Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2009, 14:04   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
You would put a boat like this into charter? My, aren't you trusting.

ID
No charter! Then i will buy a leopard or lagoon...

Dont you think you can live good at a TS50, and i will not go arc for a winter holiday. As i said, we will own it from a company and then we are a couple of guys who can sail it some weeks. And at summertime we will go longer distances...
Old 15-08-2009, 18:07   #32
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I love this coffee cup I got at a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Restaurant. It says "Dream, But don't quit your Day Job" Dreams vs. Reality

Good Luck with your dream
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 02:05   #33

Boat: Valiant 50
With one or two small modifications, here is your perfect Fast Cruiser and for sure it will easily do 25 kts.

Old 16-08-2009, 03:15   #34

Boat: Seawind 1000, 10 m catamaran - Serrano
Last October I bought Peccadillo, a Chris White Atlantic 46 MkII (which I think must be American for 48, as its a 48 footer!). Top speed so far is 21 kn, easy to get 17-18 if the wind is up. Expect we'll get to 24+ when we've got things sorted. Averaged 12 kn on Bass Strait crossing (Melbourne to Launceston, dock to dock). Very seaworthy fast cruiser. Some thoughts about sailing fast in the ocean:

- you can only go as fast as the wind lets you and mostly its lighter than you want (even down here!)
- to go fast you have to sail her fast, which takes energy and concentration and committed crew
- when you go fast you will break things or at least wear them out quicker
- a cat will not go fast if it is overweight, so make sure it is built light and kept light
- lie down in the bow of a motorboat at 18 kn and listen to the noise just from the water as that's what it will sound like in the hulls at speed; its a buzz, but its not relaxing!
- as all multihullers know, you can leave your coffee on the table and it won't spill; except when you get going real fast you will hit the occasional wave real hard and everything will get thrown about including people.

So I love my boat and I love the speed and you can throttle back if it gets too tiring, and I'm re-doing the rig to get more speed in lighter winds, but just remember to be realistic about the stresses involved to your crew and your vessel.
Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 05:08   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
I love this coffee cup I got at a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Restaurant. It says "Dream, But don't quit your Day Job" Dreams vs. Reality

Good Luck with your dream
Thanks,

I will dream little more then we will see if the dream is a good idea.

If i had a restaurant i should write....

Don´t just dream do it....
Old 16-08-2009, 05:14   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrano View Post
Last October I bought Peccadillo, a Chris White Atlantic 46 MkII (which I think must be American for 48, as its a 48 footer!). Top speed so far is 21 kn, easy to get 17-18 if the wind is up. Expect we'll get to 24+ when we've got things sorted. Averaged 12 kn on Bass Strait crossing (Melbourne to Launceston, dock to dock). Very seaworthy fast cruiser. Some thoughts about sailing fast in the ocean:

- you can only go as fast as the wind lets you and mostly its lighter than you want (even down here!)
- to go fast you have to sail her fast, which takes energy and concentration and committed crew
- a cat will not go fast if it is overweight, so make sure it is built light and kept light
- lie down in the bow of a motorboat at 18 kn and listen to the noise just from the water as that's what it will sound like in the hulls at speed; its a buzz, but its not relaxing!
- as all multihullers know, you can leave your coffee on the table and it won't spill; except when you get going real fast you will hit the occasional wave real hard and everything will get thrown about including people.

So I love my boat and I love the speed and you can throttle back if it gets too tiring, and I'm re-doing the rig to get more speed in lighter winds, but just remember to be realistic about the stresses involved to your crew and your vessel.
Sounds nice. And it is also after this summer in a 65f bruce roberts, who need to use the 170 hp engine everytime the wind went down. And a topspeed at 13 knots this summer. It was nice, but everything went so slow, you could not trim the rig because you could not see/feel any difference. So one reason to have a fast catamaran is also as the "Barrocan" the aus schionning owners say(Who have 2xHonda 50 outboards). You can sail in light winds and dont use the engine so much.

And you can always reef and take it slow....
Old 17-12-2009, 00:57   #37

Boat: Bob Oram Design, 44C, 13.5m -
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
you can use your plotter with ais and radar, then you see "everything"

When do you put your 44C in the water???? looks so good....
Good Day Joakim,

Sorry I missed this way back, I am hoping to launch mid 2010. Our version will be the motorsailer, that is up to 12knots under power and similar with the twin head-sail rig under under sail.

If you are still interested in a fast cruising concept with a little more carrying capacity, Bob Oram has new 48C and 52C designs (not on his web site yet). They have a single sheer/chamfer panels design and the 48C will be 14.8m @ displacement of <7000KG.

This would probably meet your criteria at a very good cost.

All the best with your plans.
scrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 02:46   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrano View Post
Last October I bought Peccadillo, a Chris White Atlantic 46 MkII. . . Some thoughts about sailing fast in the ocean:

This is one of the best, most realistic and pragmatic summaries of cruising on 'fast' boats I have ever read.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 15:14   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
After sailing with a monohull from Rotterdam-Stockholm, the monohull was a 65f. Even the owner of the mono said, never more a mono.

I want a fast and fun sailcatamaran.

So my list is like this without any order.

Outremer 55 Light (2000-2003)
Freydis 49 (used) Tournier have one Freydis 50 Race for sale now.
TS 50 (used, one for sale now)
Aerofleet 45 the new with roof, very light boat waiting for info from builder.

Did i miss any boat?
Sailed a lot on a Outremer 55L that was rigged for speed. We did 4 trips up and down the east coast and then over to the Med. She's fast, nimble, accelerates quickly, strong, but not the most comfortable cruiser. She can be a wet ride, but she strikes a majestic pose through the water. Also- I've been onboard when the rig went over the side, but that's a different issue.
Roc Chambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 14:43   #40

Boat: Outremer 45 catamaran
I have a part share in an Outremer 45 and won the Scottish Islands Peaks race in Gale conditions last year. The Scottish Islands Peaks Race She is fast, seaworthy and comfortable. There were 47 entries and 16 finishers; our average speeds were around 8kts easily beating j-Boats. We could have gone more quickly, peaking then at around 18 kts and averaging 12 or more but risking damage in heavy seas. If you want to do 20kt passges you are going to have to spend a fortune, keep it even lighter (our runners had a shower after each run) and avoid sleep or rest as well as risking damage. We have managed a 14kt passage over 3 hours. But crossing oceans at speed is risky and demands compromise AND expense. I am delighted with our choice and have cruised from France to Scotland and to the St Kilda archipelago in a light fast and seaworthy boat that is very comfortable
bairdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 16:59   #41

Boat: a sailing boat
Gunboat.

But make sure you sail a fast cat across some bumpy water before you spend your money, you might be very disappointed in the comfort department.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:36   #42

Boat: Outremer 45 catamaran
As I say - keep the speed off and you will be far more comfortable in a solid multihull. If you choose to go fast in bad weather you will break men and gear. We kept going when 30 monohulls retired in 45kt conditions hard on the wind in very bumpy seas. Our crew were in good condition and manged to run the Arran leg in very good times. See the results.
bairdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:01   #43

Chris White

Obviously they are not cheap, but I would argue a Chris White Atlantic offers the best mix of luxury fit and finish along with truly impressive performance. So many variables on boat speeds - having said that, I sailed on a (loaded) A55 from Halifax to Puerto Rico this past fall in 8.5 days... Boat speed averaged in the teens, topped at 20kts - the boat has seen 26kts before (non of which was surfing).

Handles big seas incredibly well, awesome BD clearance, ridiculously comfortable live-aboard qualities, huge galley, tons of storage, inside helm station, boards aid in performance... I could go on. Something to be said when you can comfortably bake fresh bread, read a book and relax while averaging 15kts 1000nm off-shore.

I wasn't sure how I'd like the forward "mono-style" helm station (vs the typical aft position). I was surprised how nice it was... Terrific, protected station right at the mast, all lines are right there as opposed to having to run them aft (or worse, hidden like a Catana - I wouldn't want to have to work on that setup in heavy weather). Having that forward location offers incredible visibility. A little extra attention must be given aft when docking, but hardly an issue worth mentioning. If things get nasty, the inside helm station is terrific. Great orientation with the inside helm and nav stations both facing forward. Visibility in the pilot house is phenomenal - this is a true sailor's cat.

As with any discussion such as this, it's very personal... Just my .02, but the A55 or A57 would be my first pick, hands down. It's an active, exciting boat to sail (or race) and a serious passage maker. Chris White sure knows what he's doing.... and he does it with (a lot of) style!

ps: They are cheaper & much nicer in fit/finish than a big Gunboat. In my opinion overall more "bomb proof" with things hit the fan. Gunboats are cool toys, but with all the hype, I think there are better boats for the buck in that category.
cbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 13:07   #44

Boat: a sailing boat
For more than average comfort Catana. Not as fast as the Gunboat but fast enough anyway.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 13:42   #45

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Wow!...One of my main dislikes of cats is the helm stations..It just looks to much like driving a car to me...But this is remarkable!...I like this allot...First cat I've seen where i could actually see myself in it.

Very cool indeed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chris White A57 Cockpit.jpg
Views:	1149
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	13780  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote