Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2017, 21:43   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Factory Status of Lagoon

A good friend of mine is ready to buy a large cruising multihull and has asked my opinion on the Lagoon.

Reading a number of comments here from Lagoon Owners, my sense is that they may have become a victim of their own incredible success.

For those who deal with them and thier distributers......are they struggling to maintain good quality control and equipment development due to the full order books and large demand?

Any truth to this as the design does appeal to my friend?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 22:55   #2

Re: Factory Status of Lagoon

Quote "Reading a number of comments here from Lagoon Owners, my sense is that they may have become a victim of their own incredible success."

To try to decide on a Lagoon catamarans fit for purpose from the internet, is fraught with issues. The fact that Lagoon currently builds 30% of the Worlds New Cruising Catamarans would on the face of it mean that 3 out of every 10 complaints about catamarans on the internet will be Lagoon. If they where all equal in build quality.

Lagoon's published last year turnover of 650 Million Euro must equal somewhere around 650 boats a year. So if they truly have become a victim of their own success and are struggling to maintain good quality control and equipment development, seems to me there ought to be a lot more people her screaming about it, than in fact there are.

65 customers complaining about Brand X on the internet this year

where as only

2 customers complaining about Brand Y on the internet this year.

Assumption Brand Y has the better Quality control.

but once looked at in conjunction with unit sales

Brand X sells 650 units per year
Brand Y sells 20 units per year

Both have a 10% complaint rate.

It all comes down to numbers, if the quality and design was not what the market wanted, they would not be the largest single manufacturer of cruising catamarans in the world today.

If they where not fit to sail away from the sight of land, as some would suggest on this forum. They would not be doing so every day in greater and greater numbers.

That's only my opinion, am I biased most probably. Will it help your friend make a decision, probably not.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 00:14   #3

LOL. I wonder if people said the same thing about Ford Motor Company when Model T sales started to rise?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 06:04   #4
CF Adviser

Thanks Paul.
The reason I asked this and specifically of Lagoon owners is to avoid false perceptions and speculations from those without customer experience...

I am especiallyy intrested in comments from return customers who can compare both product and customer service in the last 10 years.
Old 17-07-2017, 06:54   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
A good friend of mine is ready to buy a large cruising multihull and has asked my opinion on the Lagoon.

Reading a number of comments here from Lagoon Owners, my sense is that they may have become a victim of their own incredible success.

For those who deal with them and thier distributers......are they struggling to maintain good quality control and equipment development due to the full order books and large demand?

Any truth to this as the design does appeal to my friend?
My wife just sailed our brand new 450s from les sables to Gibraltar (1000nm) and suffered 1 loose nut on the port engine riser.

No chafed lines, no loose panels, no broken latches, handles or drawers, no electrical issues, no plumbing issues. Sorry, I forgot when we arrived in France at night the lights wouldn't come on in the owners hull. The fuse was very slightly loose. Drama over.

When we visited the factory, the quality control guys had red stickers on bits that needed attention and some of them were tiny! I'm a perfectionist and can honestly say I was surprised at the attention to detail.

There are plenty of areas where the boat needs improvement post factory but that's another topic.

Hope this helps

I hope this helps with you quality concerns.
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 07:40   #6

Hello, I am new to the sailing world. Is it true that more sailors are beginning to use multihulls for oversea voyages? Additionally, in regards to multihulls, I've heard of trimarans (was not impressed by the reviews), are cats the only multihull on the market?
andrewTSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 09:00   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote "Reading a number of comments here from Lagoon Owners, my sense is that they may have become a victim of their own incredible success."

To try to decide on a Lagoon catamarans fit for purpose from the internet, is fraught with issues. The fact that Lagoon currently builds 30% of the Worlds New Cruising Catamarans would on the face of it mean that 3 out of every 10 complaints about catamarans on the internet will be Lagoon. If they where all equal in build quality.

Lagoon's published last year turnover of 650 Million Euro must equal somewhere around 650 boats a year. So if they truly have become a victim of their own success and are struggling to maintain good quality control and equipment development, seems to me there ought to be a lot more people her screaming about it, than in fact there are.

65 customers complaining about Brand X on the internet this year

where as only

2 customers complaining about Brand Y on the internet this year.

Assumption Brand Y has the better Quality control.

but once looked at in conjunction with unit sales

Brand X sells 650 units per year
Brand Y sells 20 units per year

Both have a 10% complaint rate.

It all comes down to numbers, if the quality and design was not what the market wanted, they would not be the largest single manufacturer of cruising catamarans in the world today.

If they where not fit to sail away from the sight of land, as some would suggest on this forum. They would not be doing so every day in greater and greater numbers.

That's only my opinion, am I biased most probably. Will it help your friend make a decision, probably not.
An additional consideration is, years age a dissatisfied customer tells eight a satisfied tells two. Lord only knows what it my be today with the net?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 09:29   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

A very good analysis by PaulinOz. Number of units always equates to number of complaints. I would comment that the selling dealer can also make or break the new boat experience. Some sell on price and no service. Some excel at delivery and service.

Group Beneteau (parent of Lagoon) is the largest yacht builder in the world. They build on price and volume but just like any product built, you can always spend more money to get a higher quality product. Like look at Phil Berman's Balance Catamaran or the Gun Boat. There are just fewer people in that market.

I think the big thing most Cat buyers miss is this a good sailing Cat or is it a floating condo that can sail?
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 12:35   #9
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtBroker View Post

I think the big thing most Cat buyers miss is this a good sailing Cat or is it a floating condo that can sail?
My question has nothing to do with "Sail" performance but more about "After Sales" Performance.

My friend has owned Feadships who excel at customer support for the lifetime of the Ownership.

To me, that is a sales feature that is priceless on a new build and again, I am wondering how well Lagoon is managing that factor?
Old 17-07-2017, 12:59   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Lagoons seem to stand up to the rough and tumble of crusing life better than most cats even models that are much more expensive.

The aftersales treatment from the factory generally seems poor, but personally I would rather have a boat with fewer issues especially more significant structural problems.

However, I have never personally owned a Lagoon so I am just passing on an impression from owners I have met.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 13:26   #11

Pelagic, I'm sure you are aware that there is a whole section on this forum devoted to Lagoon catamarans. Here you will read about all the attributes and issues of Lagoon catamarans. One thing that seems evident to me is how Lagoon owners are very candid about these issues. They do not see their boats through the "rose coloured glasses" of owners of some other makes. Every fault, upgrade or required modification of every model is discussd on this forum. There are other brands of catamaran that I know have experienced major issues, but these are not aired on this forum in the same way or at all.

From personal experience, my Lagoon 400 developed rot in structural and non-structural timber under the water tanks. This was acknowledged and repairs to my satisfaction were paid for by Lagoon, despite the vessel being 5 years old and me being the second owner. The whole process is described in the Lagoon Manufacturers section of this forum.
Old 17-07-2017, 13:32   #12
CF Adviser

Thanks Tuskie, I was not aware of how open and proactive the CF Lagoon Forum was.
Are there any other Lagoon Forums I can point my friend towards?
Old 17-07-2017, 13:35   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450

A larger Lagoon owner may want to confirm this, but I have been told by a Lagoon employee owners of 52's and up get a direct phone number to a Lagoon employee for after market issues.

Lagoon 450 owners and smaller must go through the dealer who sold them the boat for after market issues.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 14:04   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Having an issue with any co get the corp. office speak or write like you have a brain.
**** flows down hill.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 15:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Thanks Tuskie, I was not aware of how open and proactive the CF Lagoon Forum was.
Are there any other Lagoon Forums I can point my friend towards?
There is a Yahoo Lagoon Owners closed group that he could join.

Tags
lagoon