Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2022, 09:37   #391
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Fast Cruising Catamarans - How Fast ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Thanks SMJ.

As an aside, the night before I left Hampton, a TRT 1200 sport pulled into the anchorage. Three guys from Newfoundland. I was leaving the next morning, and they had just arrived, so we didn't get a chance to talk. They just stopped by on their way to the anchorage to say hello.

I didn't take note of the name of the boat, as I was preoccupied with getting ready to leave. But I'll send it to you when I see it next.

Cheers.
Paul.

Sounds great, appreciate it. Always nice to hear of sisterships especially when sightings are rare!
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:04   #392

Boat: Lagoon 380

Max and average of my 38' condomaram from Panama to Brisbane. Max in 15 knots wind TWS, (TWA 170dgr) down a wave with mainsail backing against the preventer and spinnaker backing against spi-pole and furled genoa. With TWA 120 and 25 to 28 knots wind, we do something between 13 and 16 knots through water, full main and genoa sheeted to spring clamp. - folding props and clean bottoms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stillehav.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	267167  
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:27   #393

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'm not sure what you mean there..

Did you say you sailed at 18.8 knots in 15 knots of wind at 170 TWA? Does that make the awa somewhere around 10 degrees off the bow? On a run?

You're saying you surfed fast enough to backwind both the main and the spinnaker? On waves generated by 15 knots of wind?

That's quite a surf you had there.

Would you mind re-writing that first part to clarify?

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:46   #394

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Max and average of my 38' condomaram from Panama to Brisbane. Max in 15 knots wind TWS, (TWA 170dgr) down a wave with mainsail backing against the preventer and spinnaker backing against spi-pole and furled genoa. With TWA 120 and 25 to 28 knots wind, we do something between 13 and 16 knots through water, full main and genoa sheeted to spring clamp. - folding props and clean bottoms.
Middle height, on the RHS of your screen shot. I can't imagine how uncomfortable the equipment is to measure this, is this just a personal record or is it for the whole crew.

I even tried looking it up, what is it ?

I'm looking forward to the adds I get now because I looked it up 🙂
Old 10-11-2022, 10:55   #395

Boat: Mumby 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Middle height, on the RHS of your screen shot. I can't imagine how uncomfortable the equipment is to measure this, is this just a personal record or is it for the whole crew.

I even tried looking it up, what is it ?

I'm looking forward to the adds I get now because I looked it up 🙂
I was the expecting the lagoon to be more of the silent but deadly type....
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:01   #396

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post

Using your 6.3 average this gives a daily run of 150Nm that would be comparable to slightly larger (longer) monohull 40-45ft or thereabouts.

It takes a lot to keep up average speeds over any distance.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:26   #397

Boat: Leopard 40

Love this Gunboat video…

https://youtu.be/h2kIx1QT_xA
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:28   #398

Boat: Edel 35

if you want to see the hour to hour reality of how fast cruising cats sail, head over to the Route du Rhum tracker https://www.routedurhum.com/en .
Select the Rhum Multi class and check each boat . The tracker shows wind speed and direction, wave condition,currents, boat speed, VMG, 24h totals, etc. Well known skippers on Outremer, Marsaudon, daily totals in the 200nm+, speeds in the 8-10kts range . Performance boats just means they can sail better in light winds, provided they're not overloaded.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 08:13   #399

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Love this Gunboat video…

https://youtu.be/h2kIx1QT_xA
I do too. But notice the mono fall off without trimming. And then immediately resuming course and head reaching across the wake.

I'm sure the GB wins overall but the vid is a teeny bit misleading.
Old 13-11-2022, 11:27   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I do too. But notice the mono fall off without trimming. And then immediately resuming course and head reaching across the wake.

I'm sure the GB wins overall but the vid is a teeny bit misleading.

I did notice that everyone on the GB was nice n dry
Old 13-11-2022, 21:44   #401

Boat: Edel 35

Quote:

I did notice that everyone on the GB was nice n dry

yes, that's the purpose of promo videos, all looks just perfect. Makes you drool, mmm, 30+kts boats, that's performance cruising.

Speaking of nice n dry, a Marsaudon just capsized in the Route du Rhum while it was doing about 11kts in 20kts wind. The video doesn't look as good as the GB :
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 03:58   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatLove View Post
yes, that's the purpose of promo videos, all looks just perfect. Makes you drool, mmm, 30+kts boats, that's performance cruising.

Speaking of nice n dry, a Marsaudon just capsized in the Route du Rhum while it was doing about 11kts in 20kts wind. The video doesn't look as good as the GB :
For every video, news story or picture of an upside down cat there are as many of missing, upside down or keel less mono’s, so it is pretty pointless posting them.

As for promo videos, yip, awesome to look at.

Cruising at 30 kts….I very much doubt anyone(responsible) will ever do that in a mono or a cat. Besides the obvious dangers it would be as uncomfortable as hell in any boat in even a slight sea.
Old 14-11-2022, 05:22   #403

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Cruising at 30 kts….I very much doubt anyone(responsible) will ever do that in a mono or a cat. Besides the obvious dangers it would be as uncomfortable as hell in any boat in even a slight sea.

Very few people, especially mono sailors, know how loud sailing fast is. A multihull capable of sustained high speeds will be minimalist inside with at most faired internals as opposed to trimmed panelling and headlining, no heavy wood floors, doors or trims, so they act like a huge sounding boxes. Sailing in high teens for any length of time while cruising becomes very tiring. Great if there is a large crew and the intention is to go fast. Most cruisers of performance cats tend to limit passage speeds to around 10knots which gives reasonable 200Nm days.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 05:26   #404
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fast Cruising Catamarans - How Fast ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
On my way to Charleston, from Hampton VA last week, I had some 18 knots surfs, not my fastest, but fun. Before that, I took a video of GRIT surfing at 16.5 knots. It looks on the video just as sedate as it felt in real life.

https://youtu.be/ekqoziUeRpc

That was a single handed trip, 407 miles in 48 hours. Not a record, but pretty respectable.

Single reef in the main, code zero.

Cheers.
Paul.
Had a few 18kt surfs going down the W Portuguese coast delivering a Catalac 900... scared the crap outa me..
No main, 1/3rd Genoa..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

A Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 05:47   #405

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Aqfishing:

I think posting about an upturned cat, is appropriate, in a thread about sailing cats fast, and am not sensitive to it at all. It's not old news, and I saw no malice in the post (he sails a cat too); it just happened recently, and they were racing after all. It's not like it's a mom and pop out for a Sunday sail; and if it were, I'd still want to know why and how they flipped. I prefer to garner my knowledge from other's mistakes, rather than my own.

11 knots, close hauled, in those seas is fast, and a handful to helm. It wouldn't take much of a mistake to end up in trouble, when pushing the limits.

It can happen, and for owners of performance cats, it's something we can learn from; if we can get the details.

I don't see any reason to be sensitive about posting upturned cats; sticks and stones, and all that. For a performance cat, it's a possibility; for a performance cat being pushed to it's limits, the chances go up dramatically.

Nobody blinked an eye when Fujin turned over. He was pushing the limits.

Racing is racing, and anything is possible.

I appreciate seeing what can happen, it helps me keep my foot "off the gas". Thanks Catlove, for posting.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
cruising