-12-2018, 19:30   #5

Boat: Hobbie Getaway 5m

Hi

Thank you very much for your replies providing valuable information especially coming from someone who owns and have sailed through seas.

Regards,
Harry

Tags
fountaine pajot, model